BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
deploytosave
Private First Class
5
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: La porte Tx

iTrader: (0)

throw out bearing issue

my car is an 08 with 48k miles, i still have a LITTLE bit of warranty left...

whenever i am at a complete stop, ebrake up, car in neutral, i let out on the clutch and you can hear it making some noise... (throw out bearing)

will a dealer replace that under warranty?


also, my active headlights are only turning to the right and not to the left is that a common issue? would a dealer cover that under warranty as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
flzrider
Captain
23
Rep
728
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

If the noise occurs when the clutch is out (foot off the pedal), it's your flywheel, not your throwout bearing.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
deploytosave
Private First Class
5
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: La porte Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
If the noise occurs when the clutch is out (foot off the pedal), it's your flywheel, not your throwout bearing.
hmm i believe thats incorrect
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
flzrider
Captain
23
Rep
728
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deploytosave View Post
hmm i believe thats incorrect
Care to elaborate?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
entendu
Enlisted Member
United_States
3
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2008 128i vert, 2005 X3 3.0i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deploytosave View Post
also, my active headlights are only turning to the right and not to the left is that a common issue? would a dealer cover that under warranty as well?
It's so you don't blind oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
deploytosave
Private First Class
5
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: La porte Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by entendu View Post
It's so you don't blind oncoming traffic.
it used to turn to the left?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
Simsims
Captain
Canada
18
Rep
613
Posts

Drives: 119/220
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by entendu View Post
It's so you don't blind oncoming traffic.
no, mine turns to the left too
__________________
VO 1M - everything except sunroof
RIP BSM 135i 2009-2011
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
brusk
Lieutenant
brusk's Avatar
13
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cleveland, TN

iTrader: (1)

When you don't have the cluth pushed in the throwout bearing is sitting "idle" and assuming everything is adjusted correctly will not be touching anything and will make no noise. If it made noise when you pushed the clutch it that could be the throw out bearing. Not a BMW tech but if it were an older Honda the first thing I would thing of is the trans front bearing. So at this point there's several places you could start finger pointing, pilot bearing, trans front bearing, clutch disk.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
RoadRunner///M
Major General
RoadRunner///M's Avatar
No_Country
212
Rep
6,461
Posts

Drives: 1M (Sold), M3 F80
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Oz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
no, mine turns to the left too
On LHD cars they will turn ~20% to the left and ~50% to the right. Limited to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
entendu
Enlisted Member
United_States
3
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2008 128i vert, 2005 X3 3.0i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
no, mine turns to the left too


See also this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...64#post6067824

Make sure you're checking while you're driving, not at a standstill or driving slowly...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
ken1137
Brigadier General
ken1137's Avatar
United_States
59
Rep
3,729
Posts

Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
Yes, dealer will cover the adaptive light under warranty unless you screwed them up. I had my drivers side replaced under warranty. GL.

FYI...do it soon because they are very expensive out of pocket!
__________________

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #12
deploytosave
Private First Class
5
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: La porte Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
When you don't have the cluth pushed in the throwout bearing is sitting "idle" and assuming everything is adjusted correctly will not be touching anything and will make no noise. If it made noise when you pushed the clutch it that could be the throw out bearing. Not a BMW tech but if it were an older Honda the first thing I would thing of is the trans front bearing. So at this point there's several places you could start finger pointing, pilot bearing, trans front bearing, clutch disk.

ive always been told that if the clutch is out(foot not on pedal)
and you hear a grinding noise, its the TO bearing.. i had a 06 rsx type s that literally made this same exact noise, under the same circumstances, and sure enough, it was the TO bearing causing the issue... im fairly versed in automotive diag/repair... but my original question was if our warranty covers this, or if this part falls under a "normal wear and tear" part like a clutch disk
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Simsims
Captain
Canada
18
Rep
613
Posts

Drives: 119/220
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by entendu View Post




Make sure you're checking while you're driving, not at a standstill or driving slowly...
That only talks about the cornering light.

The adaptive headlight points the beam left and right. You can see this doing slow drives on a street and steering left and right.

Not aware of whether left is less than right - I think they're about equal in low speed. High speed maybe it only turns 20%.
__________________
VO 1M - everything except sunroof
RIP BSM 135i 2009-2011
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
brusk
Lieutenant
brusk's Avatar
13
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cleveland, TN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deploytosave View Post
ive always been told that if the clutch is out(foot not on pedal)
and you hear a grinding noise, its the TO bearing.. i had a 06 rsx type s that literally made this same exact noise, under the same circumstances, and sure enough, it was the TO bearing causing the issue... im fairly versed in automotive diag/repair... but my original question was if our warranty covers this, or if this part falls under a "normal wear and tear" part like a clutch disk
Again when foot is not on pedal the throw out bearing is not against the pressure place therefore not spinning and not able to make a bad bearing noise. In any case it sounds like something is wearing out prematurely and I would think would be covered by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
deploytosave
Private First Class
5
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: La porte Tx

iTrader: (0)

throw out bearing was the issue, will be replaced under warranty...

and also the headlight assembly was messed up and will be replaced under warranty.. along with a complimentary oil change... couldnt be happier with the service!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
entendu
Enlisted Member
United_States
3
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2008 128i vert, 2005 X3 3.0i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
That only talks about the cornering light.
Wat? Did you miss the two giant headings called "Adaptive Head Lights"?

Either way, it looks like something was amiss in OP's car. Let us know how long it takes to get it back, OP!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
deploytosave
Private First Class
5
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: La porte Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by entendu View Post
Wat? Did you miss the two giant headings called "Adaptive Head Lights"?

Either way, it looks like something was amiss in OP's car. Let us know how long it takes to get it back, OP!
drop it off next wed at 4:30!

was the next available date for a loaner car
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
454
Rep
6,882
Posts

Drives: 340i M-sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
If the noise occurs when the clutch is out (foot off the pedal), it's your flywheel, not your throwout bearing.
When a throw out bearing is bad, typically it reveals itself when you let out the clutch while in neutral. Then there is a rattle sound, that's a throw out bearing.

Other than badly glazing and/or warping the flywheel, which is not easy to do, you'll get a shudder when you engage the clutch. Perhaps that is what you were thinking of?
Also, when that happens it's more likely a glazed clutch before a flywheel problem. The flywheel is sturdier than the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #19
RPM90
Major General
454
Rep
6,882
Posts

Drives: 340i M-sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deploytosave View Post
throw out bearing was the issue, will be replaced under warranty...

and also the headlight assembly was messed up and will be replaced under warranty.. along with a complimentary oil change... couldnt be happier with the service!
Excellent!
Sometimes BMW deserves applause, and they do here.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
brusk
Lieutenant
brusk's Avatar
13
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cleveland, TN

iTrader: (1)

That's crazy I've never had a throw out bearing make noise when disengaged. At least it's covered, that's not very many miles for one to go out so soon unless somebody has a habbit of resting their foot on the clutch when driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #21
flzrider
Captain
23
Rep
728
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
When a throw out bearing is bad, typically it reveals itself when you let out the clutch while in neutral. Then there is a rattle sound, that's a throw out bearing.
I don't see how that would ever be the case when there is no load on the T.O. bearing when your foot is off the pedal. The bearing is not even spinning.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
deploytosave
Private First Class
5
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: La porte Tx

iTrader: (0)

dropped the car off today and all i can say is WOW.

i am getting front brakes, headlight assembly, oil change, ac recharged, drivers seat replaced, throw out bearing, AND BOTH turbos!!! along with giving me a 2012 328i to drive! FOR FREE!


this has made me a BMW customer for life... i am still in shock
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST