BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #23
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
The thing with brake pad reviews and opinions is that they will be skewed. Everybody uses brakes differently, whether on the street or on the track.

Consider this: the power that your stock versus tuned engine makes. The grip of the tires you use, the layout of the track you drive on most often (long stretches will cool your brakes better between hard braking zones). Do you drag your brakes (beginner to intermediate level driver), or use them hard and quickly (advanced drivers)? Do you cool down your brakes after each lapping session (no use of the brake pedal on the last lap before returning to pitlane)? What percentage of your driving is done on the street versus the track. Do you swap your pads and rotors between events?

These will all have an effect on brake bite, brake fade, brake pad longevity, and even brake noise to a certain extent.
<snip>
If you only drive on the street, with no or very seldom visits to the track, Ryan (OP) has provided a couple of good "hybrid" pad candidates ...

I would tend to recommend the PFC 08 pads, as the best all-rounder ... Love these pads, but they did not hold up to my useage pattern at the track (tuned car, wide tires up front, short tracks) ...
Thanks for sharing, I agree with your thoughts above. What we saw to work well on SAU (one of the BEST technical forums for JDM Turbo Nissans) was a thread such as this stickied as it captured the opinions, thus the repeated hybrid type reviews were in one place, a consolidated list of options, and for those who have gone down the path you have- they could see who bought what from where etc.

Thanks again to those who have contributed.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #24
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
The thing with brake pad reviews and opinions is that they will be skewed. Everybody uses brakes differently, whether on the street or on the track.

Consider this: the power that your stock versus tuned engine makes. The grip of the tires you use, the layout of the track you drive on most often (long stretches will cool your brakes better between hard braking zones). Do you drag your brakes (beginner to intermediate level driver), or use them hard and quickly (advanced drivers)? Do you cool down your brakes after each lapping session (no use of the brake pedal on the last lap before returning to pitlane)? What percentage of your driving is done on the street versus the track. Do you swap your pads and rotors between events?

These will all have an effect on brake bite, brake fade, brake pad longevity, and even brake noise to a certain extent.

Im still on stock 135i calipers, and pistons, after 3 years of lapping. The dust boots have crumbled away, the front calipers have changed color (from gray to golden gray), the top of the center caliper pistons have started chipping.

Ive been using Ti heat shields for a couple of lapping seasons (helped prevent fluid boiling but kept more heat in the pads, expediting brake fade), and F30 dust shields (useless), and now now custom 2" brake ducting connecting stock bumper ducts to stock brake dust shields (these help the most).

Ive been through a lot of pads in this order OEM, Cool Carbons, Carbotech XP10, PFC 08, and currently on Project Mu Club Racer pads.

My dual duty 135i sees 75% track and 25% street use.

OEM and Cool Carbons were a disaster on the track, even with minimal engine power mods and 225/255 F/R Extreme Performace tires and stock 18x7.5 + 18x8.5 wheels.

Carbotech XP10 pads lasted a little longer, did not crumble, but faded before the end of my 20-minute lapping sessions. They were noisy on the street.

PFC-08 pads were the best dual duty, lasted long, and produced hardly a sound on the street. They also faded on the track, as I increased the power, and tire grip on my 135i (255/35R18 square setup).

The PMU Club Racer pads are holding up surprisingly well. They are noisy on the street however. They resist farely well to heat extremes I expose them to.

To conclude, its a good idea to buy brake pads relative to the heat ranges you will expose the pads to. Look at the temp specs for your pads, and work on directing fresh air to the center of your brake rotors, if you intend on visiting the track often, and you drive agressively.

If you only drive on the street, with no or very seldom visits to the track, Ryan (OP) has provided a couple of good "hybrid" pad candidates ...

I would tend to recommend the PFC 08 pads, as the best all-rounder ... Love these pads, but they did not hold up to my useage pattern at the track (tuned car, wide tires up front, short tracks) ...
As always, your insight is greatly appreciated.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher

Last edited by E82MSport; 07-29-2015 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #25
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

Pad: EBC Yellow/GD Rotors

Fluid: SRF

Suggested use: Hybrid

Actual use: 90% street 10% track

Dust: Same as OE

Rating for actual use: A little noisy on the street especially when the transfer layer wears off. Decent cold performance. Good on the track for me(intermediate student) I've run them at NJMP and Summit Point Main. I never had any fade but I run PSS so they gave up before the pads did. I am on stock power. No signs of dust boot problems or piston issues yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #26
odj
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 135is + six other cars

Pad: PFC08 (front & rear)
Suggested use: Track only
Actual use: Street, track(HPDE)
Dust: A shit ton
Rating for actual use:

Recommended w/ caveat. With Ti shields and F30 backing plates and stock wheels they held up pretty well for 20 minute sessions on a medium speed track. Only minor fading. On a higher speed track with wider front wheels I started to experience fade again. This is a function of cooling rather than the pads themselves though, I believe.

They do rather well on the street, but are VERY noisy and VERY dusty.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 04:15 AM   #27
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Pad: Endless MX72
Suggested use: street and trackdays

Rotors: oem BMW M135i rotors
Fluid: Motul RBF600

Actual use: street and track
Dust: a bit more than OEM

Rating for actual use: very good pads, they can perform on the street with spirited drive and on the track (that's their prefered place)
On the track, they stop with a lot of power your car, that's quite incredible.

Notes: be carefull when they are cold, the car don't stop immediately ... A bit weird the very first time. Mounted on F2x brakes on my E82 and love them !
Initial bite on the street: like OEM
Initial bite on the track: very good, far way better than OEM

Cons: the price ...

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #28
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by odj View Post
Dust: A shit ton
Rating for actual use:

Recommended w/ caveat. With Ti shields and F30 backing plates and stock wheels they held up pretty well for 20 minute sessions on a medium speed track. Only minor fading. On a higher speed track with wider front wheels I started to experience fade again. This is a function of cooling rather than the pads themselves though, I believe.

They do rather well on the street, but are VERY noisy and VERY dusty.
+1 on everything here. It's actually pretty hillarious how loud they are on the street
      08-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #29
odj
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 135is + six other cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbronnik View Post
+1 on everything here. It's actually pretty hillarious how loud they are on the street
Yeah man... I don't even like driving through parking garages with the windows open any more. It's almost deafening.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #30
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
Verdict?
updated!
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #31
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

I found the DS2500 to be too loud on the street and lack the cold bite for a daily driver. Doable, sure, but to the point that you have to warn someone else that may be driving your car.

Sounds crazy, but I just put on some Centric PosiQiuet Semi Metallic for the street. Very good and super cheap. Will help me preserve the track pads. Just bought a set for the wife's e90 (street only).

Looking forward to trying PFCs for track after I wear out the 2500s.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #32
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Updated initial post with the reviews here. Where pads are listed multiple times they have been grouped/linked.

I'm a fan of my P.Mu HC+

Is this worth stickying?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #33
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

Track Review - Mid Ohio Full Course (no chicane)

Fluid: Motul RBF 600
Dust: I'd say middle of the road
Rating for actual use: Excellent

Notes: First time using these pads but based on the recommendations here it was money well spent. As a note I didn't have shims so I was getting pad clunk when going in reverse/forward while braking. Not a big deal, I'll get some shims to fix it.

Break-in/bedding procedure was about 10-15 hard stops at various speeds starting at 40mph up to 70mph. I did about 5 stops at a time with a cool down. Each time the pedal got firmer and brakes were working better. By the end they were smoking/burning off the grime and I had really good feel. As I figured, they got even better after a full cool down.

If anyone is interested I'm using Centric premium high-carbon rotors (Stop Tech blanks) and they held up perfect.

I put about 200+ miles on them at the track with little issues. They took about 2 full laps to get to temp (quite noisy before full temp) but after that they were very consistent. Overall feel was quite good and easy to modulate. Pads once warm provided medium/high bite with minimal pedal effort in the short braking areas with excellent consistency lap after lap. Hard braking zones were almost as consistent with a couple fading issues. Back straight I was seeing between 135-140mph coming into a hard braking zone and I noticed a little fade over the next couple turns but quickly went away. This was only after about 20 minutes of hard lapping that I started to see fade, but as I noted it quickly went away.

Pads and rotors showed minimal wearing, better than expected. I'm sure I have several more events before these are ready to replace.
I give these pads a high rating because they were not only excellent on track but also the 500 miles to and from. They're quite quiet for a dedicated track pad and really didn't make a lot of noise on the trip. I am switching out these pads and rotors for my stock~ish setup (OEM rotors and Stop Tech Pads) to save them for track only days. Unfortunately my lapping season is done for this year but it was a great end to the season.

Reviewer: E82MSport
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher

Last edited by E82MSport; 09-16-2015 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
lab_rat394.50
      09-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #34
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I've got a few contributions to add.

Pad: EBC Yellowstuff
Suggested use: Street and Track
Actual use: 90% street / 10% track
Dust: Comparable to OEM, but lighter in color
Rating for actual use: Excellent dual purpose pad, excellent step up from OEM
Notes: A bit harder on rotors than most street pads, but does well holding up at the track if you're not super fast/or running too much tire. It's a good match for street tire levels of stick. Used these pads for two track days on 225/255 staggered Dunlop Star Specs, and it was a good balance between brake strength and tire grip. As noted before, now that I've progressed in pace, I feel like I could overwhelm these pads when really pushing, but nice and safe for the beginner to intermediate HPDE driver. Pretty quiet as well. Has decent "cold" manners, one or two slow speed stops (i.e. leaving the neighborhood) is enough to get the pad in it's happy spot.
Reviewer: Ginger_Extract
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3

Last edited by Ginger_Extract; 09-16-2015 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #35
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Pad: Hawk DTC70 (F), DTC60 (R)
Suggested use: Track, limited street use
Actual use: 80% track, 20% street
Dust: Terrible, a lot of it, requires strong scrubbing/wheel cleaner to clean wheels. Dust will also cover fenders, but cleans off easily enough.
Rating for actual use: Excellent on track, will not fade. Suck on the street and at autocross.
Notes: Right up front, the DTC70 are too much front pad for my car's level of tire grip, 255 square Hankook RS3. DTC60 front and rear would be much better. Easily manageable on track, but terrible at Autocross, will cause front tires to lock up frequently on less than perfect surfaces. As noted above, the brake dust is brutal, invest in a quality wheel cleaner product. I have gone through 1.5 sets of front pads, and halfway through the original rears. They last about 6-9 track days depending on the track and level of street driving they see. They will never fade, no matter how hardcore you get out there. Speaking of street use, they are AWFUL on the street. They make a constant cyclical "whirring" noise when cold, which is all the time on the street. When actually stopping they are sometimes silent, sometimes noisy, hit or miss. Takes one or two really good stops to have a decent brake pedal, with the first stop of the day being a bit nerve-wracking if you don't allow some extra braking distance. Wear on thwe street is poor as well, they will wear out faster with street driving than they would with 100% track driving. Hard on rotors, lots of rotor cracking, but rotors are cheap, and my original set that I paired with the first set are still hanging in there (just). I got a bunch of these pads for cheap, so I'll be sticking with them for a bit. Next go around, will either use DTC60 up front, or move to a different brand/compound completely for the sake of experimentation. If you use slicks or R-comps, these are the pads for you.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 03:11 AM   #36
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Pad: Hawk DTC70 (F), DTC60 (R)
Suggested use: Track, limited street use
Actual use: 80% track, 20% street
Dust: Terrible, a lot of it, requires strong scrubbing/wheel cleaner to clean wheels. Dust will also cover fenders, but cleans off easily enough.
Rating for actual use: Excellent on track, will not fade. Suck on the street and at autocross.
Notes: Right up front, the DTC70 are too much front pad for my car's level of tire grip, 255 square Hankook RS3. DTC60 front and rear would be much better. Easily manageable on track, but terrible at Autocross, will cause front tires to lock up frequently on less than perfect surfaces. As noted above, the brake dust is brutal, invest in a quality wheel cleaner product. I have gone through 1.5 sets of front pads, and halfway through the original rears. They last about 6-9 track days depending on the track and level of street driving they see. They will never fade, no matter how hardcore you get out there. Speaking of street use, they are AWFUL on the street. They make a constant cyclical "whirring" noise when cold, which is all the time on the street. When actually stopping they are sometimes silent, sometimes noisy, hit or miss. Takes one or two really good stops to have a decent brake pedal, with the first stop of the day being a bit nerve-wracking if you don't allow some extra braking distance. Wear on thwe street is poor as well, they will wear out faster with street driving than they would with 100% track driving. Hard on rotors, lots of rotor cracking, but rotors are cheap, and my original set that I paired with the first set are still hanging in there (just). I got a bunch of these pads for cheap, so I'll be sticking with them for a bit. Next go around, will either use DTC60 up front, or move to a different brand/compound completely for the sake of experimentation. If you use slicks or R-comps, these are the pads for you.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #37
drtvinp
Jedi Wannabe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 128i ZSP

Great thread. Looking at the EBC Redstuff for my 128i. I only need to replace the rears right now but they seem to fit the bill according to the reviews. This is my daily driver and I like to have some fun. Basically some backroad driving but no track. Looking at my rims, I am thinking that anything will be better than the pads that are on there - unless I want to save some money on darker rims lol
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:16 PM   #38
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Old Pads

Pad: Cool Carbons
Rotors: ECS 2 Piece Fronts, BMWP Rear Dimpled and Slotted
Fluid: Castrol SRF
Actual use: Street and Track
Dust: Minimal
Rating for actual use: Good street pads, bad track pads
Notes: They don't make any noise and there is hardly any dust. Cold bite is reasonable but better once warmed up slightly. Very linear feel to them. They do however leave very significant brake pad deposits and stick to the rotor whenever you wash the car. Causes significant brake shudder when on the track. On the track I really wouldn't recommend them. They wear incredibly quickly on the track and will fade significantly if pushed.
Reviewer: froop

Pad: Ferodo DS2500s
Actual use: Predominantly track with minimal street driving
Dust: Similar to OEM, reddish colour, very noticeable
Rating for actual use: Good street pads. Good track pads.
Notes: Linear feel, no pad deposits, some moderate squealing on the street. Need a little warmth in them before they properly bite but not unsafe at cold temps. No slot to fit brake pad wear sensors. They wore at a moderately quick pace but did notice some significantly crumbling towards the end of its life. Mild fade on the track but never goes completely off.

Current Pads E82

Pad: ProjectMu HC+
Actual use: Minimal street driving, not yet taken to the track.
Dust: Slightly less than OEM
Rating for actual use: Good street pads
Notes: Linear feel, no pad deposits, some moderate squealing on the street, strong bite. Need a little warmth in them before they properly bite but not unsafe at cold temps. OEM shims don't actually fit due to the width of the backing plate so there is some movement of the pads with associated sound within the caliper when rolling backwards and forwards. Have yet to take them to the track so will give an update when I do.

Current Pads E88

Pad: ProjectMu NC400
Suggested use: Street
Rotors: IAP/Dura International (OEM BMWP) Drilled/Dimpled and Slotted Rotors
Fluid: OE Fluid
Actual use: Street
Dust: Minimal
Rating for actual use: Good street pads but very noisy
Notes: Linear feel, no pad deposits, good bite. Need a little warmth in them before they properly bite but not unsafe at cold temps. OEM shims don't actually fit due to the width of the backing plate so there is some movement of the pads with associated sound within the caliper when rolling backwards and forwards. They are currently extremely noisy. I used a generous amount of brake grease when installing them but I also haven't done any brake bedding procedure so it's possibly due to that. Still, very very loud which is odd for a street pad.
      12-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #39
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactorX81 View Post
Pad: EBC Yellow/GD Rotors

Fluid: SRF

Dust: Same as OE

Rating for actual use: A little noisy on the street especially when the transfer layer wears off. Decent cold performance. Good on the track for me(intermediate student) I've run them at NJMP and Summit Point Main. I never had any fade but I run PSS so they gave up before the pads did. I am on stock power. No signs of dust boot problems or piston issues yet.
100% agree on this, I used the EBC Yellows front and rear at NJMP Lighting twice. The pads held up fine as mentioned above. I am stock on 225 PSS and 255 rear, great for these tires little to no fade. If going with a wider front or more grippy tire you are likely to out do these pads. I probably could squeeze one more track day before they would need to be replaced (Fronts) with maybe 5-7k miles driven on them (rears look close to full). On the street they dust the same as stock, at the track you may experience slight crumbling and even more dust. You cant beat the price, but I may try PFC08 or Hawk DTC60 and swap pads for daily and track.

One additional note I was unable to fit the brake pad sensors into the front pads and zip tied the sensors with no CELs.

Pad: EBC Yellow/Stock BMW 2 Piece

Fluid: Motul RBF600

Dust: Same as OE Normal Driving/Track even more or crumbling depending on high temps
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 11:28 PM   #40
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Anybody got any input on Meyle ceramic pads for purely street use? ECS has them for extremely cheap. I've had good luck with other Meyle products in the past...

Anyone?

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #41
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Anybody got any input on Meyle ceramic pads for purely street use? ECS has them for extremely cheap. I've had good luck with other Meyle products in the past...

Anyone?

ianc
Bumping this old thread for info on these Meyle OE pads that are supposedly low dust. Anyone have feedback from using these on their 135i brakes?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #42
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
These are with F30 335i Brembos on my 128i. It's a fairly popular mod, so I thought it relevant. I believe these pads are also available in 135i and 128i fitments.

Pad: Porterfield R4
Suggested Use: Track Days, Time Trials, Racing
Rotor: Stoptech Sport Slotted 340x30mm
Fluid: ATE Type 200
Dust: Moderate
Actual Use: Track Days
Rating for Use: Excellent. Wear is extremely slow, they seem very friendly to rotors, and are compound-compatible with the street-oriented R4-S, making for easy swaps between pads.

Pad: Porterfield R4-S
Suggested Use: "Enthusiastic" Street Driving
Dust: Extremely Light
Actual Use: Very "Enthusiastic" Street Driving
Rating for Use: Low dust, smooth, and quiet. Compound-compatible with the track-oriented R4 which makes pad swaps very easy.
      04-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #43
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
Bumping this old thread for info on these Meyle OE pads that are supposedly low dust
I grabbed a set in 2016 from ECS and installed them over the Xmas break of that year. Much less dust than stock and comparable stopping power. They're still going strong, so I'd recommend unreservedly...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #44
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
These are with F30 335i Brembos on my 128i. It's a fairly popular mod, so I thought it relevant. I believe these pads are also available in 135i and 128i fitments.

Pad: Porterfield R4
Suggested Use: Track Days, Time Trials, Racing
Dust: Moderate
Actual Use: Track Days
Rating for Use: Excellent. Wear is extremely slow, they seem very friendly to rotors, and are compound-compatible with the street-oriented R4-S, making for easy swaps between pads.

Pad: Porterfield R4-S
Suggested Use: "Enthusiastic" Street Driving
Dust: Extremely Light
Actual Use: Very "Enthusiastic" Street Driving
Rating for Use: Low dust, smooth, and quiet. Compound-compatible with the track-oriented R4 which makes pad swaps very easy.
Porterfield R4-S, what a wonderful street pad!
Appreciate 1