BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
"Stuff" melted on to exhaust, how to remove?

I've some unknown material melted onto my mid pipe (very close to where it connects to the downpipes). Probably a plastic bag or something. I notice a weird smell lately and today, I finally figure it it's from the exhaust.

At first, I thought it's something in the engine bay and look all over for it.. cleaning out leaves and making sure nothing is leaking, but smell still there.. then last weekend I's working under the car I saw this weird gunk sticking out of one of the mid pipes. I tried to remove it with a damp cloth, but that stuff has "Solidify" and suck on the pipe real hard. I almost wanna use steel wool, but I don't wanna scratch the pipe.

So, cleaning guru of the forum, what can I use to remove those unknown substance? (I'd post pictures, but it's really hard to get a good focus on it coz it's slow close to the ground)

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Happened to me before, and I used a heat gun and putty knife to melt the remnants of a dry cleaning bag that I ran over and melted to my exhaust (a dozen years back). There's probably other ways to get it off, but that's what I did.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

It's hard to say because this sounds like a unique problem with an unknown material. You can start off with traditional methods like a clay bar and metal polish and see how far you get with that. If those don't work try more aggressive methods like polishes with micro-abrasives and stronger cleaners. Let us know what you try and how it progresses. Additionally if you have some good pictures that can be a big help!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0