BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

11-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #23
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Explain why...?

When is the last time you touched a dipstick? OR had use of one? There is no need!

The rationale is that you own a BMW. If something is a matter with your car.. it will tell you, then all you do is drive it in and drive away with a brand new loaner and a hot cup of coffee until they call you back! Why drive around WORRIED... like you cannot sleep and you cannot live not knowing your oil level?

You own a BMW.... it's their problem. Oil level is no concern for the driver/owner... just the dealer! Wake up!

Are you serious? ... I use the dipstick on both of my cars when I want to check the oil as well as when I change the oil in them?

I'm all for sensors to tell me when something is wrong and if it is something that I shouldn't be messing with, I'll take it to the dealer .. but oil changes and the like are something I enjoy doing and shouldn't be considered only a dealer problem ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #24
mgarritson
Rep
Drives:

Wow...

Quote:
Explain why...?

When is the last time you touched a dipstick? OR had use of one? There is no need!

The rationale is that you own a BMW. If something is a matter with your car.. it will tell you, then all you do is drive it in and drive away with a brand new loaner and a hot cup of coffee until they call you back! Why drive around WORRIED... like you cannot sleep and you cannot live not knowing your oil level?

You own a BMW.... it's their problem. Oil level is no concern for the driver/owner... just the dealer! Wake up!
Part of the fun of owning a performance car, such as the 135i, or any BMW, is tweaking it. For those of us actually having the skill and desire, it would be rediculous to take it into the dealer for every little thing. Personally, I use oil that I'm sure the dealer won't have, so it'll never see the dealership for an oil change. In that respect, a simple dipstick would be nice.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your rationale. I just don't agree with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 12:43 PM   #25
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Garrett, I assume you don;t keep your cars for long, and I'd never want one of your former cars...

Btw, just try to get a "brand new BMW loaner" for an oil change on a 1er... I have a tough time getting a BMW loaner at one of the more lenient dealers for my e90 330i (and I've bought 4 new cars from them).
+1
Also, not everyone lives five minutes from their dealership, so stopping in every time something minor crops up can be a big pain in the ass!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #26
nickmpower
Rep
Drives:

I have never seen a dipstick that goes into the engine block. I looked several different oil pans that might be capable and none of them look to be. It does seem like you could have the provisions for a dipstick welded onto the pan though

335 pan
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...64&hg=11&fg=10

e46 330 pan
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=11&fg=10
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #27
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmpower View Post
I have never seen a dipstick that goes into the engine block. I looked several different oil pans that might be capable and none of them look to be. It does seem like you could have the provisions for a dipstick welded onto the pan though
Good to know, but these oil pans are cast aluminum. It makes it more difficult to TIG weld a fitting on there, or (more likely) have one fabricated. Also, to get the pan out of these things, it's no easy chore.

To remove the oil pan on my e36, which is far less complicated, you have to support the motor, remove the power steering pump, remove the steering rack, undo the engine mounts, remove the entire lower motor support cross member, and then you can remove the pan. Repeat process in reverse to put stuff back together. Then pray you have no leaks or you'll be disassembling the car again...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #28
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I try to check the oil in my MINI every couple of weeks. I also check the tire pressure as well. I also use the stick to confirm fill level after a change. I am not as religious as some, but I do change my oil about hallfway through the recommended 15-17k by the computer. It is certainly not hurting anything to have the stick there and never used for those who don't want one.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 08:57 AM   #29
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I try to check the oil in my MINI every couple of weeks. I also check the tire pressure as well. I also use the stick to confirm fill level after a change. I am not as religious as some, but I do change my oil about hallfway through the recommended 15-17k by the computer. It is certainly not hurting anything to have the stick there and never used for those who don't want one.
Good for you!

You have the satisfaction of knowing that you're doing things the right way, and not falling into this current trend of dumbing down the car owner to the point of just being a passenger in the latest computer controlled "gadgetmobile"!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #30
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Explain why...?

note to self - never buy a used car from Garrett
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #31
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Are you serious? ... I use the dipstick on both of my cars when I want to check the oil as well as when I change the oil in them?

I'm all for sensors to tell me when something is wrong and if it is something that I shouldn't be messing with, I'll take it to the dealer .. but oil changes and the like are something I enjoy doing and shouldn't be considered only a dealer problem ..

Crowley

Yes I am serious!

If you want to change the oil... then change the oil. Why do you need a dipstick to change the oil?

Check the oil..? You mean perform an oil analysis..? How often do you need to do that? Does that alone warrant the need of a dipstick?

As for just checking the oil for the sake of it..? It real easy... start the car and see if there is any lights! *Dee dee dee* No engine lights, no need for oil! How much more simple can it be..?

I consider an oil change more than just Oil and Filter and you should to. Thats why my dealer handles all that (for FREE). Do you own a BMW? When you take it in they don't just change the oil, they measure your brakes pads, replace the coolant, etc.

I'd rather be driving around in their plush loaner relaxed on my way to an ice cream stand, than on my back, changing oil in my car because it reminds me of the days when I was in High School and I found it "phun".

No Thanks.. Oil Light means my baby is gettign the Doctor visti with scopes and precise measurements... not to mention it LOGGED into my car VIN.

... the 80's are OVER!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #32
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
note to self - never buy a used car from Garrett
All my cars are pristine... with overwhelming checkups and care. I trust BMW with their sensors, if a light comes on... it goes in THAT DAY!

BMW has more interest in maintaining your vehicle than you do... because at some point it isn't going to be your vehicle anymore, but it will still have the BMW roundel on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #33
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I consider an oil change more than just Oil and Filter and you should to. Thats why my dealer handles all that (for FREE). Do you own a BMW? When you take it in they don't just change the oil, they measure your brakes pads, replace the coolant, etc.

I'd rather be driving around in their plush loaner relaxed on my way to an ice cream stand, than on my back, changing oil in my car because it reminds me of the days when I was in High School and I found it "phun".

No Thanks.. Oil Light means my baby is gettign the Doctor visti with scopes and precise measurements... not to mention it LOGGED into my car VIN.

... the 80's are OVER!
This is totally not true, and you obviously do not know how this works, at all. I've owned many BMWs. In one of my current ones, I've had Oil Service I, Inspection I, and Oil Service II (in order), the last 3 times I have brought my car in. Oil Service is nothing more than an oil and filter, and they do not give "plush loaners" for oil service. Period.

By the way, to do my own oil changes, I use a MityVac, which extracts the oil from the dipstick tube. No dipstick means that I have to jack the car up to change the oil. Also, to check the oil, a dipstick provides a 100% foolproof method of checking the level. With a sensor, I really have no idea what the actual oil level is. For tracking, I run 1/2 quart over the max line. How do you do that with a sensor?

Thank goodness the 80's are over, or you wouldn't even have been born yet... :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #34
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW has more interest in maintaining your vehicle than you do... because at some point it isn't going to be your vehicle anymore, but it will still have the BMW roundel on it.
More crap. BMW only has an interest in having your car get to 50k miles. After that, YOU are paying for everything (or the poor bastards that get your trade ins, if you've ever traded in a BMW).
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #35
Brownergy
135i FTW
Rep
Drives:

Dear god, I had no idea Garrett was this simple. Do you understand what oil is and how's it's used? Do you understand how wear brakes it down? 1 track day breaks down the lubricating molecules of high end oils like Mobil 1 Syn, which is the only oil I ever use more than 1000 miles of driving. My oil level won't drop, but the oil has had usage. I change my oil and filter every 3000 miles or less, pending the way the car was driven in a certain time span. My grandma might not use up the max properties of her oil in 10k miles, but I could use them up in 1000. Do you understand what happens to oil when it's used in a motor that stays in 6k - 8k rpm for 500 miles straight with piston speeds higher than a F1 car? Mileage and time are not the only deciding factors of when oil is used up. Nor or the levels of which a computer sensor measures them.
Mitsu EVO X (white)
Garrett is a tool, nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 06:36 AM   #36
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This is totally not true, and you obviously do not know how this works, at all. I've owned many BMWs. In one of my current ones, I've had Oil Service I, Inspection I, and Oil Service II (in order), the last 3 times I have brought my car in. Oil Service is nothing more than an oil and filter, and they do not give "plush loaners" for oil service. Period.

By the way, to do my own oil changes, I use a MityVac, which extracts the oil from the dipstick tube. No dipstick means that I have to jack the car up to change the oil. Also, to check the oil, a dipstick provides a 100% foolproof method of checking the level. With a sensor, I really have no idea what the actual oil level is. For tracking, I run 1/2 quart over the max line. How do you do that with a sensor?

Thank goodness the 80's are over, or you wouldn't even have been born yet... :biggrin:

Sorry you take your car to a sub rate Dealership... I've always recieved a loaner for my oil changes and never has it just been kust an "oil change", they have always had a checklist on my paperwork the included many other things than just Oil & Filter.

BTW, if your doing the oil yourself... you don't FLUSH your system? When I use to do that task myself I always flushed it with 2 quarts, then blew it out with a filtered blower (ie reverse vacuum) that pushed out all the little metal shavings. Always heat the purge oil up first. Doesn't mityVac leave shaving in the oil pan..?

Now I don't care... I'm not as anal and let the dealership worry about such things.

But, then again.... what does any of that have to do with a dipstick...? 5 quarts out, 5 quarts in.. what do you need to check afterwards..? Or is it more of a peace-of-mind thing for you that you just can't let go?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 06:45 AM   #37
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownergy View Post
Dear god, I had no idea Garrett was this simple. Do you understand what oil is and how's it's used? Do you understand how wear brakes it down? 1 track day breaks down the lubricating molecules of high end oils like Mobil 1 Syn, which is the only oil I ever use more than 1000 miles of driving. My oil level won't drop, but the oil has had usage. I change my oil and filter every 3000 miles or less, pending the way the car was driven in a certain time span. My grandma might not use up the max properties of her oil in 10k miles, but I could use them up in 1000. Do you understand what happens to oil when it's used in a motor that stays in 6k - 8k rpm for 500 miles straight with piston speeds higher than a F1 car? Mileage and time are not the only deciding factors of when oil is used up. Nor or the levels of which a computer sensor measures them.

??

We are talking about a dipstick... not lubrication and the effects racing has on the melecular properties/structures of pure synthetic motor oil.

BTW, Formula1 engines exceed18,000 rpms...!

Your assumptions are way out of scope of this discussion...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 06:52 AM   #38
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
All my cars are pristine... with overwhelming checkups and care. I trust BMW with their sensors, if a light comes on... it goes in THAT DAY!

How can anyone be this gullible?

The only thing BMW is interested in is taking people's money. Period. What possible reason would BMW have for not including a dipstick on it's cars along with the oil sensor, other than forcing people to bring their bimmers in to the dealership everytime the car sets a fault code or lights a warning light?

If anyone on here needs to wake up, it's you Garrett!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 07:05 AM   #39
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
How can anyone be this gullible?

The only thing BMW is interested in is taking people's money. Period. What possible reason would BMW have for not including a dipstick on it's cars along with the oil sensor, other than forcing people to bring their bimmers in to the dealership everytime the car sets a fault code or lights a warning light?

If anyone on here needs to wake up, it's you Garrett!

BMW's interest is that people see highly maintained older models driving the roads in great condition. Ever see a e36 with 200k miles on it... almost every day!

You don't think that sells the image of BMW more than anything? Get real!

All that aside, why am I the only one who understands that a dipstick is a sensor??? It's a device to register the level of your oil. Like the computer!!!! The whole basis of you guys wanting a dipstick is that you seem to harbor some neanderthal distrust of computers even as you type on them!

The computer sensor works! Do you want a mechanical flag to pop out of your hood when you put it in park too?? Maybe there should be dropdown signs on the visor to register your other vital data. Learn to love technology or quit loving BMWs

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #40
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry you take your car to a sub rate Dealership... I've always recieved a loaner for my oil changes and never has it just been kust an "oil change", they have always had a checklist on my paperwork the included many other things than just Oil & Filter.

BTW, if your doing the oil yourself... you don't FLUSH your system? When I use to do that task myself I always flushed it with 2 quarts, then blew it out with a filtered blower (ie reverse vacuum) that pushed out all the little metal shavings. Always heat the purge oil up first. Doesn't mityVac leave shaving in the oil pan..?

Now I don't care... I'm not as anal and let the dealership worry about such things.

But, then again.... what does any of that have to do with a dipstick...? 5 quarts out, 5 quarts in.. what do you need to check afterwards..? Or is it more of a peace-of-mind thing for you that you just can't let go?
BWAHAHAHAH AAA!!! Flushing oil with 2 quarts? ROFL!!! You call other people retards? Since when has anybody ever used a reverse pressurized system to "blow out" the oil? That's what gravity is for. OMG, you are hilarious.

Dude, an oil service is an oil service. Oil and filter... Just drop it, you're looking pretty badly here. You obvioulsy don't know what you're talking about, or are being a troll and spreading complete misinformation.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #41
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Well, I know that when I change my oil, I like to be able to look at the level on the stick to make sure there is something close to the correct level there before I fire the engine up and start everythign turning. If I understand the BMW system, you can;t do that with these cars until after the engine is fired up. As much as you try, you can always make a mistake and put in less oil than you meant to, even dealers do this sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #42
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
BWAHAHAHAH AAA!!! Flushing oil with 2 quarts? ROFL!!! You call other people retards? Since when has anybody ever used a reverse pressurized system to "blow out" the oil? That's what gravity is for. OMG, you are hilarious.

Dude, an oil service is an oil service. Oil and filter... Just drop it, you're looking pretty badly here. You obvioulsy don't know what you're talking about, or are being a troll and spreading complete misinformation.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 07:28 AM   #43
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW's interest is that people see highly maintained older models driving the roads in great condition. Ever see a e36 with 200k miles on it... almost every day!
Another great quote!

E36's have required oil service intervals of 7500 miles, and they have a "recommended intermediate oil change" between oil service intervals. Btw, e36's also have dipsticks. It wasn't until the N52 that they dropped the dipstick (in 2005).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 07:31 AM   #44
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

You don't think that sells the image of BMW more than anything? Get real!

All that aside, why am I the only one who understands that a dipstick is a sensor??? It's a device to register the level of your oil. Like the computer!!!! The whole basis of you guys wanting a dipstick is that you seem to harbor some neanderthal distrust of computers even as you type on them!

The computer sensor works! Do you want a mechanical flag to pop out of your hood when you put it in park too?? Maybe there should be dropdown signs on the visor to register your other vital data. Learn to love technology or quit loving BMWs

-Garrett
So let me get this straight. The reason BMW tells us that we never, ever have to change the gear lube in our transmissions & differentials, is because of their overwelming desire to see well maintained BMWs on the road?

Seriously, you need to just keep quiete & stop embarrassing yourself Garrett!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread