BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #1
blewbyu2
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i with M package
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cicero NY

iTrader: (0)

another oil question

First time posting but have read quit a bit of stuff here and got a lot of information on my BMW so...
What is the general consensus on the brand and weight of engine oil for a 2011 135i? This is my first oil change and want to get it right. It is not been driven in the winter at all as it is a vert and we use salt on the roads here. I already have the filter and wrench needed.
Also I get a lot of brake dust on my wheels within a few days after cleaning and I hate it. I don't know what kind of pads I have because the brakes were done just before I bought it. I think I want to leave my rotors on this but change the pads. Can I do that with EBC red stuff or Stoptechs pads? I do want to go to a slotted and drilled rotor maybe next year.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
NorthernDancer
Captain
146
Rep
990
Posts

Drives: 325iX & 128
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa On Canada

iTrader: (3)

Go to your local Walmart and look for 0W 30 and 0W 40 in Castrol and Mobile 1. Look for BMW LL01 on the back label. Both used to be LL01 but I think Castrol is no longer certified. Now that being said, brand is not as important as doing oil changes regularly. I, like you store my car for 4-5 moths every year; my car gets 1 oil change a year and its in the fall just before being stored. Also, look in your owners manual for what is recommended there. For my 08, owners manual says Castrol in 5W 30 or 5w 40
Before you change pads, get some Wheel Wax on your wheels-won't reduce dust but will make cleaning so much easier.
And lastly, I always recommend joining BMWCCA. There's lot of CCA members/friends in your area ready to help/assist.
Appreciate 2
tock172352.00

      04-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Brigadier General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
2767
Rep
4,733
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Go to your local Walmart and look for 0W 30 and 0W 40 in Castrol and Mobile 1. Look for BMW LL01 on the back label. Both used to be LL01 but I think Castrol is no longer certified. Now that being said, brand is not as important as doing oil changes regularly. I, like you store my car for 4-5 moths every year; my car gets 1 oil change a year and its in the fall just before being stored. Also, look in your owners manual for what is recommended there. For my 08, owners manual says Castrol in 5W 30 or 5w 40
Before you change pads, get some Wheel Wax on your wheels-won't reduce dust but will make cleaning so much easier.
And lastly, I always recommend joining BMWCCA. There's lot of CCA members/friends in your area ready to help/assist.
Mobil 1 0W40 no longer has LL-01 certification.

Castrol 0W40 is LL-01 approved, and is a great choice. I use it in all my cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #4
blewbyu2
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i with M package
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cicero NY

iTrader: (0)

Thanks to both of you. I will join the local BMW club
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
04mazdaspeed
Private First Class
54
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

I also use the Castrol 0w40 and change it every spring. Car only sees maybe 2k miles a year.
__________________
2011 135i DCT, 33k miles FBO on custom e30 tune
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
Iron Man
Major
Iron Man's Avatar
United_States
170
Rep
1,016
Posts

Drives: '13 128i Alpinweiß/Korallenrot
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Mobil 1 0W40 no longer has LL-01 certification.

Castrol 0W40 is LL-01 approved, and is a great choice. I use it in all my cars.
To also add, don't look at Mobil 1 0W-30 either. It is not a LL-01 approved oil.

Castrol 0W-30 is also LL-01 like Castrol 0W-40.

Sometimes there are close out deals at year end on both Castrol products (AAP and AZ). Two years ago I got several quarts of 0W-30 for $0.25 a quart.
__________________
2013 128i I Alpine White/Coral Red I M-Sport Pkg I Heated Seats I BMW Performance Grills
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Brigadier General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
2767
Rep
4,733
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Mobil 1 0W40 no longer has LL-01 certification.

Castrol 0W40 is LL-01 approved, and is a great choice. I use it in all my cars.
To also add, don't look at Mobil 1 0W-30 either. It is not a LL-01 approved oil.

Castrol 0W-30 is also LL-01 like Castrol 0W-40.

Sometimes there are close out deals at year end on both Castrol products (AAP and AZ). Two years ago I got several quarts of 0W-30 for $0.25 a quart.
Damn! Good deal!! I would have cleaned them out.

The Castrol 0W30 and 0W40 are nearly the same oil. The 30 is a heavy 30, and the 40 is a light 40.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
Iron Man
Major
Iron Man's Avatar
United_States
170
Rep
1,016
Posts

Drives: '13 128i Alpinweiß/Korallenrot
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Damn! Good deal!! I would have cleaned them out.

The Castrol 0W30 and 0W40 are nearly the same oil. The 30 is a heavy 30, and the 40 is a light 40.
I did. I think I got 11 quarts from two stores for $2.75.
__________________
2013 128i I Alpine White/Coral Red I M-Sport Pkg I Heated Seats I BMW Performance Grills
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #9
jaye944
Lieutenant
Canada
483
Rep
486
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i cab msport
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

correct me if I'm wrong, LLO only if your are following "longer" service intervals

I do mine, every 6 months but I use OEM from the dealer
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Brigadier General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
2767
Rep
4,733
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
correct me if I'm wrong, LLO only if your are following "longer" service intervals

I do mine, every 6 months but I use OEM from the dealer
There is a lot more to the LL01 certification than just long drain intervals.
Appreciate 1
jaye944482.50

      04-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #11
jaye944
Lieutenant
Canada
483
Rep
486
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i cab msport
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

oikily

txs man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
There is a lot more to the LL01 certification than just long drain intervals.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST