BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-08-2008, 12:40 AM   #67
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Griots products are too expensive when they are many other alternatives out there. I don't get why you guys buy into the hype...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 01:00 AM   #68
FD911
Private
Rep
Drives:

To each their own!! My funds, I buy what I like.. I use what works for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 01:02 AM   #69
FD911
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
FD911 your car is stunning.

Kinda wish I ordered BSM. I ordered SGM. Should look great though.
I really like it.. It does show minor flaws but I am still working on those..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #70
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Ok as promised, a few more product reviews.

Griots spray on wash <waterless>: Kit comes with 3 ultra soft microfiber towels and a big bottle of the spray on wash. Long story short is it works wonderfully. I had not washed her in two weeks, went out and used the spray on car wash carefully as the directions indicate. Worked great. No film left, dirt lifted up and away and was very quick. I will use this for times where a heavy layer of dust has accumulated and it is either too hot or raining to wash with water. I would only do this if you have already done like I have and paint sealed + at least two coats of wax. Just to be safe. Smells good too.

Also bought Griots claybar holder. This little thing wins the "where have you been all my life award". It keeps the claybar in shape, keeps your hands off it and by saturating the holder in speed shine it makes keeping it lubricated MUCH MUCH easier. Thumbs up here.

I also received a stick of Griots Carnuba wax antiperspirant roll on <lol>. It comes in a stick that looks just like a deodorant and is supposed to make it extremely easy to put on the orbiter pad. I am going to add my final coat of wax with it this weekend so I will let you know how it goes on and off.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #71
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

I have a large order coming this week from them, but I think I missed some things. Like Speedshine, wheel cleaner and spray on wax.

What is the difference between the Speedshine and Spray-on wax?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #72
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Speedshine is a quick Waxless detailer. It is a MUST have. Magical liquid.
Spray on Wax actually has wax in it, and supposedly will extend the life of your hand applied wax.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #73
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i DCT

Speed Shine is Griot's best product by far. It's even effective at removing bird poop as long as you don't leave the droppings on the car for a couple of days. If you do, the poop will etch into the paint. I leave a small bottle of Speed Shine and a Griot microfiber wax removal towel in my trunk. When I leave my office at the end of the day and see some poop, I'll squirt it (not mist it), leave the product on for just a few seconds longer than normal to soak in, then wipe it right off. No marks, no scratches, no etching and I'm on my way.
      07-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #74
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
Just go buy the Porter cable 7424 Random Orbital. Its equal to the groits machine, and costs 1/2 as much. Then just buy your backing plates and polishing pads and you're all set w/ $$ to spare!

I have just been shopping for random orbitals, and the Porter cable 7424 everywhere I look online is $130, same as the 6 inch Griots orbital.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #75
Rearro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135I

Not that I have any black trim on my 1'er but I used some of Griot's Bumper and trim Re conditioner on my Wife's 04' X5 And Holy Shit!!! It looks AWESOME!!

I washed my wife X5 last night after she had gone to bed and Put the trim conditioner, and as soon as I got to work in the Morning my phone was ringing

... " My car looks Great what did you do to it??? the trim PoP's out! it looks like NEW!!! "

She was soooo Happy!!!
thought I would share!! MY EXPIRIENCE with you folks!!

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #76
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Couple other reviews:

Griots Long lasting tire detailer:

Ya know, people who have read this whole thread know that when I try somethign from Griots that sucks...I say it. This is not one of them. The long lasting tire dressing is hands down PHENOMENAL. It is waterproof, has withstood tons of rain so far and still makes my tires look awesome. What I really like about it is you can adjust the amount of shine you get with it. Like the wet look? Put an extra layer on. Like the matt look <new tire look> like me? put only 1-2 coats on. The bottle that came is small and I was a little worried it would eat it up fast. Not so...a little goes a looooong way. I have used the other spray on tire dressings before that would turn that petrol brown after a while...not this stuff. Honestly I am putting their long lasting tire dressing in the category of their Speed Shine...simply a must have.

One note about Griots random orbitals....they have a lifetime warranty. If anything...and I mean anything goes wrong with it forever, just ship it back and they will fix or send you a new one. Nice
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #77
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Couple other reviews:

One note about Griots random orbitals....they have a lifetime warranty. If anything...and I mean anything goes wrong with it forever, just ship it back and they will fix or send you a new one. Nice

That's a good point. Others have said that the Porter Cable was much cheaper, but all the websites I looked at showed it to be the same price as the Griots orbital. Throw in what everyone seems to say is their great customer service, and I think I will need to go shopping soon. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #78
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpnwhite96 View Post
Griots products are too expensive when they are many other alternatives out there. I don't get why you guys buy into the hype...
Griot's stuff is expensive (like many other "fine" auto products), but I've tried so much crap on various cars over the years, that when something actually works, I stick with it. It took me about 5-6 years before I tried Griot's, and I don't think I'd buy much of anything else. Sorry, but many of the cheaper products I've tried have been 1) more difficult to use, 2) not as long-lasting, 3) some possibly destructive to the car's various surface materials.

Things I like from BMW:
- tree sap remover. It's stupidly expensive, but works miracles
- wheel cleaner - spray on, let sit, hose off. So easy, it hurts my head to think I ever scrubbed

Things I like from Zymöl:
- HD cleanse. It's too expensive, but it's like clay + lubricant/polish all in one product. It also makes me hungry for candy.
- Creame wax. It's also too expensive, and it doesn't last long. But it's a joy to apply (OMG I want to eat it, it smells so good), and it leaves a distinctly deeper shine than any other carnauba wax I've used. That said, I don't buy it any more because there are other products (even Griot's carnauba deodorant stick gizmo) that cost less and are at least 90% as great.

Things I like from Griot's:
- speed shine. Yes, it's amazing
- interior cleaner - works as advertised, not nearly as nasty as Armor All or other too-shiny products
- best-of-show wax and spray wax; both products are great. BOS wax works best when applied so thinly you don't think you're really putting it on.
- vinyl/rubber dressing - great stuff, and keeps rubber nice for years and years
- leather conditioner - similar to some much cheaper alternatives (Eagle 1 comes to mind), but has never caused any leather to discolor (unlike Eagle 1) in my experience.

There are other things I use from Griot's because it's more economical to add them to an existing order than to source them from other stores, but there are equal products in the world that might cost fractionally less.

I appreciate that Griot's products save you massive amounts of time. Once you've done a thorough initial detailing, you can keep your car looking sharp with simple 10-15 minute washes or detail sessions on a weekly basis (or as-needed). For me, that's more valuable than saving a buck or two on a bottle of wax. I only buy wax once ever year or two, so why worry? And in the end, the paint on my car always feels showroom-smooth.
      07-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #79
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just received a large order from them last week. Tonight, I wanted to quickly tell you what I tried. Griots wash mitt.. works very nice and collects the dirt away from the car. Hard to describe, but the best I've used.

Also, the large shammy with pockets in it for your hands. "Micro fiber drying towel".. dryed the entire car without having to wring it out. Also, used spray-on wax. I need some advice the best way to use this as.. I had the car damp not wet when I applied it. Works well tho. I have yet to use the Speedshine, but bought a small bottle to keep in the car for bird dirt and touch-ups.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #80
Rearro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
Just received a large order from them last week. Tonight, I wanted to quickly tell you what I tried. Griots wash mitt.. works very nice and collects the dirt away from the car. Hard to describe, but the best I've used.

Also, the large shammy with pockets in it for your hands. "Micro fiber drying towel".. dryed the entire car without having to wring it out. Also, used spray-on wax. I need some advice the best way to use this as.. I had the car damp not wet when I applied it. Works well tho. I have yet to use the Speedshine, but bought a small bottle to keep in the car for bird dirt and touch-ups.
for those who are interested in the the Micro fiber wash mitts. These are the same one's that Costco was selling for $10.00(est.) for 2 mitts and three microfiber towels. I saw them At Costco and then went to the Griot's Shop in Fife,Wa. and it was the exact same one just in a diff. packaging!!
I did Buy them from Costco and they are awesome!!!

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #81
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Today used Griots.. wash mitt, Micro fiber drying towel, then waxed with the carnauba wax stick. Did the windows with Invisible Glass and Griots disposable window towels. On the wheels I used One-step sealant. Finally, topped it off with Speedshine...:biggrin:
Wanted to share my results.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #82
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Man this thread is practically an endorsement for Griots. I have their speed shine, disposable microfiber towels, but just ordered wheel cleaner, car wash soap, more disposable towels, and spray on wax kit.

Speed shine works great on bird doodoos and bugs on front bumper, and since I find them disgusting, I cut a piece of my disposable towel to wipe the poop off without worrying about scratching the paint. I don't even need to wash my towel!
      08-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #83
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep

Someone had requested notification of any coupons, so here it goes:

Just got this one: Key Code EMRRP when placing your order of $125 or more and you'll save 15%!* Hurry... this incredible offer expires 9/4/08.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 02:24 AM   #84
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Hey Katera,

Thanks for the report on the Waterless car wash, I've been wanting more info on the stuff. I'll now be ordering some...

Thanks again.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0