BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

135i Titanium "OCD" Detail

When I got my 135i I wanted to do the best for it. So I began researching the right products, the right methods to keep my car looking the best. After hours and hours of research I had a ton of products but couldn't get myself to implement it all. So I hired someone to do it. After alot of research I found OCDonline who I thought would do it with the attention to detail and level of perfection like Autolavish (135i post) and DetailersDomain (135i post and 128i post).

Leading upto the day I was getting my car done by Lionel, I had my car serviced by BMW the day before. And they cleaned it. Now I thought that was really good but as you'll see from the pics, that's nothing! So this is the job Lionel did ONTOP of the job BMW did. (Note I told BMW to NOT clean my car, and they begun cleaning it then stopped. So they did the wheels, windows, bonnet and part of the boot. They didn't do too much of the sides.)

Summary
Overall i'm really happy with it. Lionel spent 12+!! hours on my car. His attention to detail is amazing. As I said the only issue I had was with the product that he used on my dash, it made it oily. In his credit when I spoke to him he said that he would try something else next time, maybe 1z einszett which would give it a matt finish instead. If it wasn't for that I would've rated my job 10/10!! Am so happy to have my car cleaned and nice like it was when I bought it. Here is his site www.ocdonline.com.au

BEFORE

Note the grime on the side skirt.

AFTER

Boot Before

Boot after BMW cleaned it. When filling up my car, I hate seeing how dirty this area is.

Boot After

Wheels Before

Wheels after BMW cleaned them. They were bad before, caked with brake dust.

Wheels After

The small specs are because the brake dust ate away at the rim

Engine Before

Engine After

Exhaust Before

Exhaust After

Side Before

Side After

Interior Before

Again notice that this has been vacuumed just the day before by BMW. Even though it was the freebie, still there is bits of dirt around.

Interior After

I actually didn't like the dashboard cleaner he used. I brought it up with him and he said that some people prefer a matte look so next time he would use that instead.

Last edited by dh58; 09-23-2011 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

At the end of the job. Lionel emailed me a summary of what he did. (I thought this was cool)

Interior:
  • Full dust and wipe down of all interior surfaces and plastics using MF towel 1:32 APC (All purpose cleaner) solution and a selection of detailing brushes. (Picture of brushes available)
  • Full interior vacuum including seat crevices, console, carpet, floor mats and boot cargo area (Before/after pictures available for driver side footwell and boot cargo area).
  • Leather seats cleaned, conditioned and protected with Aerospace 303 UV Protectant (Before/after pictures of rear seats available)
  • All interior plastics, consoles, dashboard and interior trims protected with Aerospace 303 UV Protectant (Before/after pictures of HUD, cluster and centre console available)

Exterior:
  • Part 1 of decontamination process - Autobrite Supa Snow Foam 1:5 solution applied to all exterior including wheels (Foam soak) and left to soak for 3-5 minutes
  • Duragloss 821 Wheel Cleaner applied to wheels, left for two minutes and agitated dirt and contaminants with wheel brushes and wheel sponge then high pressure rinsed along with wheel wells
  • Vehicle washed with Duragloss 901 Car Wash Concentrate using two bucket method
  • Vehicle high pressure rinsed including wheels and wheel wells
  • Engine bay rinsed, sprayed with 1:4, dirt agitated with engine brushes (pictures available green + red brushes) rinsed again and left to dry with spray application of Autoglym Super Sheen, excess water and product hand dried with MF towel
  • Vehicle hand dried with high quality MF towel
  • Part 2 of decontamination process - Body work clay barred with Dodo Juice Gentle Grey Clay Bar
  • Taped up body in preparation for machine polish with 3M Painters Tape
  • Stage 1 machine polish with minor correction - Machine used: Festool Shinex RAP 150 with Menzerna Power Finish OEM P0203S and Festool wool pad
  • Stage 2 machine polish - Machine used: Festool Random Orbital ETS 150/5 with Menzerna Final Finish OEM Hi Gloss PO85RD and Festool White Honeycomb fine cut pad
  • Vehicle washed with Duragloss 901 Car Wash Concentrate using two bucket method
  • Vehicle high pressure rinsed
  • Body carefully hand dried with MF towel
  • Applied Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub high quality carnauba wax to finished paintwork, allowed to haze and cure for 30 minutes then two stage hand buff with fresh high quality MF towels
  • Polished exhaust tips with Purple metal polish
  • Finished wheels with Duragloss Fast Clean and Shine
  • Dressed tyres with Autobrite Berry Tyre Gel

Here are the rest of the pics from the entire day, note he started at 8:30am in the morning and didn't finish until it was dark!

Last edited by dh58; 09-23-2011 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
MPFit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i CSM

I concur, 10/10.
Great job
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Very clean! Top job there! I too, am not a fan of the oily/Armour All style gloss dashboard finish- makes the whole thing look cheap and awful to touch as well.

Now that it's so clean, it's almost sacrilege to drive it and dirty it
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippykaye View Post
Very clean! Top job there! I too, am not a fan of the oily/Armour All style gloss dashboard finish- makes the whole thing look cheap and awful to touch as well.

Now that it's so clean, it's almost sacrilege to drive it and dirty it
It was.. For the first 2 days I was reluctant to drive it because of that lol.

I'm so happy with it. It's like a new car again, especially since I got a full service the day before
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Good detail, but I find it very interesting how OCD doesn't use a clay bar to properly clean the wheels.

Something I always do with my clients, especially my special Sydney 1ers! Check out the before/after wheel shots at facebook.com/moonlightdetailing to see how effective clay is.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Good detail, but I find it very interesting how OCD doesn't use a clay bar to properly clean the wheels.

Something I always do with my clients, especially my special Sydney 1ers! Check out the before/after wheel shots at facebook.com/moonlightdetailing to see how effective clay is.
I agree, it's a nice detail, and I really hate to criticize nice work, but little details are missing. The wheels being the big example, some clay, tar remover and elbow grease would get those back to new condition. The inside lip of the exhaust could benefit from some metal polish and claying around the lip of the fender well would really be an easy addition to their standard practice.

Don't get me wrong, the overall results look great, and it's apparent that your car really needed this sort of overhaul. If you teach yourself to do this, you'll likely catch the little things that were left behind and save money quickly. Great looking car and nice results.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep

The pics do no justice.. I've scaled them down to about 10% of what they were... The originals were 600mb+!

Red the wheels were done as best as possible. Really that stuff is physical, not dirt. Its where the brake dust has eaten the alloy.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
info@VMRWheels
Rep
Drives: BMW

Very nice detail. Looks brand new now!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep