BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Those tracking HPDE on stock brake set-up...any issues

I know there have been issues with some of the folks running more aggressive track events or all out race events with the calipers, etc. I was hoping to get feedback on experiences for HPDEs with the stock set-up, as well as from those who made simple changes such as upgraded fluid or pad swaps. While this is my wife's car, I've been doing some mods and will be taking it out for a few HPDEs. I was planning on upgrading the fluid, but debating about other changes.

Thanks for your comments on you experiences.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

I tore up the stock pads, and am now running some Hawk pads which seem to work better. The stock set-up would start to fade after awhile. I also put on the BMW performance front rotors to help cooling a little bit. I can't see any need to replace the 135i's calipers, they're both beasts especially the front obviously.

Next trip to the mechanic I'm putting on steel brake lines and upgrading the fluid, for a little piece of mind.

All that said, you can get away with running a stock set-up with the brakes. Remember, you're not racing the car, if the pedal gets soft dial it back a little and you'll be fine. However, if you're like most people and get hooked on tracking the car brake upgrades can be worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
have already run on my stock set up on two occasions. I wasn't very aggressive with braking but never the less ran pretty hard with no issues. next HPDE is in two weeks and I have already upgraded my pads, fluid and brake lines. should be able to brake a little harder and later with more confidence. oem pads are good in the beginning while you get your feet wet but upgrade if you track more often
      07-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

I upgraded my brakes. Installed HT-10 pads and changed brake fluid. I chose SRF Castrol racing fluid which does not need to be changed for 18 month and i dont have to bleed my brakes after every track event because you cant boil this fluid no matter how hard you drive in HPDE events. On my previous track car i also changed brake lines from stock to stoptech stainless but it did not improve braking power. I just got a little better brake pedal feel. With this set up i drove 4 30 min sessions in 93 degree hit very agressively and did not have even a hint of brake fading at any time.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 09 AND135I 11 View Post
I upgraded my brakes. Installed HT-10 pads and changed brake fluid. I chose SRF Castrol racing fluid which does not need to be changed for 18 month and i dont have to bleed my brakes after every track event because you cant boil this fluid no matter how hard you drive in HPDE events. On my previous track car i also changed brake lines from stock to stoptech stainless but it did not improve braking power. I just got a little better brake pedal feel. With this set up i drove 4 30 min sessions in 93 degree hit very agressively and did not have even a hint of brake fading at any time.
How noisy are the HT-10s?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanBMW View Post
Not as noisy as i thought. On the track i didnt notice any noise but on the street(cold pads) when i get to a complete stop everybody looks at me . But its not as bad as some ppl reported.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanBMW View Post
You will not want to daily drive with them, if that's what you're asking.

The longer you use them on the street, the more people at bus stops will start folding up their newspapers as you approach.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
You will not want to daily drive with them, if that's what you're asking.

The longer you use them on the street, the more people at bus stops will start folding up their newspapers as you approach.
No, I just was curious about using them on the street immediately before and after a track weekend.

However, I would consider pissing people off at a bus stop a positive, especially the way the buses drive here in Los Angeles.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

They'll be fine for that purpose. I often put them in at home and have a multihour drive to the track. If Im feeling lazy they might not come out for a week or two after an event. They get progressively more squeally.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Thanks for the initial thoughts. I had searched and read several threads. Just wanted to get more thoughts from a wider variety of folks. I have generally found stock brakes to be 'adequate' for short sessions at HPDE in decent, but as speed increases with greater experience I'm more concerned about possible failure or at least shortened sessions because of brake fade. I don't mind upgrading things as necessary, but as this is mosy my wife's toy I don't want to go overboard. I've got several thousand wrapped up in brake upgrades for my GT500 and M3 track car. Just don't want to go crazy on a car that will only see a few events a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

I ran on oem fluid. It was OK as it was my 1st HPDE with the 1er, but the brakes started fading at the end of the 3rd session.

Upgraded to ATE and found the hard way that it was a waste of money.

Switched to Motul RBF600 with bleed down after each HPDE and annual flush and it works amazing. Since then my pads were ruined and I opted for EBC yellow as I don't have the space and time to change pads after every event.

The pads screech on the street but they grab harder and are able to withstand slightly higher temp on the track.

Most of the time I run in intermediate group and have no problem with brake fade

my .02 cent

Lubo
Appreciate 0