BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #23
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
What do you guys think adding a few layers of wet lay carbon fiber to our from anti-roll bar? I thought about doing this to the end-links also.
Wouldn't really help.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 11:16 PM   #24
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Wouldn't really help.
Because...?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:11 AM   #25
Sixle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CR 135i N54 6MT

Quote:
What do you guys think adding a few layers of wet lay carbon fiber to our from anti-roll bar? I thought about doing this to the end-links also.
Unless it's properly bonded to the bar I don't think it will last long before the torsion of the steel shears from the carbon layup.

I'm confused by what you mean on adding carbon to the end links? end links are tensile-compressive and I'm sure the end links don't have enough strain to make any noticeable difference in the stiffness of the anti-roll.

Dialing in OD-ID relationship for the lightest bar per desired stiffness will be what makes the best bar.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #26
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because...?
Wet lay carbon isn't strong; You can't just wrap something in carbon on a whim and have it be strong; Carbon doesn't like shear stresses or flexing, so its fairly useless in suspensions that aren't specifically designed around its limitations.

Also what type of layup would you be using? Something like 90/0/90 probably wouldn't work. Also 3 layer would probably break. 90/30/60/30/0. Maybe? Depends on the specific types of stresses in the bar.

Anyway, I would need to do math that I really don't like doing to really figure it out. Analysis of stresses in carbon parts is really complicated and I haven't done it in 5 years. So that's as far as I'm taking this thought experiment.

TLDR: you can't do it because carbon in structural settings is really hard to make work.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #27
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

You've obviously thought about it a lot more than i have. If I happen to have access to the materials though, with minor knowledge of the engineering behind it, would there be many cons? Also, you didn't happen to study at Brown did you? http://engin1000.pbworks.com/w/page/...0Drive%20Shaft

Also, in response to the sway bar end links comment, the stock end links seem to be pathetically thin and prone to bending. I can bend them very easily with minimal effort, I would not be surprised if strengthening this in compression would reduce roll/ increase torsional stiffness of the anti-roll system.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #28
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1
You've obviously thought about it a lot more than i have. If I happen to have access to the materials though, with minor knowledge of the engineering behind it, would there be many cons? Also, you didn't happen to study at Brown did you? http://engin1000.pbworks.com/w/page/...0Drive%20Shaft

Also, in response to the sway bar end links comment, the stock end links seem to be pathetically thin and prone to bending. I can bend them very easily with minimal effort, I would not be surprised if strengthening this in compression would reduce roll/ increase torsional stiffness of the anti-roll system.
End links don't need to be strong in a bending moment. They are in tension/compression. Try and make the end link longer or shorter, that is what they are doing in the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #29
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Didn't go to brown. I just took a few advanced materials courses in college. And honestly I gave it about 5 minutes if thought

Cons are expense and that it will probably break. Literally no pros.
Minor knowledge doesn't cut it with nonisentropic materials.

If you want beefier endlinks take a look at Myhel (sp?) Endlinks. They are bigger with much more substantial ball joints. I bought them for the ball joints, but you can buy them for whatever reason you want.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #30
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
If you want beefier endlinks take a look at Myhel (sp?) Endlinks. They are bigger with much more substantial ball joints. I bought them for the ball joints, but you can buy them for whatever reason you want.
Meyle HD
      08-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #31
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
End links don't need to be strong in a bending moment. They are in tension/compression. Try and make the end link longer or shorter, that is what they are doing in the suspension.
I would think that it is indeed experiencing quite a bit of bending as they have ball joint ends which makes pure tension and compression next to impossible.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #32
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Meyle HD
That's the one! Just be careful of the boot around the ball joints. You can easily knock it off with a wrench while tightening the bolts.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #33
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1
Quote:
I would think that it is indeed experiencing quite a bit of bending as they have ball joint ends which makes pure tension and compression next to impossible.
Actually quite the opposite. You can not put a bending moment on them due to the ball joint ends.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #34
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Actually quite the opposite. You can not put a bending moment on them due to the ball joint ends.
Agreed! (FWIW)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #35
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

I obviously have more learning to be done. Thank you for your insight.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #36
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:

All else remaining the same I upgraded to adj. Ground Control race (spherical bearings) front end links and had them properly adjusted. It's a sweet lookin piece and I was pretty amazed with the quality. Very rigid piece, no chance in bending them by hand. lol Anyways, I noticed nothing in how the car would drive or roll.

Last edited by chris82; 08-12-2015 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 2