BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

afew shakes even though I've don't it all

hey guys I have replaced my fuel pump 2 times before hitting 25,000 miles also I had BMW change my spark plugs right before my warranty expired at 45,000 miles I also recently got walnut blasting on my car done by Helix at 46,000 miles and still sometimes when I'm at a red light I get a quick small shake and I see the rpm gauge moving a bit and then stops right away I get this once in a while even with the hpfp replaced twiced. changed spark plugs according to BMW and. walnut shell blast

any idea guys?
MHD Custom Flash (E85) [Jake@MOTIV] / Vargas Stage 2 Turbos / Fuel it LPFP Stage 3+/ Moitiv Port Injection/ MMP Turbo Inlets/ 3.5 Tmap Sensor / ER FMIC /ER Chargepipe HKS-BOV / AA Downpipes / Agency Power Race mid pipes / Berk Technology race exhaust / BMW SSK / BC Forged Whees Toyo R888 tires / KW Club sport coilovers+KW Camber Plates / Spec stg2+Spec SMSFW/ APR Wing GTC200
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

??
MHD Custom Flash (E85) [Jake@MOTIV] / Vargas Stage 2 Turbos / Fuel it LPFP Stage 3+/ Moitiv Port Injection/ MMP Turbo Inlets/ 3.5 Tmap Sensor / ER FMIC /ER Chargepipe HKS-BOV / AA Downpipes / Agency Power Race mid pipes / Berk Technology race exhaust / BMW SSK / BC Forged Whees Toyo R888 tires / KW Club sport coilovers+KW Camber Plates / Spec stg2+Spec SMSFW/ APR Wing GTC200
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Are you sure you dont have a vacuum leak anywhere? Can you log your car at idle and report back your boost pressure reading. It should be >15mmHg or so.
      02-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

It could be injectors also and a lot of other things.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da _Grk_Tuner View Post
hey guys I have replaced my fuel pump 2 times before hitting 25,000 miles also I had BMW change my spark plugs right before my warranty expired at 45,000 miles I also recently got walnut blasting on my car done by Helix at 46,000 miles and still sometimes when I'm at a red light I get a quick small shake and I see the rpm gauge moving a bit and then stops right away I get this once in a while even with the hpfp replaced twiced. changed spark plugs according to BMW and. walnut shell blast

any idea guys?

Software. My car used to do that when new. My dealer changed the plugs/injectors/and spark plugs - and updated the SW when my car was brand new. I never had that problem again. I actually kind of miss it though.

Then later when I got BMW anti-tuner SW update for the HPFP recall... that killed my throttle response and gave me that "lag SW" update.

Personally I would just live with this - its really not causing any harm. BUT if it really bothers you - you could have bmw do a SW update and take your chances with the "lag SW".
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze
Are you sure you dont have a vacuum leak anywhere? Can you log your car at idle and report back your boost pressure reading. It should be >15mmHg or so.
how can I check if I have a leak how do I do this?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Finish reading my 3 sentence post. If you have a vacuum leak, you should be able to log your relative manifold pressure with either a JB4 or Cobb AP.
      02-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze
Finish reading my 3 sentence post. If you have a vacuum leak, you should be able to log your relative manifold pressure with either a JB4 or Cobb AP.
I'm stock my friend
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da _Grk_Tuner View Post

any idea guys?

Software. My car used to do that when new. My dealer changed the plugs/injectors/and spark plugs - and updated the SW when my car was brand new. I never had that problem again. I actually kind of miss it though.

Then later when I got BMW anti-tuner SW update for the HPFP recall... that killed my throttle response and gave me that "lag SW" update.

Personally I would just live with this - its really not causing any harm. BUT if it really bothers you - you could have bmw do a SW update and take your chances with the "lag SW".
well its not like its doing it all the time I'm just wondering why it does it at all
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #10
spun
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

My car did the same thing,
It ended up being my valve cover gasket.
Took it to BMW got it replaced plus the intake cleaned with the walnuts.

Three days after I got it back I'm merging onto the a highway I hit about 4000 rpm in 3rd and the car goes into limp mode.
Turns out after they replaced the gasket the "trained technicians" over tightened one of the bolts for the valve cover and a 2 inch crack formed right beside the bolt.

FYI- 2 weeks before I discoverd the leak i had it in for an oil change, I guess they missed that one
Gotta love BMW

Take a good look around the engine for oil and look at the plastic cover that sits under the engine, If its not the problem you only wasted 5 mins if it is you may have saved alot of headache
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
Walter_Sobchak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 135I

I've got the same issue, car stutters under high load/low rpm or big throttle inputs, then SES light comes on. Runs very rough for a few minutes then power comes back and SES light goes off. Does not happen every time I do a pull. 53,300 miles on the car. Accessport logged it as a misfire in cylinder 3. It has just had the plugs replaced and along with an injector or two (will have to find out which ones; written on paperwork at home). Car is out of warranty now other than the extensions offered under HPFP and turbos. I don't think the injector recall applies to this year car, but the local dealership has already replaced at least one injector under warranty so I'm wondering if that is the problem or a symptom of something else such as carbon buildup. Harumph. I really cant justify installing a new FMIC until this gets sussed out...

Last edited by Walter_Sobchak; 02-05-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Did you guys use BMW dealer bought spark plugs? Only use BMW plugs. See my spark plug DIY why. OEM plugs can cause misfires.

135i Spark Plug replacement DIY...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602804
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #13
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Did you guys use BMW dealer bought spark plugs? Only use BMW plugs. See my spark plug DIY why. OEM plugs can cause misfires.

"accordingly" to BMW they changed my spark plugs at 45,000 but i dont really trust them im willing to change them my self when summer comes back ofcorse i will get the spark plugs from BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
Walter_Sobchak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 135I

My plugs were replaced by the dealer and presumably they used factory plugs. Started it up last night when it was cold and it ran rough again, this time logging misfires in cylinders one, two, three and the mysterious "other cylinders misfiring" code. I'm starting to think that the cylinder heads are lined with carbon/oil and this will require the old walnut shell treatment. Rats...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Dack, seriously, why do you keep spreading fear about spark plugs not purchased from dealership? There are tons of people using plugs sourced from plenty other places with no problems. You keep spreading this misinformation and have never provided any quantitative information about alleged difference. Your position is based on a handful of stories about folks who had misfires. There are equally as many stories about folks who have had misfire issues with bmw sourced plugs. The guy on page 2 of your DIY even admitted that he put the original plugs back in before he gave up and took car to dealer. Seriously, i dont mean to be a dick about it, but for the love of god please post some hard data instead of regurgitating a bunch of hearsay.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Dack, seriously, why do you keep spreading fear about spark plugs not purchased from dealership? There are tons of people using plugs sourced from plenty other places with no problems. You keep spreading this misinformation and have never provided any quantitative information about alleged difference. Your position is based on a handful of stories about folks who had misfires. There are equally as many stories about folks who have had misfire issues with bmw sourced plugs. The guy on page 2 of your DIY even admitted that he put the original plugs back in before he gave up and took car to dealer. Seriously, i dont mean to be a dick about it, but for the love of god please post some hard data instead of regurgitating a bunch of hearsay.

I think we have two different opinions on OE and OEM parts. I prefer to use only OE instead of factory seconds(OEM). Feel free to use what ever you like on your car.

IF you search over on the e90forum... you will find some people who had issues with aftermarket plugs. The price difference isn't that great... and I did not feel like re-doing the job a week or month or two later. I'd rather do a repair/maintenance job ONCE.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #17
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

My car has a little hiccup at idle too, just a minor stutter, the revs drop by 200 rpm then it comes back.

No codes logged & I'll live with it instead of crap laggy software