BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

A/C "Auto" button question

Hey all,

My "auto" button function seemed to change for some reason. Before, when I pressed "auto," it auto controlled the AC unit, then when I pressed "auto" again, auto turned off and fan intensity went back down to one bar.
But lately, I haven't been able to turn "auto" off. When I press the "auto" button to turn it off, instead of the intensity going down to one bar, it stays on.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about or what might be wrong?
Not a big problem at all but thought I'd ask.
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbimmer19 View Post
Hey all,

My "auto" button function seemed to change for some reason. Before, when I pressed "auto," it auto controlled the AC unit, then when I pressed "auto" again, auto turned off and fan intensity went back down to one bar.
But lately, I haven't been able to turn "auto" off. When I press the "auto" button to turn it off, instead of the intensity going down to one bar, it stays on.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about or what might be wrong?
Not a big problem at all but thought I'd ask.
Thanks in advance!

According to the '08 manual, repeatedly pressing the AUTO button alters the intensity - but only on iDrive equipped vehicles.

The AC is usually turned off by pressing the AC button.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Turning Auto off should return the HVAC setting to whatever it was prior to hitting the Auto button to turn it on. For example, if you've manually selected the dash vents and two bars for the fan speed, when you hit the Auto button to turn Auto mode off, the system should revert to the dash vents and two bars on the fan speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Turning Auto off should return the HVAC setting to whatever it was prior to hitting the Auto button to turn it on. For example, if you've manually selected the dash vents and two bars for the fan speed, when you hit the Auto button to turn Auto mode off, the system should revert to the dash vents and two bars on the fan speed.
That's what mine used to do as well, but not anymore. I can't seem to turn auto off. Hmm
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Annnnd now it's completely broken. When I press the auto button, fan intensity goes up and I can hear the fan, but no air comes out of any vents; top, front, bottom.
This is sooooo annoying, wow.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quick follow up question guys,

With "AUTO" off, is it possible to have all three (top, mid, bottom) air distribution green lights out?

If anyone could please check this, I'd really appreciate it. I'm going in for service in a week.
Thanks all!

(If my question was not clear, when "AUTO" is ON, all air distribution green lights go out. How about when "AUTO" is off? green lights come back on, right? And I believe it isn't possible to turn them all off. My HVAC isn't functioning correctly so I can't check)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quick follow up question guys,

With "AUTO" off, is it possible to have all three (top, mid, bottom) air distribution green lights out?

If anyone could please check this, I'd really appreciate it. I'm going in for service in a week.
Thanks all!

(If my question was not clear, when "AUTO" is ON, all air distribution green lights go out. How about when "AUTO" is off? green lights come back on, right? And I believe it isn't possible to turn them all off. My HVAC isn't functioning correctly so I can't check)
I think if you exit Auto mode by just changing the fan speed manually, the vent buttons will remain off. I think in this case, the vent position is still automatic.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think if you exit Auto mode by just changing the fan speed manually, the vent buttons will remain off. I think in this case, the vent position is still automatic.
So you're supposed to be able to exit Auto mode on just fan speed but not air distribution and it stays automatic?

Well, right now that seems to be the way it's working actually. I can't exit Auto mode by pressing the Auto button, like I used to be able to. I can only exit Auto mode by changing the fan speed manually, but air distribution stays on Auto mode, which I'm pretty sure isn't supposed to. AKA my HVAC is not functioning correctly.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Honestly, it sounds like your system is functioning normally. The only way to get full manual control is to manually select a fan speed, a recirculate position, and a vent position. Even then, however, the air temp will still be controlled automatically since the temp displayed on the display isn't the temp of the air exiting the vents, but rather the desired cabin temp. If you exit Auto mode by manually selecting a fan speed, the rest of the system is still automatically controlled. If you exit Auto mode by manually selecting a vent position, again, the rest of the system is still controlled automatically. I've had several cars with automatic climate control and this is how they all functioned.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, it sounds like your system is functioning normally. The only way to get full manual control is to manually select a fan speed, a recirculate position, and a vent position. Even then, however, the air temp will still be controlled automatically since the temp displayed on the display isn't the temp of the air exiting the vents, but rather the desired cabin temp. If you exit Auto mode by manually selecting a fan speed, the rest of the system is still automatically controlled. If you exit Auto mode by manually selecting a vent position, again, the rest of the system is still controlled automatically. I've had several cars with automatic climate control and this is how they all functioned.
Hmm, thanks for response. So I guess being able to turn off Auto in one function but not the rest is normal. However, my system still does not function the way it used to. I used to be able to exit Auto mode by pressing the Auto button, which I can't do anymore.
Before, I used to turn the system on by pressing the big fan button, then I pressed the Auto button and let it do its own thing. Then I used to be able to press the Auto button to exit Auto mode with fan intensity returning to one bar. My system does not do the last step anymore.
I wish someone here would take a minute and check that for me... Can you try to exit Auto mode by pressing the Auto button for me please AW128i? I would really appreciate that. I used to be able to do that, but not anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, thanks for response. So I guess being able to turn off Auto in one function but not the rest is normal. However, my system still does not function the way it used to. I used to be able to exit Auto mode by pressing the Auto button, which I can't do anymore.
Before, I used to turn the system on by pressing the big fan button, then I pressed the Auto button and let it do its own thing. Then I used to be able to press the Auto button to exit Auto mode with fan intensity returning to one bar. My system does not do the last step anymore.
I wish someone here would take a minute and check that for me... Can you try to exit Auto mode by pressing the Auto button for me please AW128i? I would really appreciate that. I used to be able to do that, but not anymore.
Just tested my '08 128i cabrio and pressing AUTO while in Auto mode DOES NOT EXIT Auto mode. The only thing it does is to bring up the iDrive Intensity screen as I indicated the manual said it would do in my earlier post.

Either yours was malfunctioning before or you have caught CRS (can't remember s--t) from me.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Just tested my '08 128i cabrio and pressing AUTO while in Auto mode DOES NOT EXIT Auto mode. The only thing it does is to bring up the iDrive Intensity screen as I indicated the manual said it would do in my earlier post.

Either yours was malfunctioning before or you have caught CRS (can't remember s--t) from me.

Tom
Thanks a lot, Tom. Now I'm down to three possibilities. 1. Software update changed how Auto functions 2. Auto button is broken on mine and yours and some others 3. I got CRS.

But I swear I'm not making stuff up, I used to be able to exit Auto by pressing the auto button. What it did was return settings to what it was prior to activating auto mode. For example, after I turn on the system by pressing the big fan button (1 bar), I pressed the auto button to let it do it's own thing (usually goes to 5-6 bars) then I used to be able to exit Auto by pressing auto and the bar would drop down to 1 bar.
Maybe it was not functioning right then as you said.

Thanks much for taking time to test for me, I really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Tom. Now I'm down to three possibilities. 1. Software update changed how Auto functions 2. Auto button is broken on mine and yours and some others 3. I got CRS.

But I swear I'm not making stuff up, I used to be able to exit Auto by pressing the auto button. What it did was return settings to what it was prior to activating auto mode. For example, after I turn on the system by pressing the big fan button (1 bar), I pressed the auto button to let it do it's own thing (usually goes to 5-6 bars) then I used to be able to exit Auto by pressing auto and the bar would drop down to 1 bar.
Maybe it was not functioning right then as you said.

Thanks much for taking time to test for me, I really appreciate it
No problem - you're welcome.

Since I never turn the system on with the fan button and then AUTO (I just hit AUTO and turn off the A/C if not needed), maybe that makes a difference.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Turns out, mine functions the same way as Tom's; i.e., hitting Auto a second time does not exit Auto mode. Weird...I too believe that it used to exit Auto mode!! Perhaps a software update somewhere along the lines changed that behavior? That's my guess because I only ever hit the Auto button on purpose to turn on Auto mode and even that is very infrequent because I leave it in Auto mode just about 99.9% of the time, only adjusting the temp periodically or turning the A/C on or off.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Weird...I too believe that it used to exit Auto mode!! Perhaps a software update somewhere along the lines changed that behavior?
Yeah, it used to for sure. Because I remember I used to press Auto to exit the mode and then pressed the small fan button one more time to turn the system off.
Now that I can't exit Auto mode by pressing Auto button, I have to press the small fan button like 6 times lol.
I'm guessing a software update or all of ours are broken hahaha
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Can't you just press and hold the fan down button? I don't think you have to keep pressing it, but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #17
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok guys, for anyone interested, it seems like how the Auto mode functions have been changed (software update?) or broken on many of our cars.
I'm going in for service on the 24th. I'll update you guys then.

Happy driving!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #18
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can't you just press and hold the fan down button? I don't think you have to keep pressing it, but I could be wrong.
Ha, good idea. I shall try that next time I drive my car. Thanks
Appreciate 0