BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
theonlynameleft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i all stock

2008 128i FINISHED (FINALLY) polishing and waxing, first time with the 7424xp!

Hey everyone, I said I was going to put before and after pictures, but the thing is I work midnight shifts and when I got home I couldn't sleep, once it stopped raining I decided to give the car a quick wash (I washed it 2 days ago) to get any dirt/grime off of it, I then pulled the car back into the garage and it then started raining again, I then just clayed the hood as I went over the whole car and the hood only seemed to be the worst spot.

Note: I am not done detailing my car, all I did today was wash, clay, polish and wax and cleaned the windows etc. The interior I will be doing tomorrow or sunday.

*As of right now, I have been awake for 24 hours so I am extremely tired and going to sleep when I am done this post.

***Note*** The reason it is in the garage right now is because it is now REALLY hot and humid outside and I am not going out for the rest of the night so I want to let it stay moderately cool so the wax doesn't come back up in spots, that has happened to me before, not sure if its from heat, missing some when buffing out or a combination of both but it wasn't fun when that happened on my civic.

I did the polishing with the DA, however my arms were extremely tired and sore from the vibrations and I did the wax by hand instead.

Next up on the detail project, the rag top (is a boars hair brush ok? it seems really rough), the interior, and I am going to put some 'Detailer Pride Tire gel' on the tires as well (I have the applicators) however I have to clean the apartment up and I am extremely tired. Any comments/suggestions on a better wax would be greatly appreciated, maybe its just the colour of my car and how it reacts to the wax and polish, but I've seen black cars that look really wet and extremely reflective, that is the kind of finish I want.

How long should I wait between each coat of wax?

Products used:

-Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher
-Meguiars Ultimate Finish Polish
-Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax (or whatever its called).
-Sonax Wheel Cleaner full effect (man is that stuff good!)

Before the pics, I would like to say that I thought this would have come out alot nicer, however I have heard after a few days when it is fully 100% cured that it looks MUCH nicer.

The downside to waxing, my arms feel like they're still vibrating and doing this has brought out small dings (I knew about them already) and can be seen quite easily. I also expected this wax to give it a much deeper/wetter look.

I also noticed that my ENTIRE car has the orange peel effect, I am not too happy about that but hey, I can't do anything about it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also - The car does not feel like a 'buttery smooth'

I remember buying some crap 'jobmate' orbital a few years ago and waxed my 2000 civic after washing, I had nothing but the 2 bucket method, an orbital and wax and it looked absolutely amazing and I remember drinking too much and went into the garage with a bunch of friends to have a smoke and I leaned on the car and slid right off, this doesn't feel slippery like that at all, maybe a little, but not alot, I was looking to get that feel as well. I only used that orbital once, I tried it the other day to see if it still works and it does... but I'm not all that experienced with it and my 128i is like the child I dont have lol.

I also forgot to ask, how long does this NXT wax last? For the life of my I couldn't find Blackfire WetDiamond ANYWHERE here in Canada and really wish I could, I hear its quite amazing.

Last edited by theonlynameleft; 07-29-2011 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
theonlynameleft
Private First Class
Rep

Another thing I'm happy about, I looked at the hood and trunk quickly under the sun, and didn't see a single hologram or anything, I got rid of quite a few of the swirl marks with that polish, however next time I think I will use the dual action cleaner/polish that I have here, I started at the lowest aggressiveness, applied the polish using the white pad and did the wax by hand.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlynameleft View Post
I also noticed that my ENTIRE car has the orange peel effect, I am not too happy about that but hey, I can't do anything about it.Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You could always have your car's paint wet sanded and buff'd out. That will get rid of the orange peel.

Nice job on the detail though. Now its time to paint those grage walls and ceiling!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

It does look great. If you have taken the paint to the point that all you see is orange peel, then you have done well.

If the orange peel bothers you, you can have it wet sanded and buffed, as Dackelone suggested. My orange peel bothers me, too, but I'm not going to go there.

Other than the very high-end cars, orange peel is a fact of life, given the paint restrictions nowadays.

My 2005 Focus does not have orange peel. My 2009 BMW does. Go figure!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
theonlynameleft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53 View Post
It does look great. If you have taken the paint to the point that all you see is orange peel, then you have done well.

If the orange peel bothers you, you can have it wet sanded and buffed, as Dackelone suggested. My orange peel bothers me, too, but I'm not going to go there.

Other than the very high-end cars, orange peel is a fact of life, given the paint restrictions nowadays.

My 2005 Focus does not have orange peel. My 2009 BMW does. Go figure!
You'd think BMW would have some quality checks though, my moms 2010 civic, step dads 2004 Sebring (what a piece of crap), girlfriends 2010mazda3 and her moms 06 mazda6 have no orange peel but mine has it all over
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
theonlynameleft
Private First Class
Rep

I pulled it out of the garage today and it looks nice but I know it could be much nicer, I won't be using NXT again I know that, I'll be using a paste next time (any recommendations on a really good paste wax?)
Appreciate 0