E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Weak Windshield

02-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #23
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Civic Si

Hehe, this reminds me of a story from our dealership. New E90 came in on the delivery truck and gets parked in our storage lot. One of the detail guys goes down to check in the new inventory. For whatever reason, he had opened one of the rear doors. When he closed it, the entire rear window shattered. He didnt slam the door, just closed it as you normally would.

The only thing we could come up with was that the window already had some sort of hairline cracks in it when we received it. Just happened that this guy was the unlucky one that got to break the glass, lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 07:39 PM   #24
AW330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman
Hehe, this reminds me of a story from our dealership. New E90 came in on the delivery truck and gets parked in our storage lot. One of the detail guys goes down to check in the new inventory. For whatever reason, he had opened one of the rear doors. When he closed it, the entire rear window shattered. He didnt slam the door, just closed it as you normally would.

The only thing we could come up with was that the window already had some sort of hairline cracks in it when we received it. Just happened that this guy was the unlucky one that got to break the glass, lol.
I bet that detailer was scared to death lol
      02-20-2006, 07:57 PM   #25
volsfan0911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI

Back when I used to read bimmer.org all the time, the E46 guys bitched like crazy over pitting of their windshields excessively and/or prematurely. The Bon Ami solution seemed to work well for one shot of getting the pitts, etc. out. Personally, I got my 2004 Accord, moved to New Jersey and had to replace the front windshield twice over the first 6 months of ownership. Not that it was the OEM glass per se - first rock I didn't see, but it sounded like a bullet (random rock kicked up going down the Turnpike). Had that one patched, then some biotch in an Escalade who didn't get the snow off the top was in front of me and the 30 lbs. of frozen water that hit me dead square at 80 mph finished that factory glass. Next one was a rock that I saw coming - no joy on the replacement glass - spidered immediately and I'm just glad it held up until I got to work. The guys at Pro Auto Glass in Linden NJ do excellent work BTW and the Safelite I got the second time has held up great for over a year with zero leaks, squeaks or other noises!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #26
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

The glass seems thinner than the other car companies I have seen,

just by eyeing it....

Oh well... crap happens

fk
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 09:05 PM   #27
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911
Back when I used to read bimmer.org all the time, the E46 guys bitched like crazy over pitting of their windshields excessively and/or prematurely. The Bon Ami solution seemed to work well for one shot of getting the pitts, etc. out. Personally, I got my 2004 Accord, moved to New Jersey and had to replace the front windshield twice over the first 6 months of ownership. Not that it was the OEM glass per se - first rock I didn't see, but it sounded like a bullet (random rock kicked up going down the Turnpike). Had that one patched, then some biotch in an Escalade who didn't get the snow off the top was in front of me and the 30 lbs. of frozen water that hit me dead square at 80 mph finished that factory glass. Next one was a rock that I saw coming - no joy on the replacement glass - spidered immediately and I'm just glad it held up until I got to work. The guys at Pro Auto Glass in Linden NJ do excellent work BTW and the Safelite I got the second time has held up great for over a year with zero leaks, squeaks or other noises!
that's f'n crazy.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 09:11 PM   #28
Steve P.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Coupe, 2008 M3 Sedan

There Pilkington windshields... they are a good brand.... but I believe Pilkington is made in Mexico... so then again maybe it isnt that great. But Mine has maintained very well with the Canadian winter... and all the gravel on the roads
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 08:16 PM   #29
Red Baron
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Any Official Word?

Has anyone gotten any kind of feedback from either their dealer or from BMW USA? I am experiencing lots of little pits and a couple of small chips. I have only had the car for three months and at this rate I won't be able to see in a year. I will be seeing the dealer this week about a paint issue and will be bringing the issue up.
      04-30-2006, 04:50 PM   #30
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

No doubt, Houston sucks because of all the damn rednecks and construction workers. It has a high concentration of blue collar people, and they put all sorts of sh*t in their truck beds. Gravel, concrete, i've seen it all. I've seen full size mattress in the middle of one of the busiest highways (hwy 59, you may have seen it in the police car chase), timber, car bumpers, etc. I'm not talking on the side shoulder, i mean in the MIDDLE of the road.

Anyways, re: this BMW, I also think that it is weak. I was thinking this before i even stumbled on this thread b/c i have owned 3 other cars, and have not had a rock chip so soon. I mean, Its only been driven for like 3 months, this is ridiculous. I have 2-3kmiles on it. I don't even know when it came, the hit must have been WEAK...
Usually, in the past, if i had a rockchip, i'd hear a big sound of the rock hitting off the windshield. This chip is right in front of the drivers side, and I heard nothing. I just saw the crack a couple days ago, not even sure when it happened!

:mad: I never had this with Hondas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo89
Had a friend in Houston with a RAV4 that had to replace his windshield something like 4 times in a couple of years from all of the rock chips he had.

I've gotten one rock chip (more like a chuck) in my old e46 in three years, and the rock that hit the car, there was NO windshild that was going to not chip (I actually saw it coming and had NO where to go!!). BTW I do remember getting hit by rocks a couple of time and not having any chips.

No chips in my E90 and I've been hit by the usually amount of small rocks and salt kicked up by trucks around here.... There is NO way to avoid it on the highway after a snow storm...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 04:54 PM   #31
tl_boy
Major
Rep

Has anyone contacted BMW or their dealer? I'd like to find out the occurence of this. Of course, everything is speculative at this point, however, I would like to point that on my 1999 Acura TL, Honda changed my transmission when my car was out of warranty by over 1 year, and over the 50,000 mile warranty due to "a high number of incidents." I.e., a lot of people had transmission problems, even though it was after warranty, Honda was kind enough to remedy the situation. They actually ended up changing my tranny TWICE after the warranty period. Honda.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #32
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
when glass gets hit with rocks at high speed it will crack
It helps to never follow other vehicles closely on the highway, especially trucks.

*sarcastic
I'm sure that the bean counters at BMW were like" we need to cheap out on something on our benchmark sedan, hmmm lets put cheap glass in them. Forget about our German pride"
I don't think so. IMO
What could the cost saving really be?

Maybe it's just the spirited driving people end up doing in the BMW compared to the "other" cars, ending up on people ass , anxious to pass, therefore getting more chips in the windshield.

another theory.
      04-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #33
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I already have a little rock chip on the right lower portion of my windshield. It's only about 2-3 mm in diameter, but I should get it fixed.
      04-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #34
tl_boy
Major
Rep

I've been reading a lot of posts on this subject. It appears Insurance co's WILL pay to get the chip patched, or the windshield repalced. However, I wonder if the premium will go up? I heard they will pay to get the chip fixed for free, and the premium won't go up (no ded. either), but if you want replacement, i guess it may affect the premium. Can anyone share their experience on this?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #35
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
My windshild cracked when a rock hit it on the way to Nashville last week. In all my years of driving I have nevery had a windshield crack, but this one did. $1200 to replace w/o insurance.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 06:07 AM   #36
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I just got one this morning from a car no less, I expected a rock chip from a gravel truck but a car and mine is 2 mm in diam. Should I call autolite or another company to fill it and stop a possible crack?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #37
minus9
Grand Poobah
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My windshield is already quite pitted, and yesterday I got the first pinhole-crack/rock-chip near the top of the glass.

I wonder whether there is a better spec'ed windshield from another manufacturer other than the OEM one that I could specifically ask for as a replacement. PPG? Someone else?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #38
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

BMW windshields are soft as hell... Yesterday while I was getting my windshield tinted, he mentioned that he's heard of people completely cracking their windshields by using too much heat from the heat gun around a small crack.
      03-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #39
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I had mine replaced about two weeks ago. Got about 6 rock chips and 2 cracks over 3" long in less than 3 years. I've lived in 3 other states and never had any issues with windshield. Rock chips and cracked windshield can be found on almost every other car in Texas but I must say that my BMW was the first car that I've had that has had the windshield issue.
Appreciate 0