BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

128i to 135i bumper?

I have an opportunity to pick up a 135 msport type bumper skin cheap. Its just the skin itself. I assume it would just bolt right up. My question is, what else would I need to complete the install?

I can see there are different grills and maybe brake ducts? Other things I need? I'm just wondering if I would need alot of other pieces.

Last edited by markslc1; 03-24-2016 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #2
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

I've just tried to do this the other way around. It seems that the brake ducts don't fit the regular bumper, and from what I can tell the undertray mounting points seem a little different too - the 128i bumper has been repaired but it still seems to be an inch or so shorter than the m sport bumper.I'm also not sure if the standard bumper has the two rubber extension pieces.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
I've just tried to do this the other way around. It seems that the brake ducts don't fit the regular bumper, and from what I can tell the undertray mounting points seem a little different too - the 128i bumper has been repaired but it still seems to be an inch or so shorter than the m sport bumper.I'm also not sure if the standard bumper has the two rubber extension pieces.
So you are saying the 135 bumper is a bit longer, so worst case I would have to trim it to connect to the underpanel? I'm assuming the brake ducts for the 135 dont work with the 128 due to different fender liners. Did you run into that as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

I wish I'd taken some photos...

The 135i bumper hangs down lower than the 128i bumper so I think you'd have a gap. It's possible the 128i undertray *might* get in the way of the bumper - I haven't seen a 128i undertray to say for sure. I think if you had to trim anything, it'd be the undertray not the bumper.

I think you're correct on the brake ducts - I took them out completely when I put the 128i bumper on. Although it was just one bolt per side and they clip into the hole in the fender liner. You'd definitely want to figure something out there otherwise there's nothing shielding the underneath of the headlights, horn etc. from the weather.

The outer mounting holes in the undertray side pieces lined up fine, but the middle section (main plastic undertray) is different.

To do it as the factory did, I think you'd probably need a new undertray, brake ducts, and if you're going with 135i brake duct grilles, you'd probably want the oil cooler duct and blockoff piece for the other side too. (If going with 128i M sport fog lights, you won't need the oil cooler duct and blockoff piece)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
....snip....

To do it as the factory did, I think you'd probably need a new undertray, brake ducts, and if you're going with 135i brake duct grilles, you'd probably want the oil cooler duct and blockoff piece for the other side too. (If going with 128i M sport fog lights, you won't need the oil cooler duct and blockoff piece)
I've been contemplating this as I mangled my bumper a little this winter when I rolled into a solid block of ice that wasn't visible (I swear I didn't see it!!!)...

I got it patched up for now, and can confirm you'd definitely need new fender liners but good to know about the undertray. Question on the 128i Msport fogs though - does anyone know if they would wire up to the regular 128i foglight connector? I have a 2010 pre-LCI model...not sure if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0