E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Sport steering wheel (differences)

12-25-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
mhoutman
Private
Rep
Drives: E87 130i/E91 325i Touring

Sport steering wheel (differences)

We still have to decide which sport steering wheel to chose. Either the normal sport steering wheel (255) or M-Sport steering wheel (710). The latter has perforated leather sections but is its grip also thicker than the regular sport steering wheel (255) ? (if so how much in mm ?)

If you chose the M-Sport Steering wheel, will you also get the M-Sport shift knob ? (euro specs)

TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2005, 10:47 AM   #2
tbensous
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Yes, M sport steering wheel is thicker, and leather quality is better than on the regular sport steering wheel. You do get the perforated M shift knob too, which is way better than the standard long plastic thing...

It is a must have considering the price of the option !
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
mhoutman
Private
Rep

tbendous, thanks for your reply; any idea what the difference in thickness is....
I guess a few mm ?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Would someone mind posting some pics so the rest of us know what you all are talking about? We don't have the M-Sport option here in the U.S.
      12-25-2005, 01:27 PM   #5
ihavedrivenanm1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ['02 e46] '06 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoutman
...but is its grip also thicker than the regular sport steering wheel (255) ?
Until some one can show me an official BMW spec I disagree that the M-Sport wheel is noticeably thicker than the U.S. spec ZSP wheel.

In the photographs below you can use the inside height of the multi-function buttons [the taller pair] for scale. In both photos the taller pair of buttons is the same dimension as the thickness of the round, or non-thumb section of both wheels. The sections used are immediately next to each other in terms of their plane of focus thus any distortions will be proportional.

Given that the buttons are a fixed dimension between all e90s, I am convinced that the wheels are of the same thickness save perhaps for a 1/16 of an inch or less [almost imperceptible] down to the difference in the types of leather used.

The point: I submit that anyone basing their decision to buy the M-Sport wheel on the assumption that it is thicker, that is that this is the primary reason for getting it [not the ‘M’ badge, not the perforated leather], that these people will be disappointed.

Cheers.

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
mhoutman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavedrivenanm1
Until some one can show me an official BMW spec I disagree that the M-Sport wheel is noticeably thicker than the U.S. spec ZSP wheel.

In the photographs below you can use the inside height of the multi-function buttons [the taller pair] for scale. In both photos the taller pair of buttons is the same dimension as the thickness of the round, or non-thumb section of both wheels. The sections used are immediately next to each other in terms of their plane of focus thus any distortions will be proportional.

Given that the buttons are a fixed dimension between all e90s, I am convinced that the wheels are of the same thickness save perhaps for a 1/16 of an inch or less [almost imperceptible] down to the difference in the types of leather used.

The point: I submit that anyone basing their decision to buy the M-Sport wheel on the assumption that it is thicker, that is that this is the primary reason for getting it [not the ‘M’ badge, not the perforated leather], that these people will be disappointed.

Cheers.

Frankly speaking I want some hard evidence too. The diameter seems the same: 369 mm) perhaps only the perforated part is slighly thicker.

When I bought my 545iT, I ordered the regular heated sport steering wheel. This version is slighty thicker because of it heating option. I didn't like the M-Sport Steering wheel and to me the E80 (1Series) and E90/E91 perforated steering wheel (and shifting knob) looks rather cheap as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2005, 02:27 PM   #7
mhoutman
Private
Rep

P.S are there some close-up pictures of the M-Sport manual shifting knob too ?

TAI
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbensous
Yes, M sport steering wheel is thicker, and leather quality is better than on the regular sport steering wheel. You do get the perforated M shift knob too, which is way better than the standard long plastic thing...

It is a must have considering the price of the option !
I also have an M-sport wheel; it is most definitely thicker than the NA spec ZSP wheel, but both have the same diameter. If you order the M-sport wheel in NA, you must decide if you also want the M-sport trim that has the M logo at the bottom. If you don't purchase the separate trim piece, then the original trim piece remains in place.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 10:16 AM   #9
mhoutman
Private
Rep

I could measure both the regular and M-Sport Steering wheel. The latter is about 6-7 mm thicker, but since I don't like the perforated look I ordered the former.
Appreciate 0