BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #67
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

[QUOTE=TheSt|G;13919166]You either like driving or you don't.

I never understand this mentality of having a daily beater and a garage queen. I go completely bonkers every time I'm driving something other than a car dynamically equal to mine. If I had to drive a Lexus to work every day I'd run it off a bridge.
QUOTE]

I'm was not directing my advice to you. The OP said he commutes 90 miles each day so his needs are different than yours. I have a fairly long commute as well so I understand a different DD makes sense in this circumstance.

Guess what? In my commute each day, sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour or so, I could be driving an Enzo as my DD and never get it over 50 MPH. So a realistic, fun, reliable, efficient car (an in my case one that also goes in the snow) makes more just sense. Then when I am in a situation where I might be able to "drive it like I stole it" I can use the 135i or Enzo or whatever.

Reality is reality and you need a car that fits reality. And your reality isn't mine and mine isn't the OP's. Just need to find what works for you.
      05-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #68
chiguy20002
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
I kind of agree with the poster who said with your commute maybe a BMW isn't the best choice for you.

There are other decent reasonably entertaining "commuter cars" that will be more reliable, offer better gas mileage and depreciate less with a lot of miles. My commute isn't as bad as yours (I put on ~25k/yr) so the only way I can get a decent car is to have two cars and split the mileage. If I had only one car to drive t would be an Accord or maybe something more sporty but probably Japanese. Not that would love the car but that it would be best compromise for my situation.

At 25k miles/yr. a nice car will be worthless in 4 years and out of warranty way before that. Japanese cars have good resale value even with 100k on the odo simply because people know you can easily get another 100k out of it with minimal maint.
BMW's not so much.
I can only think of 2 Japanese cars that I could be OK with on a daily basis, but both are a bit short on power. One is the 2014 Mazda 6, and the other is the 2013/2014 Accord Sport. Everything else, not so much. We are talking about nice sedans that are practical, reliable and can get good gas mileage, but aren't so appliance-like. That being said, I would rather hold on to my MINI than get anything more vanilla, and appliance-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
OP could just lease it so they are no worries about value at the end of line.
I would be over mileage, as far as I know the largest mile lease would be a 15k a year lease, and I would do at least 24k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
You either like driving or you don't.

I never understand this mentality of having a daily beater and a garage queen. I go completely bonkers every time I'm driving something other than a car dynamically equal to mine. If I had to drive a Lexus to work every day I'd run it off a bridge.

That's great you had a lucky experience, but that is hardly the norm to any degree with that car. It's unreliable enough to spawn one of my favorite threads of all time:

The "My loaner HPFP failed while my car was in for the HPFP" thread...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7342645
I do enjoy driving more than most, this is why I drive a MINI and my wife drives a BMW 335i. If I didn't I would be in a Toyota Camry or something like that, or get a Toyota Prius. Ideally if I could, I would hold on the the MINI for worse weather (AWD, yes, strange, a 4-door MINI with AWD) and get a 128i/135i. Don't think I want to have three total car payments, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
135:
More power/torque

128:
more linear power delivery
more reliable
significantly lighter (better handling)

OP: drive both. You may find you enjoy the 128i driving experience more-- I know I do. Coming from a mini, the weight gain is twice as high going to a 135 as it is going to a 128 (the 135 is 230 lbs heavier, optionless vs optionless). The power thing is very much a personal preference. If you're impressed by torque, you'll like the 135 power delivery. If you enjoy a linear powerband with peak power near redline (like every real pre turbo M car), you'll like the 128i better. Neither of those is actually better, just a personal prefrence.

The 128i is the last car BMW is making with their traditional values, which is what appeals to me. In fact, when it goes out of production, they'll no longer even make a single car that I desire to own (sad for me, as in 2002 I literally wanted every car that they made). I don't like turbo driving dynamics and I don't like turbo reliability. My only real complaint with the 128 is the styling and lack of four doors... and the 135 fares no better in that respect.

Either car will be fine in the snow with snow tires and bad in the snow with all seasons or summer tires.
It does sound like the cars with the N52 are the last of the ones with a nice NA Inline-6 from BMW. I do really like that engine. I like the N54 also, just concerned about reliability, but I do not want to drive an appliance. When I test drove the 128i coupe, I really enjoyed it, and if I had to choose now, that would be it, but I still think about winter/snow.

[QUOTE=ejm3;13920523]
Quote:
You either like driving or you don't.

QUOTE]

I'm was not directing my advice to you. The OP said he commutes 90 miles each day so his needs are different than yours. I have a fairly long commute as well so I understand a different DD makes sense in this circumstance.

Guess what? In my commute each day, sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour or so, I could be driving an Enzo as my DD and never get it over 50 MPH. So a realistic, fun, reliable, efficient car (an in my case one that also goes in the snow) makes more just sense. Then when I am in a situation where I might be able to "drive it like I stole it" I can use the 135i or Enzo or whatever.

Reality is reality and you need a car that fits reality. And your reality isn't mine and mine isn't the OP's. Just need to find what works for you.
If I could have two cars, I would have the MINI and a 128i/135i...but I don't think I want to have three total car payments.

I really appreciate everyone's advice on the subject. I think in the end the 128i coupe wins out, and if I wasn't so concerned about winter, I would already be in it. A 135i coupe is very tempting, and I know with a simple mod (JB4) I could increase power. The most I would do for that, though is get a JB4 and downpipes, and try to be done at that point. I know that would be hard, so I would probably just stay with a 128i, and just enjoy it mostly stock.
      05-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #69
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
What mods can't the 128i do again? 50-70hp are on the table stock and we have all the same suspension/everything upgrades.
You know the answer to this as well as I. Are you looking for a fanboy argument? Seems like it.

My suggestion to stick with the 135i if he's into modding (more specifically power modding) relates to the huge overhead the platform has on tap for additional power. I don't go into details for the sake of brevity, but we both know it's far beyond 70hp.

Note that I suggested the 128 for him. It seems to fit his needs perfectly. It's sporty and efficient.

Please stop looking for something to argue about.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #70
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Yet another 128 vs 135 diatribe....sure gets tiresome.
      05-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #71
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
You know the answer to this as well as I. Are you looking for a fanboy argument? Seems like it.

My suggestion to stick with the 135i if he's into modding (more specifically power modding) relates to the huge overhead the platform has on tap for additional power. I don't go into details for the sake of brevity, but we both know it's far beyond 70hp.

Note that I suggested the 128 for him. It seems to fit his needs perfectly. It's sporty and efficient.

Proper 135i upgrades needs alot of dedicated time with tuning on the rollers, and readjustments.

For a DD IMO this shouldn't be required.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #72
Bucki14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT | Novitec Ferrari FF

Both the 128i and 135i are exceptional cars! I personally went with the 128i m sport. Being that I'm under 25, insurance was going to kill me so I figured id snag the last of the na i6 models. If you go 128i you must get the sport package, really brings the joy in the car out. I still hope to get a 135i later on in my future. Also, the torque in the car is very usable in daily driving situations and a 6mt is a must also!!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #73
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:

So one could more accurately say, if horsepower numbers are your primary concern, the 135i is the better choice?
      05-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #74
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
So one could more accurately say, if horsepower numbers are your primary concern, the 135i is the better choice?
That's not how I would put it, but for the OP, I believe the 128 is the better choice. The difference between the two platforms when it comes to power output does not start and end with "horsepower numbers", as the power output itself as well as the platform change affects many different variables with the vehicle.

However, this thread is not about that, so perhaps we can stick to the subject at hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #75
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

Fellow hyper miler here (to NYC & back – 90ish mile each way x3/week) and the reasons I chose the 128i

1) NO HPFP worries (they are only warrantied by BMW for 10 years /100K – so I (and you) would bump up against it around year 4/5)
2) Turbos generate a lot of heat which would require more frequent oil changes, inspection and replacement of hoses, belts, etc.
3) Direct injection motors seems to have a propensity for carbon buildup on valves hence they will require periodic cleaning – not an issue with the 128
4) EPA says I get better fuel economy
5) The N52 is sandbagged at 230 hp; variants of the same motor in other applications put out up to 270ish (X3 28i xdrive whatever); in my mind this provides greater margin of safety and reliability to the 128
6) 17’s are cheaper to replace than 18’s
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #76
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Quote:
No, one can more "accurately" say that you try to turn every thread into a 128i vs 135i debate. They make a over the counter cream that may help you, its called Femmesil.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #77
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's not how I would put it, but for the OP, I believe the 128 is the better choice. The difference between the two platforms when it comes to power output does not start and end with "horsepower numbers", as the power output itself as well as the platform change affects many different variables with the vehicle.

However, this thread is not about that, so perhaps we can stick to the subject at hand.
True. We can discuss added weight, power bands, and reliability if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
No, one can more "accurately" say that you try to turn every thread into a 128i vs 135i debate. They make a over the counter cream that may help you, its called Femmesil.
The thread title is 128i vs 135i...
      05-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #78
chiguy20002
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i x-drive

For my daily, yet fun commuter purpose, the 128i coupe should suit me fine. I like the solid feel over the 128i convertible, though I have to admit that the 128i convertible was fun.
If I wasn't looking for such a long commute, and high mileage, then I would say 135i coupe.
If I wasn't so concerned about snow/winter, then the 128i coupe would be my choice, though I think I would still like it much better than a 328i xDrive coupe.
I don't want an appliance for daily driving either, such as a Camry or Prius. I may not be a hard core enthusiast driver, but I am also not "dead" when it comes to enjoying my drive. This is why I have a MINI. I am just thinking of switching it up a bit.
      05-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #79
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

128 in snow isn't nearly as big a deal as you make it out to be. Get some blizzaks and call it a day. The traction control literally doesn't let you get an inch sideways without interferring and the tires give you enourmous amounts of traction. I ran my car through multiple snow storms, ranging from ice on the road to several inches of snow and i never once felt uncomfortable. the short wheel base helps it feel very stable in the snow.

** i also came from a worked jeep with aggressive tires that are winter rated, and my 1er on blizzaks is just as good.**
      05-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #80
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy20002 View Post
I currently drive a MINI Countryman S ALL4 6MT for a daily 90 mile commute. My wife has a 335i xDrive which I drive when we are together.

I have read a few threads about 128i vs 135i. I realize the 135i has more power, and is fairly easily modded. I am unsure if I will miss the extra power of the 135i over the 128i, especially for this daily commute.

I am looking for long term reliability and low maintenence, but yet still fairly fun to drive.

Before I drove the MINI Countryman S ALL4 6MT, I drove a non-S Countryman 6MT, and that was not exactly quick. Before the non-S Countryman, I drove a non-S standard Cooper Hardtop 6MT, and that seemed fine to me.

I have test driven a 135i convertible (auto) and a 128i coupe and convertible (both auto). I preferred the feel of the coupe over the convertible. I have not driven a 135i coupe. All of them felt fine to me, I was unsure if the extra power of the 135i was needed for my commute.

I was also considering a 328i xDrive or another 335i xDrive, but that would be a topic for another thread.

Looking for responses from long term 128i and 135i owners, and their thoughts. Thanks!

please for the love of god get a 135i!!! youll fall in love and theyre great for long trips. absolute blast to drive in my opinion. plenty of power and a head turner in every way
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #81
Steve_in_NH
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Convertible

Garage List
2008 128i  [8.00]
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy20002
I currently drive a MINI Countryman S ALL4 6MT for a daily 90 mile commute. My wife has a 335i xDrive which I drive when we are together.

I have read a few threads about 128i vs 135i. I realize the 135i has more power, and is fairly easily modded. I am unsure if I will miss the extra power of the 135i over the 128i, especially for this daily commute.

I am looking for long term reliability and low maintenence, but yet still fairly fun to drive.

Before I drove the MINI Countryman S ALL4 6MT, I drove a non-S Countryman 6MT, and that was not exactly quick. Before the non-S Countryman, I drove a non-S standard Cooper Hardtop 6MT, and that seemed fine to me.

I have test driven a 135i convertible (auto) and a 128i coupe and convertible (both auto). I preferred the feel of the coupe over the convertible. I have not driven a 135i coupe. All of them felt fine to me, I was unsure if the extra power of the 135i was needed for my commute.

I was also considering a 328i xDrive or another 335i xDrive, but that would be a topic for another thread.

Looking for responses from long term 128i and 135i owners, and their thoughts. Thanks!
I currently lucky enough to have both an 07 MINI Cooper S Hardtop and an 08 -28i convertible. I love them both. My wife has a 2012 Honda Pilot. I call them "Yours,one, and Ours". Your Pilot, My MINI and Our 128".
The 128 would make a great DD for you. More than enough power on a daily basis. Any more and you're asking for trouble (speeding tickets, etc). Save the MINI for weekend cruising and for those times when you just want to have fun!!!!
      05-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #82
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i MT LeMans

Quote:
True. We can discuss added weight, power bands, and reliability if you want.

The thread title is 128i vs 135i...

I can't help but notice your vendetta against the 135i. Why can't you just be happy with your purchase instead of insulting in every post?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #83
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy20002 View Post
I really appreciate everyone's advice on the subject. I think in the end the 128i coupe wins out, and if I wasn't so concerned about winter, I would already be in it. A 135i coupe is very tempting, and I know with a simple mod (JB4) I could increase power. The most I would do for that, though is get a JB4 and downpipes, and try to be done at that point. I know that would be hard, so I would probably just stay with a 128i, and just enjoy it mostly stock.
It's really not a big deal in the winter at all. DSC + actual snow tires = idiot proof. They key is entirely in the tires (aka, all seasons aren't snows).

My fiance has a mini currently. It's fine in the snow, but it's not particularly better than the RWD cars, so long as you keep DSC on in both. The RWD cars give you more options for snow fun off, though (DSC off fun).

I wouldn't leave the 128 stock. A used DISA manifold can be had for <$300 used, and with a tune you're sitting at 275 hp with 100% factory reliability (as it's a factory part being run as the factory intended- all you're doing is un artificially gimping the engine).

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #84
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehalcyon View Post
I can't help but notice your vendetta against the 135i. Why can't you just be happy with your purchase instead of insulting in every post?
The purpose of this thread is to compare the 135 and the 128. Hardly seems off topic to compare them

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #85
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I personally would get a 135i if you plan to mod or not. The car is very rewardable to drive stock and modded. Power aside, much of what I enjoy about our chassis is shared with the 128i and coming from the mini, you wont be disappointed with either.

I wouldnt be afraid of the 135i maintenance either. I have had zero issues with my car and it has been very reliable.
how often are you changing the rear diff fluid?? im at 68000 now and still showing no signs of any noise or wear although i should get under there and check the fluid my next LOF
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #86
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaweizen View Post
how often are you changing the rear diff fluid?? im at 68000 now and still showing no signs of any noise or wear although i should get under there and check the fluid my next LOF
Generally if you change fluids when you hear something you have done it wrong.
      05-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #87
Jettt
Gun Slinger
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow and with caution

Wait what? 128 or 135.... hmmmm ONE THIRTY FIVE EYE!

If money is no issue and you can afford either or why not go for for the 135?

Mines a daily driver and have had no problems at all.

I live in Toronto Canada and we had a brutal winter and I only got stuck once this season. Just grab some proper winters.

Name:  135snow.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  50.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #88
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Generally if you change fluids when you hear something you have done it wrong.
oh yea its just something ive spaced until now and i was wondering the interval of replacement for the rear diff fluid haha
Appreciate 0