E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Am I the only E90 owner who thinks IS350 is kicking some ass?

10-12-2005, 10:06 AM   #45
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
for me...the E90 looks better everyday. As for the New IS, it's already starting to look old. Don't know why, but it just looks like all the other Japanese cars out there....nothing really special about its style.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #46
ericd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e91 S/P/CW/X/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5
WOW LEXUS HATER!

Our 04 RX330 is perfect!
Indeed I am a lexus hater. Ours is in litigation at this time for Lemon Law. I've never driven a perfect rx330 - even the loaners sounded like the minivan-style dash was going to fall into your lap. Ours is an 05, but I heard the 04's were even more squeaky.

I guess we just have higher levels of taste

Kidding. No offense. But I am more sensitive to rattles and noises on a $40k car. Ours was in 11 times in the first 12 weeks. Currently it has only 5500 miles on it.
      10-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #47
ericd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e91 S/P/CW/X/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska
for me...the E90 looks better everyday. As for the New IS, it's already starting to look old. Don't know why, but it just looks like all the other Japanese cars out there....nothing really special about its style.
Isn't that odd. I have to agree that german cars grow on me over time. japanese cars look really cool for about a month then start to look dated really fast. (acura and lexus especially - look at the MDX- what were they thinking?)
      10-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #48
thd13
Major
Rep
Drives: A07 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Wow Ericd, sorry to hear about your experiences. I think you have exactly what you stated, a lemon. I also have a 2005 RX330 and it is very nice though. I am taking it in this week for the 5000 mile service and haven't had any problems yet.

I wouldn't say that you have a higher level of taste, but maybe you are just more sensitive to the squeaks and rattles. Then again, maybe I am just too deaf to hear them. Or I just don't care about them. I'll listen out next time I drive in it.
      10-12-2005, 10:21 AM   #49
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd
Indeed I am a lexus hater. Ours is in litigation at this time for Lemon Law. I've never driven a perfect rx330 - even the loaners sounded like the minivan-style dash was going to fall into your lap. Ours is an 05, but I heard the 04's were even more squeaky.

I guess we just have higher levels of taste

Kidding. No offense. But I am more sensitive to rattles and noises on a $40k car. Ours was in 11 times in the first 12 weeks. Currently it has only 5500 miles on it.
Are you talking about that noise near the speedo when its cold out? try a little lube thats all!

Dude e90's have lots of rattles! seatbelts, some near navi system. I have a shimmy when its hot out also.

Warning you may hate your e91 when it comes in if you dont like rattles.

If you have higher taste then you need to make more money and get better cars. These are 40-50k cars! Give me a break like thats a lot of money today! No car is perfect!

I understand you pain and anger with the lemon law problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #50
wac77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 330i Xdrive

First, I think the Lexus IS is a very good car. It's good looking, and reasonably distinctive. It will probably have the high Lexus quality and reliability. The IS350 in particular seems to be faster than a 330i. Even in handling it comes close to the bimmer (I drove both back to back at the Taste of Lexus event).

But
- no MT with the larger engine or AWD
- traction control cannot be switched off
- still one notch below BMW for enthusiasts
- almost as expensive as the BMW

And I personally prefer the E90 look and feel.

I think the IS, though aimed at the 3-series, will steal more sales from Infiniti and even MB than from BMW. And, since the anual sales target in the US is a modest 45000 units, I don't see a big impact on BMW sales.
      10-12-2005, 10:57 AM   #51
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Good opinions again. Damn. I didn't expect so many responses.

I have another question. Those of you claiming IS350 is "boring" and not a driver's car.
Have you guys actually drove the new IS350? or just judging that they
are not driver's car without driving them for awhile or from previous lexus
experience.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #52
jiggax23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

as mentioned before, until you really push the car, you're barely gonna notice a difference in driving dynamics, you might not even notice it at all... but there are times where we get the opportunity to let loose, and these are the times when i enjoy owning a bmw. i have not driven the new IS, so i can't say whether or not i'd enjoy it as much as my bmw during the opportune times, but it seems like lexus is really out to make a car w/ driving dynamics as good as bmw (at least their commercial's on the radio here in so. cal seem to give off that perception). but one of the big selling points to me that bmw offered was the free maintenance. it's not much, 50,000 miles or 4 years for service, but EVERYTHING is covered, which was, in my opinion, worth it. also the resale value of the bmw was a pretty big factor in my final decision.

in terms of my opinion of the new IS. i actually like it a lot. havent checked out the new IS interior, but if its anything like the old one, the parts do seem a little cheaper than what bmw has offered in their 3-series. i really like the fact that they have put out the fastest car in the segment (that is until the 335 comes out). that is something i wish bmw would have done w/ the 330, but something that i can surely get over. if someone opts for a IS over a 3-series, i would not look down on them or question their decision, but for me, the 3-series was the best choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 02:03 PM   #53
Gantra
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

I'm about to place my order and am leaning toward the 330i. I actually haven't driven either car and am basing my current thinking on what the automotive press has concluded thus far: that the bmw is the driver’s car of the two though the Lexus is a close 2nd. I'm going to test drive both cars this weekend and then place the order. I'm sorry I won't have an opportunity to drive them on the track to compare before this happens as the Lexus Tour won’t be in Orange County till mid-November, and I ain’t gonna wait.

The last car I owned was an s2000 and that was certainly one of the most responsive and fun cars ever built. People here who generalize by saying Japanese cars are inferior to German cars are nothing more than German car fanboys. Each car must be judged on its merits and few here have driven the IS350. Also, nothing stays the same. German cars have been for decades the best cars out there on the high end of the market but they now have real competition from the Japanese and this will only increase. The trends show the Japanese are gaining ground. With every successive generation, the Japanese cars edge closer to the German benchmarks. Toyota is about to become the biggest car company in the world. They will have the money and resources to develop competitive products in every segment and they're moving in that direction with speed. In the next ten years, the Japanese will be competing with the Germans at every level and every segment of the car market. If the Germans get their asses in gear and improve their weaknesses, we’ll all be the winners and I hope this happens.

That said <pausing to take a deep breath>, I like the exterior of the BMW but there are things I like about the interior of the Lexus very much, including the lovely wood trim. Both cars are great looking overall.

My area of concern is with the reported lack of communicativeness of the IS350 steering and the VDIM system that gets in the way of the driving experience. Pretty much all of the press has concluded that the IS350 just isn’t as fun and doesn’t give the driver the connectedness that the 330i gives. This is the big difference and the one I’ll be judging for myself very shortly.

Last edited by Gantra; 10-13-2005 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 02:06 PM   #54
lhoboy8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

Garage List
2000 323ci  [0.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
The IS is amazing technology-wise. Touch-screen navigation, bluetooth, plays video and audio DVDs, 6cd changer, amazing audio system. I'm sure this alone will steal alot of BMW sales. Plus the 350 is fast. I've seen a lot of BMW drivers on the IS boards considering the IS. Too bad it has no manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 02:26 PM   #55
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Ventilated seats on the IS will be a plus for some folks. The IS wins the luxury battle, but loses the fun-to-drive sports battle. My priority is the latter. If I had to commute in LA the IS would be a great choice (but the small back seat would kill it because I have 3 kids that barely fit in the E46). BMW is in trouble image-wise in the sports segment until they get the 335i on line.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #56
blackE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: sp blk 330i

the biggest advantage for me is lexus has such nice hassle free service, they are very courteous and always take care of their customers...in my experience...so far bmw service has been blah
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 06:40 PM   #57
Accounting4Speed
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Something I contemplated on my ride home yesterday, who are going to drive the new IS? Well, lets think about it real quick. Current Lexus offerings that are similar to the IS, the old IS, the ES, and the GS. I think Lexus is going to experience A LOT of cannibalization of their current products. I can see a lot of people asking themselves, why would I buy an ES330 when I can get the IS? So, will this car sell, probably more than the previous IS, I mean hell, their sales have nowhere else to go but up. Also, they may take away a few BMW drivers, but the majority they are gonna steal are from Infiniti, which makes an OK car, but we all agree that Lexus makes a better car. Lastly, as to some of the luxury options, Mark-Levinson stereos stink. My father has a LX470 and the stereo was TERRIBLE. I had a Saab 9-5 with vented seats, the most worthless gimick ever. And being able to watch DVD's on the NAV screen is pointless because the car has to be in park and most DVD formats don't seem to work (from the times I've tried using it). Hope this might encourage a few folks that were thinking of the IS and shouldn't be.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 06:52 PM   #58
selm
Fight On!
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I can't really add much to what has already been said, but what about the IS250 compared to the 325i? The IS250 is a 6 speed manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 07:45 PM   #59
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
It doesnt come with Stick. Who the hell designs a sports sedan without a manual transmission? I dont care if it shifts 5 times faster. If I wanted an F1 gearbox, I'd save up for a Ferrari.

This was the one of the first things I found out about the car, and it was the one thing that really made the E90 the only choice for myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #60
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
And please, do not make such ignorant comments, such as "its still a toyota".
It's still a Toyota.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
Well, that "toyota" is faster and more reliable than us. So lets be careful.
Faster and more reliable than us? Us as a group? Now who's making ignorant comments?
      10-13-2005, 08:14 PM   #61
jiggax23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accounting4Speed
Lastly, as to some of the luxury options, Mark-Levinson stereos stink. My father has a LX470 and the stereo was TERRIBLE.
You've gotta be kidding right? The Mark Levinson system is perhaps the best stock system out. It might not have the heart pounding bass, or bleeding highs that the aftermarket systems have. But for a stock system, it's damn amazing. I understand people have different taste in sound, but even a novice can tell that the Mark Levinson system is no ordinary system.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 08:17 PM   #62
Athos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6-spd

How many people honestly buy a car largely on the basis of purely rational criteria. I think I'm like a lot of people. I ruminate over the pros and cons, drive the cars, etc. But there is a car among them all that I WANT. That's the one I buy. In my case, I really wanted a 330i and I didn't want the IS350 If someone comes out on the opposite side of the equation, that's fine with me.

(personally, I can't imagine wanting a Lexus any more than a Pomeranian but if that's what you're into....) Oh yeah, forgive my ignorance but my butt says "it's still just a toyota."
      10-13-2005, 08:36 PM   #63
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theclay
It's still a Toyota.

Faster and more reliable than us? Us as a group? Now who's making ignorant comments?
Ok, thumbs up for making ignorant comments. here you go.

I'll save my sarcasm, but I assume you drive E90, same car as me.
So yes, when I said "us", ALL OF US.

Toyota is PROVEN better reliability than BMW. Period.
If you think your E90 is faster than IS350, go ahead.
Because its not. Automatic IS350 is faster than 6spd E90. period.

I don't see ANY point in you quoting me. You didn't make any statement that made any sense to me.

Overwhelming pride of BMW owners causes some biased/ignorant comments sometimes.
"Its still a toyota", so what. Its cheaper, faster, performs just as good, and looks wise,
its subjective so don't judge on that. Even though I don't like the way IS350 looks.
Just because some magazine reviews scored E90 as No.1, doesn't mean it really is.
I heard C&D's review calculated the scores wrong.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 08:48 PM   #64
NaTuReB0Y