BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

///M Dead pedal

Any recommendations for making the ///M dead pedal look new again? Some kind of metal polish or stainless steel cleaner?

Even with only 9K miles, the stainless steel "surround" looks grungy, dull and not clean. I usually wipe it down with whatever cleaner I'm using on the stock pedal covers, but it needs something special to restore/maintain it.

I was just reading in the other threads about the various metal polishes for exhaust tips (like Adam's Metal Polish). I was going to try that on the dead pedal.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Stainless steel is a strong, robust and durable metal that far exceeds life spans of several other materials. Stainless steel is not just one material; it is a family of chromium containing steels, which all possesses an inherent resistance to corrosion. The chromium is distributed throughout the steel and its purpose is to form a sub-microscopic surface layer of hard, adherent chromium oxide on steel, a few microns thick.

The film is known as the passive layer, and it protects the underlying material from attack by corrosive species. If the layer is damaged in any way, it instantly reforms in the presence of oxygen to protect the surface of the material."

To polish use a mild polish (Menzerna Polishing Cream) to remove stubborn stains use English Custom Polish (ECP) Showman’s Blend stainless and aluminum polish.

Menzerna Polishing Cream is a blend of cleaning agents, lubricants, and proprietary ingredients that brings out a dazzling shine on all types of metal; chrome, aluminium, magnesium, copper, stainless steel, fiberglass, and other unpainted plastics. Menzerna Polishing Cream is nonabrasive and gentle on all your vehicle’s metal surfaces.
Appreciate 0