BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
mike06612
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 convertible

Couldn't ask for better service from Gill and Tirerack

Winter time and all that, from our days with the 330 we knew for one snowflake within a ten mile radius, we would need snow tires. Putting them on new rims makes life so much easier (and the dealer is insisting once you demount a runflat you can not reuse it again and have to buy a new tire, which I know is hogwash).

So yesterday afternoon I figure it's time to call and see about all this magic I keep reading here about Gill and Tirerack. Never used them before, have some friends who have and they have been very happy.

A four or five minute phone call, and everything is ordered. The confirmation hit my mailbox before we said goodbye. There was a potential issue with the pressure sensors not being in stock, but they would be in a day or so.

I was a bit surprised last night when I got a shipping confirmation, even more surprised when ground shipping from Delaware to Connecticut was next day delivery. So today the winter snow set arrived.

When I asked at the dealer, they needed at least a week lead time, and the price was over double for sensors, tires and rims. A few local tire shops would have matched the tire price minus a dollar, but I would have been soaked on the sensors, rims, mounting, balancing, etc, and it would have taken a few days to get.

Seriously, anybody on the fence about getting tires over the internet or phone, pick up the mouse or handset and give Gill a call. He called back quickly, and even if my tire shop had them in stock, by the time they had space for me it would probably have taken longer then letting UPS bring them to my door 26 or so hours later (plus I don't have to figure how to get the four summer tires home in the 135 with the top up). I really don't think there's a need for me to ever look anywhere else for tires.

Last edited by mike06612; 10-23-2009 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0