BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

*Official* Griot's Car Care thread!

Post here your Griot's car care reviews, impressions and tips. Basically what works and what doesn't.

I'll start, I recently bought about $800 worth of stuff from them, lol.

Stuff I have tried and my initial impressions:

The Good:

1.) Car wash: Works good, average suds but seems to cut through dirt just fine.

2.) Wash bucket: Expensive but very nice. Self measuring cup at the bottom for car wash liquid is nice...no guessing. Two tier system allows dirt to be sifted at the bottom and there is a place for you to put stuff on the upper tier for it to drain without sitting in the water.

3.) Towels...The microfiber towels are all great but I REALLY like the microfiber waffle drying towels. Those are expensive but worth it. The microfiber wash mits are good, but need an interior plastic liner.

4.) Polish's....Having Jet Black I have the standard very fine swirls. I tried polish 4...nothing. Polish 2 and 3 work much better.

5.) Griot's paint sealer...AWESOME PRODUCT. Just awesome...goes on easy, off easy and looks incredible. The best non wax based sealer I have used. I will use this on every car I own.

6.) Best of Show wax. Very nice. I put it over the Paint sealer and the car looks like a mirror. It goes on easy, but is a pain in the ass to get off. I STRONGLY recommend using a bottle of griot's Spray on wax to help get it off. Something they even recommend.

7.) Griots wheel cleaner. Phenomenal. Smells good, cuts through grease with ease and is easy to wipe off. I will use this full time.

8.) Griots speed shine. Next to the paint sealer this is the best product they make hands down. Just spray it on between wash and the car looks fully washed and waxed. I spray on and wipe with microfiber towel. I actually bought the travel pack of speed shine to have some in the car with me at all times for bird crap and the such. Love it.

9.) Random Orbitals 3" and 6". They work great and are very easy to use. My first use of an orbiter and they are very easy. Just don't put to much stuff on the pad or it flings it everywhere.

10.) Griots duster: I love this thing...very useful for a quick dust before I put it back under the car cover. I highly recommend it.

11.) Griots squeegee. Actually works well. Expensive but useful.

12.) Griots vinyl and rubber cleaner. GREAT product. perfect for tires...nice matt finish.

Not so good...:

1.) Griots window cleaner. I got the window cleaning kit with the with the paper window cleaning towels. The towels are awesome, the window cleaner sucks. I had some hard water stains and I had to get windex with vinegar to get them out. Griots stuff did nothing here.

2.) Polish #4. Skip it and just got for 2 and 3 for swirls.

I will add more as I use it...

My cleaning process: <Initial>

1.) Full Wash
2.) Full Car clay bar
3.) Full Polish 3
4.) Paint Sealent
5.) 2 coats of BOS Wax

Random cleaning:

1.) Full Car Wash
2.) Spot polish scratches or swirls with Polish 3, then 2, then 3 again.
3.) Re Paint seal spot areas Polished.
4.) Full Best of Show wax +1 additional coat on area's polished.

Hope this helps.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

if one is very lazy, like myself, can one use a detailing shop to get the same level of quality as products such as these?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

+1 that Best of Show wax is a PITA to remove, even if you use extremely light application. thanks for the tip on the spray-on wax. I have a gallon of the spray on wax, and a bottle of the Best of Show wax that I don't use anymore because it was so hard to remove.

Their best product, bar none, is Speed Shine though. I have a gallon of that, and a pile of microfiber towels that get me thru between washing.

I have to try the paint sealer though... Thanks for the tips!

Btw, Meguiars Enduro Tire Gel works extremely well, with a light application, and lasts for a long time without making your tires shiny. (plus its more economical to buy)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

The Paint sealer is hands down their best product Larryn. It is so easy to put on and take off and works great.

Yea, I called Griots and asked if I was doing anything wrong because the BOS wax was so hard to get off. He said no and that they highly recommend using the spray on wax sprayed on it to break it up. After doing this it came off easy and still looks phenomenal. Another guy at griots said you can even use speed shine to help remove the BOS wax. I tried this and it worked great as well. Just fyi.
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

thanks! Maybe I'll start using it again. :smile:

Machine polish works incredible for removing stubborn cone marks too, for those of you who autox. It easily removes all trace of those 2 second penalty biscuits! For mild cone carnage, speed shine will do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
FD911
Private
Rep
Drives:

Katera I am in the same boat as you.. I bought a butt load from Griot's.. I am in line with you on the review.. I havent tried the window cleaner yet.. After reading this I actually removed it from my next order.. The BOS has done well for me but I guess the guy I talked to actually told me upfront to use the spray on wax with it before I ordered it.. You are dead on with the wheel cleaner.. I love that stuff.. Works great.. I also agree about the 4 polish.. I am a novice with this stuff so I started there and got a real good shine but the swirls were still visible.. I just did the 3 polish and some are still there.. I just never would have thought that a brand new car would need a 2 polish.. But I ordered it.. The smaller orbital I just ordered.. I did find it will be usefull on the front end as well as the rear end..

Overall I love this stuff.. My wife laffs at me because I bought this stuff but I just tell her I could be doing something else and she says just keep quiet:smile: She sure likes driving a clean looking car.. Oh Have you tried the interior cleaner yet? Want to get something for those shoe marks on the door sill..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Heya FD, my car came swirled and scratched to heck from the dealer. I don't know what monkeys they had back there but it was bad. After I realized MP 4 was worthless for my swirls I got 2 and 3. They work good. Just remember to start with 3, then go to 2, then finish with 3.

I have not tried the interior cleaner yet but I do have it. How does it work?

Also, the 3" orbiter is awesome. I love that thing for the bumpers...love it. Also, I strongly recommend getting a box of the window cleaner paper towels. Those things work as advertised. Not lint, no glue, good strength. I used them like crazy even though I don't use the window cleaner anymore. Also, if you have tint make sure you are using distilled water only to clean it directly. I carry 2 microfiber towels with me now in addition to the speed shine wipes...what a great combo for a quick shine or getting bird crap off.

Have you used the Paint sealer yet?
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 01:57 AM   #8
FD911
Private
Rep
Drives:

Some Griot's results.. I forgot the tire shine oops

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:32 AM   #9
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Speed Shine for sure, absolutely obligatory after every outdoor sortie for bug-gut abatement. Fine looking car you have there, FD911, looks familiar.:wink:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:14 AM   #10
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

that's some intense detailing. I just got the jorgen kit from costco for 50 bucks. seems to work well.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD911 View Post
Some Griot's results.. I forgot the tire shine oops

Looks awesome FD!

One more product update. Whether you get Griots or another product you should be using microfiber towels. Griots sells a microfiber and foam pad wax/polish remover liquid that works great. I put about 4oz of it with my load of microfiber towels in addition to the laundry soap and they have come out looking great each time. Also, you just pour a few drops on to your foam pad and the wax/polish is instantly made easy to wash out. Thumbs up for this stuff.
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
FD911
Private
Rep
Drives:

Just ordered some!!!!! Got plenty of new micro fiber but needed the wash for it... LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 04:06 AM   #13
Ragenikon
Private
Rep
Drives:

Learking in the background here for awhile i think i was going to go with the 6" orbital from Groit's. Being new to detailing and wanting something that'll look amazing i've peeked at some of their products and think i'm going to go ahead and order that 6" orbital kit for $300. I doubt i will be disappointed when i'm finished :smile: Any objections to getting that kit?'

http://www.griotsgarage.com look under their products and car kits...it's like the third one..
Black Boston Leather
Cold Weather Pkg
Sports Pkg
Premium Stereo
PCD June 3rd!

"The steering, the feel, the way you can adjust your line through the bend with the throttle. There is no other car made today in this sector of the market that gets even close. If you love driving, this is up there in a class of One."
- Jeremy Clarkson -

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 05:27 AM   #14
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

That's a good kit, I will tell you though if you order before Sunday ask them for the 15% off for fathers day...they will give it to you. The 3" orbiter is pretty handy as well for bumpers and mirrors.
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
Rearro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135I

Yes I spent a lot of Cash in that joint but it's an awesome product I had fun learning how to use their products!!

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

^^^ ROFL holy crap and I thought I spent a lot of money with them!!!

One other thing about Griot's. They have got to be the nicest people that answer the phone and give advice. They have two voice prompts...order or customer service. Customer service answers the phone within seconds <shocked face> and they will chat with you, give you advice and generally be very pleasant. Since I am new to detailing a car like this I have had a TON of questions. Not once have I felt rushed or dismissed. In this day and age of 0 customer service that is RARE. They are getting to know me as "The guy with the 1", lol. They love to just chat about cars as well. I talked with one guy there for about 10 minutes about my 1 as he was asking how I liked it and how awesome he thought the car looked. Anyway, I tried to call Zaino before I went with Griots and I got voice mail...never got a call back. /shrug.
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #17
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Holy shit REARRO! You are officially a serious Griot's user!!! That is one impressive supply of products. Car looks good.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
Rearro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135I

LMAO!!!!
you guys are too funny!!!!

Those pictures were Taken at their headquarters in Fife WA.
they have a Car Care School there and the teach you about their products and How to use the orbitals and Then the stick it to you CHACHING!!!!!! CHACHING!!!!

Yes!! their people are the Best!! Very Friendly and Very Knowledgeable.

I bought about $400.00 worth of product and both the orbitals.
The Gurl that taught me ( Yes the GIRL !!!) how to use their products told me I had to LAY DOWN SOME RUBBER as I pulled out of their Garage. So I Fully disengaged the traction control and shifted it into sport mode and Gave her a show It was really neat cuz it was only her when I stepped on the gas. when the smoke cleared I think I have every sales person on shift out in the parking lot giving me right on's:headbang: and thumbs up:w00t:!! They were all very passionate about cars!!!

I had a really Fun time I can't wait to get some time to try out the produts on my own!!

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #19
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

^^^ lol bastage!
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #20
EODGUY
1Addict's Mad Bomber
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearro View Post
LMAO!!!!
you guys are too funny!!!!

Those pictures were Taken at their headquarters in Fife WA.
they have a Car Care School there and the teach you about their products and How to use the orbitals and Then the stick it to you CHACHING!!!!!! CHACHING!!!!

Yes!! their people are the Best!! Very Friendly and Very Knowledgeable.

I bought about $400.00 worth of product and both the orbitals.
The Gurl that taught me ( Yes the GIRL !!!) how to use their products told me I had to LAY DOWN SOME RUBBER as I pulled out of their Garage. So I Fully disengaged the traction control and shifted it into sport mode and Gave her a show It was really neat cuz it was only her when I stepped on the gas. when the smoke cleared I think I have every sales person on shift out in the parking lot giving me right on's:headbang: and thumbs up:w00t:!! They were all very passionate about cars!!!

I had a really Fun time I can't wait to get some time to try out the produts on my own!!
Sweet. I will definately be attending that when I get back!:w00t:

*Traded in*
2008 135i/TiAg/Coral/6M/Sport/Ipod/Premium Audio/Heated seats
*Picked up 16 August, gone 21 September. Good ridance.*

1975 Jeep CJ-5
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #21
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

I have used various Griot's products for 10 years now. Some products I still use, and some I have replaced with other items that accomplished the same result (or better) for less money.

The keepers?

Car Wash (love it, works well, doesn't strip wax, works well in my foam gun)

Waffle-weave drying towel (my kids bought me one five years ago, still going strong)

Rubber Cleaner (seems to work when I really need to scrub the tires)

Wheel Cleaner (works fine if the wheels don't have big-time, caked-on brake dust)

Interior Cleaner (I use it on my interior, and the interior of my apartment)

No Longer Use

All of the polishes (gee, you have Menzerna, Optimum, and others out there, that work better, and won't cost any more)

BOS Wax (Collinite 845 looks just as nice, cheap, easy to use, lasts longer; others look better, and are easier to use)

The Squeegee (can't remember it's real name, but I have stopped using any type of squeegee--don't trust them in terms of leaving marring behind)

Paint Sealant (Use Optimum's Opti-Seal once, and you won't go back)

Split Decision

I have a Griot's Random Orbital polisher (Porter Cable) that I have used for all of those 10 years. It works OK for what I need it to do, since I tend not to add marring due to wash/dry techniques. Others with more marring will want to look at a Flex, or even a rotary, which definitely has a learning curve.

Griot's does have nice, friendly phone people, though. One of the better places to call and be treated well. And, I will continue to order my keeper products from them, and try out new items (microfiber towel/pad polish remover detergent--hmmm).
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 03:01 AM   #22
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Geez, Rearro, do you work at Griot's, employee discount? Yikes.:eyebulge:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0