BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #199
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Hey folks,

Haven't forgot about the forum. Been busy updating and posting some new Subaru stuff, and getting back to our fabrication shop to refine the the midpipe for the BMW so we can release it hopefully right on time at the end of the month. I've been struggling with the new camera to get sound clips that are sound real. The new camera is mounted to my bumper...problem is the camera gets mounted in a thick plastic case that actually covers the mic. The sound comes through but it's muffled and you end up with some unusual noise. So to hold us over I just put my old Sony hi8 on a tripod and grabbed a couple quick clips earlier this evening.

I should make one thing clear about the midpipe and the return policies ect. Our Whisper axleback has a 2 week money back gaurantee. That's two weeks from the confirmed delivery date to you, not from when we ship it. That is a return policy that allows you to install the exhaust to ensure it meets or exceeds your expectation.Our Midpipe when bought with a Whisper has the same policy...however, the midpipe alone does not have the same policy. Unless there is a manufacturing flaw the midpipe alone does not have the same 2 week return policy. This is of course primarily because we can't control how things will sound with other exhausts. To be clear, the Whisper axleback section is responsible for most of the sound dampening that is going on with our full downpipe back setup. The patented exhaust packing we bring in from Germany plays a big role, and the tuning of the baffle in the axleback as well as proper sizing and material thickness, ect. all play a role as well. I know some folks will be mating with MadDad midpipe with potentially a number of other axleback sections and I'm sure it will do a great job and bring the volume down a bit vs. midpipes without any resonators, but there is no return policy if your exhaust ends up too loud or the small amount of drone you had previously becomes too much. The axleback exhaust section will always have more to due with sound damping than the midpipe, certainly it does on this car. If you don't have a muffler you cannot expect the midpipe to due the job of one. I'm not saying this to scare people, I'm saying it to set expectation for those that might consider the purcase of a MadDad midpipe to made with an axleback that has no muffler. I could be wrong and the combo might be just right, but my assumption is that it's going to be loud by most people's definition.

Now back to where we are at. We've made some small adjustments to our midpipe jig to give the pipe some extra clearance in certain spots where we were a bit close to a heathshield or underbrace. We weren't touching anything and could have left these areas alone, but I'm mounted to the factory downpipe. I know some folks at some point will mount the midpipe to other downpipes so we want to give some extra wiggle room for mounting with other aftermarket parts that might not have as exact fitment as the factory. In addtion we're making a small change to the resonators to alter the tone a bit. Even with a Whisper axleback there is a little too much bass in the cabin for my taste so we are making appropriate adjustments to alter the sound frequency to minimize it further. Even so, I've logged about 1000 miles since I've had it installed with many highway runs to/from the airport weekly and at highway cruise at about 2500 rpm it just purrs along like it was some factory exhaust..nice ! We've already ordered all materials for the first run. Part is up on the website. I'll be starting a separate thread for this item as well so if you have interest in getting one of the first units I'd order in the next week or so.

Here is the vid I grabbed earlier today. Will try and grab some more but really need a camera man(my brother never showed ).

Last edited by maddad; 01-07-2010 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #200
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
sounds F'n SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!

holy crap...cant wait
      01-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #201
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Thanks for the update and the video clip.

The maddad downpipe exhaust sounds very civilised whilst still having a clear presence on the road. I can see how this setup is going to appeal to many people and I'm glad that this option is available to us. One thing that particularly appeals to me is the distinct burble and crackle at low rpm's when coasting around in lower gears, very nice.

However, that being said I think I've decided to go with a louder exhaust for now. I'm still young and I've never had a proper sports car before so now is probably the best time for me to get one. Also, I'm getting a great deal on another axelback if I commit today. If I wanted something a bit more civilised with a tasteful sound this would definitely be the exhaust I would go for though. Also, everyone has been very satisfied with the quality of fitment and finish.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #202
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey that's no worry. It's great that you guys have a number of options today. We've always made exhaust that are "niche" and have a very specific appeal. If I was 19 again(not saying you are) I don't think I'd be buying MadDad either ...but wait, if I was 19 again we would have made our exhaust very different . It's all good. We should all be happy there are a number of quality choices today. Think back to 12 months ago, things were pretty different.

R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Thanks for the update and the video clip.

The maddad downpipe exhaust sounds very civilised whilst still having a clear presence on the road. I can see how this setup is going to appeal to many people and I'm glad that this option is available to us. One thing that particularly appeals to me is the distinct burble and crackle at low rpm's when coasting around in lower gears, very nice.

However, that being said I think I've decided to go with a louder exhaust for now. I'm still young and I've never had a proper sports car before so now is probably the best time for me to get one. Also, I'm getting a great deal on another axelback if I commit today. If I wanted something a bit more civilised with a tasteful sound this would definitely be the exhaust I would go for though. Also, everyone has been very satisfied with the quality of fitment and finish.
      01-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #203
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
i want mine now
      01-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #204
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Finally figured out how to get some decent sound from the new camera. Drilled a hole in the plastic case to try and let more of the sound range through. This is the mother clip many have waited for. There are a couple spots where you'll here bit of noise added. When gonig heavy on the throttle sometimes you get some vibration from the plastic case, but overall this clip is a good one, and one I've been trying to produce for a while. It's a real testament to the engineering/testing that this is a full downpipe back setup. I would guess that it's still quiter than some axleback only test-pipe setups. Remember one important point when considering your exhaust purchases. "The least expensive exhaust is the one you only had to buy once and never replace". I see it every day with my Subaru customers. They buy someone elses catback, and then they add a downpipe and can no longer stand that sound and then switch to a Whisper

01-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #205
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

If I had not bought my aFe, I would consider buying this set-up. The cat-back alone sounds too quiet to my taste, but this complete setup is right on target. Please publish the intro-price again, mid-pipe only. Thanks.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #206
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
If I had not bought my aFe, I would consider buying this set-up. The cat-back alone sounds too quiet to my taste, but this complete setup is right on target. Please publish the intro-price again, mid-pipe only. Thanks.
Actually, if you choose the SS tips the price right now is within $50 of the intro pricing from 8 months ago. We've held onto the $649.95 price on the axleback for quite a while which means your within $50 of the origonal GB price. The Midpipe is currently at it's GB price of $599.95 which is the lowest cost midpipe available with resonators that is build in the U.S. More specifically it's truley been designed and tuned rather than just generic resonators. So a whole system right now can be had for $1249.95.

The tough part people have with the axleback is that the sound bites just don't do it justice. It's a mini leap of faith I guess. But look at every single person that has bought one. Everyone has "loved" the sound despite it's quieter than average volume level. The same sound character is there it just doesn't come through well in the sound clips due to other surrounding noise that the sensitive mics pick up.

You know when I first did this exhaust I thought I'd probably just do the axleback, but like any enthusiast we have a disease and given enough time you know you want to go for the power mods..add the engine management, free up the exhaust flow via DPs, midpipes or both. This has happened to me personally over my years of car modding and I've seen it countless hundreds of times with our customers. This is why we opened up with the Whisper axleback as the first piece, knowing we would add the midpipe to complete the package and I suppose at some point we'll need to offer some MadDad DPs as well. We've got a new purpose built 200 cell race cat we just had done for one of our new Subaru DPs. I think they would be perfect for our 135i. But we have a couple other things on the burner right now. A 128 axleback...and yet one more more exhaust product for the 135i shhhhh, it's a secret.

Glad you like the new clip.

R.
      01-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #207
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

What's the other exhaust product for the 135i? Please tell!! Also, will you have DP's available for the 135i? Catted or catless?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #208
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

It sounds amazing, can't wait to see what else you got in store!
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #209
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Please let me know how to order the mid-pipe? Thanks.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #210
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Great sound, love the crackle and pop upon deceleration, and the overall baritone deep growl pickup. It is exactly what I have been looking for, very unique, and dare I say - exotic!

Great to hear more time is being spent on further development and improvements (and thought is being put into making the midpipes 'accomodating' enough for users eventually doing DPs).

Can't wait to get mine installed, Rich!!! And def keep us abreast of the catted DPs, I personally will never be putting catless DPs given the 'off-rad use only' implications, but catted ones that add power - sign me up!!!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #211
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Please let me know how to order the mid-pipe? Thanks.
Here is the direct link. Shipping hopefully end of this month. Your CC won't be charged until we are shipping. The cart will just securely gather your billing info.

http://www.daddysscp.com/ProductDeta...ctCode=MD135MP
      01-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #212
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Extended sound clip 6+ minutes

OK so I posted the "short" version of the update sound clip earlier today. I just finished cobbling together the "long" version. Another few minutes of exhaust nirvana. You get to see the extended excerpts of me picking up a sub for lunch . Actually we're all lucky, it was a sick day for me so I was at home all day and was able to cobble this all together. New camera, new video editing software...merry Christmas to me. Extended version below, it's all the same stuff as before but with a few minutes of the trip home going a different route.

To answer some other questions in regards to "what's next". Well, after we are done with the 128 axleback section were going to continue work on a dual outlet quad tip setup with replacement bumper..so there you go, cat out of the bag. I personally want a dual outlet quad tip setup and my goal is to have it available by April when I get to put the new summer wheels(I'm on the long time pre-order for the CSL Reps) and tires on. As far as downpipes, the only thing we would consider is catted versions and would more than likely be using the 200 cell(pi) metal substrate cats. Don't get too excited though as that probably won't materialize till late spring/early summer. In the meantime we'll all enjoy the offerings we have today. Here's the update clip...

Last edited by maddad; 01-09-2010 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #213
driftmotion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, 335i GT, e46 M3 vert SC

hey ...... anymore info for me ??????
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #214
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Was the sound clips produced by a 6 speed or atuo car? Please let us know. It sure sounds nice. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #215
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Sounds really nice! I'll be ordering soon
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #216
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

driftmotino - pm'd you.

My135 - my car is a 6sp. I don't think we have anyone with an automatic..at least that I know of. If you want to test the axleback first on your automatic let me know and I can work out the return policy for you to include freight as well so we can get the "automatic" testing out of the way and get some real feedback. So $0 risk if you don't like it. This is a one time offer I'll extend to anyone with an automatic. Normally freight is not refundable with the 2 week return policy. I think most would agree its pretty fair since our return policy allows you to test the exhaust to ensure it meets your expectation, and is offered on every purchase.

R.
      01-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #217
driftmotion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, 335i GT, e46 M3 vert SC

I have an auto .... i'll be glad to do the testing for you .... maybe even some vids!!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #218
sbefar01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1er

Any clips of 5000+rpm? Thats the good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #219
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbefar01 View Post
Any clips of 5000+rpm? Thats the good stuff!
Might be able to accomodate before the weekend is out

R.
      01-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #220
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

Fabulous sound and video quality! First, thanks for answering the question I was going to ask about development of the 128 axle back, glad to hear that's on track. Question, what cam did you use? I got a Kodak Zi8 for Christmas and have begun to play with it's software. Tell a quick bit about your mount method, and did you use an external mike? Thanks!
Appreciate 0