BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

Worn M3 Tesion Strut

Went in to get a wheel alignment done to my specs because of the m3 suspension components and i did noticed steering was following the ruts in the road a bit and under heavy braking, but just putting it down to wearing of the tyres.
Suspension tecko took the car for a run and said something is wrong with the front suspension and put it on a special machine which tests the front suspension and sure enough got under the car and the left side wheel tension strut had no play, but the drivers side had so much play the wheel was moving about 2''
So much for stronger M3 bushes only done about 15000 kls
Just ordered a new set from the usa.
      04-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Struth. Maybe I'd better check mine... Who did the work? Kristian had to replace his OEM 130i tension struts due to a similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep

HI TIM
Fulcrums at stafford they set up my front negative camber spot on -1.8 and
-1.4 with the M3 struts
Haven't ordered the M3 rear bushes yet wasn't expecting this.
      04-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

That's not good at all! So what did you end up replacing exactly? Would it be covered under some kind of warranty? I also go to Fulcrum Stafford, Terry knows his stuff, top bloke highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Unless you've got camber plates the camber is not really adjustable. -1.8/1.4 must just be the way it worked out with the new links. Mine worked out as around -1.3/1.0 with the M3 links I think. I've got a Fulcrum printout somewhere from when they came to Lakeside and corner weighted & check the camber on my car.

Let me know if you're ordering any links etc. I'm still keen to order all the rear bushes, links & swaybar.

Taa.
      04-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep

Replacing the 2 tension struts, they can make a special bush to fit in, after i take the old ones out i will search around for a replacement bushes for a experiment and the pins have been drilled out tim and i get pretty good negative camber with the M3 arms without camber plates
Also thinking of getting Bilstein shocks after sundays breaky run after tea and scones stop yummy heading back along some of the bumpy section my suspension was crashing not rebounding very good and not soaking up the bumps.
      04-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

I'm interested to hear about replacement bushings for the struts/arms - if that's possible.
Yeah, pulling the pins out will you a fraction more camber.
Appreciate 0