BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #1
saveferris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Pilot Super Sport AS 3+ and Conti ExtremeContact WS06

I need to replace my tires and am now in a colder location. I'm in the Chicago area and drive about 5-6 miles to the office.

I don't want to get dedicated winter tires so am looking for something that can get me home if it snows during the day while I'm at work, etc. I won't regularly drive in the snow - I have another vehicle to drive if I need to go out in the actual snow. Just something safe enough in the snow if needed and capable enough the rest of the year. I get that I'm compromising but I'm fine with those tradeoffs.

So, anyone have either the AS 3+ or WS06 tires and can comment on how the are in the snow. I will drive if it's cold out, I prefer to drive my 1er over the the SUV so will drive it the roads are cold but not snow/ice covered.

I am coming off of Nokian WRG3's. Which were fantastic and I'd consider again but there is a newer model, WRG4, and it is getting mixed reviews. That tire also doesn't come in the staggered size, neither did the WRG3 so I just ran square all around at 225/40/18.

Before the Nokians I had the AS 3's, the previous model to the AS 3+. Those were also great tires but I lived in Nashville where it really didn't snow much. But, when it did those tires weren't good at all. I've read the new ones are much better.

Looking for any feedback on either the AS 3+ or WS06 from anyone who runs them in the occasional snow.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:26 AM   #2
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

AS3 are fantastic in the snow yet handles and performs like a proper high performance summer tire in the warmer months. Had a set on our family's X1 and I couldn't believe how well it did in deep snow and even during an ice storm.

It's the only all season tire I'd ever consider again because I'm a firm believer in dedicated sets of high performance summer tires and separate winter tires.

The AS3+ should be perfect in a scenario like yours if you have another vehicle for really bad snow days.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
saveferris
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the info. I agree dedicated summer/winter tires are the best route but for my situation it doesn't make sense...and if it is really bad out I'm staying home :-)

I thought I had a warranty mileage credit from Michelin but it is actually for Continental tires I had. I may go with the WS06 only because they may come in about half the price.

I'll update with what I went with and how they perform when I figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
AS3 are fantastic in the snow yet handles and performs like a proper high performance summer tire in the warmer months. Had a set on our family's X1 and I couldn't believe how well it did in deep snow and even during an ice storm.

It's the only all season tire I'd ever consider again because I'm a firm believer in dedicated sets of high performance summer tires and separate winter tires.

The AS3+ should be perfect in a scenario like yours if you have another vehicle for really bad snow days.
Huh? Tried a set of A/S3 in less than an inch of snow. Could not believe how bad they were. Tried driving for 5 mins, turned around and went back home and got the other car.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #5
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I'm running a set of Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus, 225/45 18 front, 255/35 18 rear - really like them, but I do have a dedicated set of real snows that go on around mid-December (if not a bit earlier).
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
saveferris
Enlisted Member
Rep

I got the Conti's installed about two weeks ago and so far so good. It snowed about 2 inches here a few days after I got them and another inch or so earlier this week and the tires were great in the snow/slush/mush.

The second snow was preceeded by hours of rain so a nice base layer of ice all around and the tires grip is outstanding to me. Theses aren't dedicated snow tires but certainly capable in snow and ice. By that I mean if you respect how you should drive in those conditions these tires are great. Never had traction control come on, etc.

Seems like they are what I need to get around in a little bit of snow and I recommend them if you have to drive in some snow and don't want to/can't put on dedicated winter/snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #7
Elderado82
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

I had AS 3s on my 135i when bought it 3 years ago. I bought it the day after Christmas with about 3 inches of snow on the ground barely made it to my house alive. That night I ordered me a set of Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires. I understand 6ixSpd had good experience with the AS 3s but that was on a X1 not a 135i. You're gonna need a tire that cuts into the snow very well and also has good traction on ice. Also AS 3s will wear very quickly in cold conditions below 32 degrees. Even though they are a all season tires the rubber on them get stiff real fast. Just trying to point a 135i daily driver in the right direction. I don't know what a good option would be for you when it comes to all seasons but I do know that a set of winters will do you wonders especially being in Chicago.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #8
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

OP has a secondary vehicle for deep snow days. He just wants a performance oriented all season tire during winter in the off chance he has to drive in some snow... He doesn't need hardcore snow tires if he has another car for actual inclement weather.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0