BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
overwest
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

Rear Diff Parts + Tools?

Hey everyone,

Started to notice a leak developing from the input seal to my rear differential. I have access to factory repair instructions via ProDemand but our shop does not have the factory tools (indy). Looking to see what recommendations I can get as far 3rd party tools to pick up. Figuring I'll need some sort of seal puller/installer. Seen a few of the specific wrenches for the prop shaft nuts but any advice on whats good/bad I'd appreciate. Tried using the search function but couldn't seem to find any similar topics. If so feel free to post a link, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 04:23 AM   #2
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Assuming this is the inserted propshaft type diff (large 50mm nut at rear), you will need something that can hold the pinion whilst you undo the bihex nut.

It is held together with some insanely stubborn threadlock which you will need to reapply on reassembly once you have cleaned the old remnants.

My only tip is to heat up the 50mm nut to disconnect the propshaft, and to heat the bi-hex pinion nut. This will greatly extend the life of the tools as it is extremely tight even with the genuine special tools.

Don't forget to make a pair of small punch marks to restore the original preload. One on the nut and one on the pinion nose. I also use a depth guage to measure how far down the nut will need to be wound down.
Appreciate 0