BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
128_Pilot
Wholesale Rep for The Tire Rack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i M Sport

Question M3 Front Control Arms

Hello everyone,

I have been reading lot's here on the forum and what a great resource! But one thing I am needing some clarity on is the M3 front control arms.

Seems like some folks call them different things, wishbones, tension arms, front control arms, rear arms.

Either way, I ordered the Dinan camber plates for my daily driver after taking the locating pins out last week and having the car aligned, just wasn't enough. So I also want to do the front control arms with the plates this time, and take advantage of the next alignment being offered at no charge from my dealer. So I think I need to order what my local BMW shop calls the rear control arms with the following part numbers for a 2010 M3

LEFT - 31102283577
RIGHT - 31102283578

Also, for better steering response, should I also order both left & right tension arms (31102283575 & 31102283576) for a daily driver? Don't see myself on the track a lot, maybe a couple times a year here at the office, and one road coarse here and there. Not sure if I will feel the differance changing those as well.

I have a 2012 128i with a M sport package, and was also debating if I should swap out the sway bar with a M3 one. And lastly, I do have the xenon headlights, so will my stock regulation rods work with the M3 arms? Again I am not clear on which arms those attach to.

If you guys could jump in and and square me away, I would be most thankful.

Eric

Last edited by 128_Pilot; 11-14-2011 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: I am slow
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

I am curious about this question as well.

For the front sway bar, go for it. I choose E93 one, as many here. Stiff enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128_Pilot View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been reading lot's here on the forum and what a great resource! But one thing I am needing some clarity on is the M3 front control arms.

Seems like some folks call them different things, wishbones, tension arms, front control arms, rear arms.

Either way, I ordered the Dinan camber plates for my daily driver after taking the locating pins out last week and having the car aligned, just wasn't enough. So I also want to do the front control arms with the plates this time, and take advantage of the next alignment being offered at no charge from my dealer. So I think I need to order what my local BMW shop calls the rear control arms with the following part numbers for a 2010 M3

LEFT - 31102283577
RIGHT - 31102283578

Also, for better steering response, should I also order both left & right tension arms (31102283575 & 31102283576) for a daily driver? Don't see myself on the track a lot, maybe a couple times a year here at the office, and one road coarse here and there. Not sure if I will feel the differance changing those as well.

I have a 2012 128i with a M sport package, and was also debating if I should swap out the sway bar with a M3 one. And lastly, I do have the xenon headlights, so will my stock regulation rods work with the M3 arms? Again I am not clear on which arms those attach to.

If you guys could jump in and and square me away, I would be most thankful.

Eric
When you go with the M3 cntrl arms you will also need the tension arms/links. You will also need to replace the headlight linkage so your headlights work properly.

You should contact Harold at HP Autowerks. Here is there kit...

http://hpashop.com/product.sc?produc...categoryId=237

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
128_Pilot
United_States
Rep

Thanks Dackel,

See, this is the sort of thing I am slow on. Some threads talk about only replacing two of the four arms, and you say change out both, or all four. Question begging to be asked is why does Harold sell the wish bone (rear arms?) & tension arms (front arms?) separately?

My goal is to add more neg camber for better turn in for a daily driver. If I need to change out the tension arms I will. Just don't want to do so if I am not gaining at least steering response. If they are not required, and will not really help with steering response, I'd rather not install them.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Dackel,

See, this is the sort of thing I am slow on. Some threads talk about only replacing two of the four arms, and you say change out both, or all four. Question begging to be asked is why does Harold sell the wish bone (rear arms?) & tension arms (front arms?) separately?

My goal is to add more neg camber for better turn in for a daily driver. If I need to change out the tension arms I will. Just don't want to do so if I am not gaining at least steering response. If they are not required, and will not really help with steering response, I'd rather not install them.

Well... I would say to do all four up front bc one would think IF you only replace the control arms... the next weakest thing in the suspension will start to flex/move. Afterall BMW chose to use a upgraded part. There must be a reason why. Or they would have just reused the old suspension bits from the base car.

I think I would defer to our expert: namely Harold @HPA. Hit him up and see what he says/recommends.

I know I have seen other posts where people say the rear M3 bits are not that important. And even IF you decide toreplace the rear control arms... you will then need to go with M3 rear shocks bc the way they attach to the control arms is different I believe.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Well... I would say to do all four up front bc one would think IF you only replace the control arms... the next weakest thing in the suspension will start to flex/move. Afterall BMW chose to use a upgraded part. There must be a reason why. Or they would have just reused the old suspension bits from the base car.

I think I would defer to our expert: namely Harold @HPA. Hit him up and see what he says/recommends.

I know I have seen other posts where people say the rear M3 bits are not that important. And even IF you decide toreplace the rear control arms... you will then need to go with M3 rear shocks bc the way they attach to the control arms is different I believe.

Dack
Dack,

This one kit right? http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

What do you think of the E46 CSL OEM rims on 1 series? Fit???

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Yang
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Complete M3 Transformation

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
1-2MANY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

those all say they're for the 3 series, but I assume they'll work on our 1er as well right?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-2MANY View Post
those all say they're for the 3 series, but I assume they'll work on our 1er as well right?
As of my knowledge from my reports in the forum, compatible.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

si
      11-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
When you go with the M3 cntrl arms you will also need the tension arms/links. You will also need to replace the headlight linkage so your headlights work properly.

You should contact Harold at HP Autowerks. Here is there kit...

http://hpashop.com/product.sc?produc...categoryId=237

Dackel
The M3 front suspension kit from HP Autowerks is my next mod. Harold recommends the complete kit for the 1.

I just installed the M3 sway bar and bushings this weekend that I purchased from Harold. I also changed my brake pads from OEM to Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully a lot less brake dust from now on.
      11-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
128_Pilot
United_States
Rep

Question Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and the info.

Decided to not worry who calls what, and ordered both the wishbone and tension arms, with the new headlight linkage. $113 for each wishbone/arm, and $13.00 for the headlight linkage from my local dealer.

Now I am considering if I should swap out my front stock M package sway bar (26.5mm, I don't know if it narrows in the middle), and replace it with a OEM E93 M3 convertible one along with all the new hardware. Or order a E92 M3 swaybar (26.5mm).

Can anyone comment of this train of thought? Pro's & Con's if this would be enough difference of a set up than I have now, to warrant the change?

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Eric
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Decided to not worry who calls what, and ordered both the wishbone and tension arms, with the new headlight linkage. $113 for each wishbone/arm, and $13.00 for the headlight linkage from my local dealer.

Now I am considering if I should swap out my front stock M package sway bar (26.5mm, I don't know if it narrows in the middle), and replace it with a OEM E93 M3 convertible one along with all the new hardware. Or order a E92 M3 swaybar (26.5mm).

Can anyone comment of this train of thought? Pro's & Con's if this would be enough difference of a set up than I have now, to warrant the change?

Eric
OEM FSB narrows in the middle. Either E93 or E92 M FSB is stiffer than the stock one and the PS one. So either choice would be good. I personally went with E93 M FSB. Note that, the E93 bar is 28mm, however, it also narrows in the center, despite the fact that it is stiffer than the stock. E92 bar is 26.5mm across though.

From what i have heard, the front control arms would give better steering responses. When i installed the FSB, i did not upgrade it at the same time.

Come to end, this is my thoughts and probably you can take some:

1. Decide your use of the car: random track and main DD or the reverse.
2. You budget. The cost would be high if you decide to copy the full M3 suspension. Also, you may want Coilover later.
3. Probably the most IMPORTANT: DO IT ALL AT ONE TIME. SAME BIT OF TIME OR HARD EARN MONEY.

Yang
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Eric
Just find out you are a tirerack reps. Any private discount code in the future?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #15
128_Pilot
United_States
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
Just find out you are a tirerack reps. Any private discount code in the future?
No I am sorry there is no such code, and I ask you to please support/call Gill. He is one of the moderators over in the tire and wheel section which we support. Like most of us, I am here as a enthusiast.

szcyxzh you know for sure about the M package FSB? I need to get it on a lift this week and check. Thanks for your input.

As I said prior, this is my DD and I might track it once in a while. I can tell everyone, the diff between the stock 128i vs a M pkg is night n day in which they drive, and were set up at the factory.

This whole process is to address the one big weakness in my car which is turn in. So I am going to change control arms and add chamber plates so that I can dial in the front to -1.5 camber to start. The FSB is the last part of this puzzle for me, and still would like a little more feedback from you fine folks.

Thanks again everyone,

Eric
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #16
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OEM FSB narrows in the middle. Either E93 or E92 M FSB is stiffer than the stock one and the PS one. So either choice would be good. I personally went with E93 M FSB. Note that, the E93 bar is 28mm, however, it also narrows in the center, despite the fact that it is stiffer than the stock. E92 bar is 26.5mm across though.

From what i have heard, the front control arms would give better steering responses. When i installed the FSB, i did not upgrade it at the same time.

Come to end, this is my thoughts and probably you can take some:

1. Decide your use of the car: random track and main DD or the reverse.
2. You budget. The cost would be high if you decide to copy the full M3 suspension. Also, you may want Coilover later.
3. Probably the most IMPORTANT: DO IT ALL AT ONE TIME. SAME BIT OF TIME OR HARD EARN MONEY.

Yang
Just to clarify I also went with the E93 M front (28mm) sway bar. The front control arms and wishbones are my next mod. From what I've heard too they offer much better steering feel and responsiveness.

Down the road I will probably upgrade my struts/shocks, but I don't plan to go with aftermarket springs. My goal was to reduce body roll and improve the feel of the car without changing the way the car rides. I don't plan to track or autocross my car. I have another car for that.
      11-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #17
128_Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pirate View Post
Just to clarify I also went with the E93 M front (28mm) sway bar. The front control arms and wishbones are my next mod. From what I've heard too they offer much better steering feel and responsiveness.

Down the road I will probably upgrade my struts/shocks, but I don't plan to go with aftermarket springs. My goal was to reduce body roll and improve the feel of the car without changing the way the car rides. I don't plan to track or autocross my car. I have another car for that.
Do you know if the E92 uses the same mounting hardware, as the stock bar?

I know the E93 front sway bar requires diff hardware, due to being thicker.

Thanks 1Pirate
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #18
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am sure about the M package FSB. To quite people here, FSB is the first mod on the suspension work.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #19
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Not to rain on the parade here, but there's a ton of info on the fsb's and what you need. Pro vs Con's of them and what part numbers you need for which sway bar. I found all I wanted when I researched mine by using the search function on the forum.
      11-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

One thing that makes the M3 FSB better (so I have read) is the hard bushings that come with the M3 kit vs the Perf FSB part.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #21
128_Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am sure about the M package FSB. To quite people here, FSB is the first mod on the suspension work.
Yeah I can see where some folks would tackle the bar 1st, it will help with middle thru exit. I am more focused on turn in, and the stock bar does well.

Just hoping someone might have had a M sport package and did the upgrade to the E92/E93 bar and could articulate the diff.

Focusedintntions;

No offense taken, I have done plenty of searches w/o seeing the specific info I have been asking here. Perhaps I have over looked it and you or someone else could be kind enough to lmk which thread to look at?

Thanks again,

Eric
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #22
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you know if the E92 uses the same mounting hardware, as the stock bar?

I know the E93 front sway bar requires diff hardware, due to being thicker.

Thanks 1Pirate
I believe that the mounting brackets and the sway bar bushings are the same for both M3 sway bars (E92/E93). Only the bars are different.

Last edited by 1Pirate; 11-15-2011 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0