BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-14-2014, 03:02 AM   #1
Tee-Jay
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Silver 135i DCT [E82]

2011 135i DCT unusual / poor handling

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new here - I have a 2010.5 135i DCT (N55) with very low ks (30,000) which has recently developed a very unusual handling problem.

On moderate right hand turns it feels like the DTC / e-diff is kicking in, car starts to suddenly feel like it's under steering and steering goes vague. Yes it feels like is losing traction, but this feeling is occurring at abnormally low speeds (eg 60-80 kph) compared to what the car would normally be capable of.

It feels like the diff is locked or rear brakes are engaging. (Resulting in a feeling like someone is stabbing at the rear brakes if coasting downhill off throttle through a right-hand bend)

Tires are in reasonable condition and fully inflated (38-40 psi)

I took it into my local dealer yesterday and they checked the OBD and said there was a code for restricted engine power due to brakes overheat. Which is weird because I doubt I would have driven it that hard recently. And I have no recollection of noticing less power than normal.

I'm feeling a bit short of ideas other than getting a full checkover of suspension / tyres / wheel alignment. (Dealer could not check alignment on weekend)

There are a lot of potholes in the area I live which occasionally pop up in new unexpected places, so I do think it is possible that something is damaged from a particularly nasty one (there have been some wince moments). but it's not obvious what it would be.

Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 04:09 AM   #2
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Try driving with the dtc button pressed once, I believe that is traction off and dsc on. Mine started something similar recently, where on cornering I will get an initial jolt then pause and I'm thinking I'm just losing traction.
Appreciate 0