BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2018, 01:17 AM   #1
tellreded
Rep
Drives: E82 N52

valvetronic help

just replaced my valve cover an gasket, all new spark plugs and now its making this sound.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j4kRxRECjGSJrIDF2

I feel like it has to do with the valvetronic actuator needing to relearn its stops but I don't know.

Process I took in removing the valvetronic actuator:
1: went clockwise (away from the tension) until i felt tension again
2: unscrewed the bolt under
3: unscrewed the two bolts holding in the motor like a tire, A little at a time, alternating
4: I jiggled the actuator lightly to make sure it was loose
5: while spinning the hex screw counterclockwise, slightly pulled the actuator out with the spinning of the actuator motor, not putting any stress on anything (hopefully)

Process I took in installing the valvetronic actuator:
1: put the motor in and did the opposite of last step, spun the hex screw clockwise until the actuator was snug with the gasket on the valve cover
2: screwed in the 3 bolts
3: reconnected the negative terminal
!!!note!!! I hooked up the positive and negative terminals in the engine bay to a battery charger BUT i forgot to tighten the ground nut by the exhaust side.
4: pushed key to on position for 30 seconds
5: off then on again for 15 mins
!!!note!!! the car was making a whirring noise the entire time and when I put my ear to the valve cover, I could hear sloshing. most likely oil?
6: tried to start the car, made one click and realized the ground wasn't on.
7: reconnected the ground wire and repeated 4 and 5.
8: turned the engine over and let it run for 2 mins to burn off the excess oil off the exhaust manifold.
!!!NOTE!!! the entire time I heard the noise in the video. I told my dad that it wasnt normal and there might be valve slap but he said it was something about a lifter tick. I had never heard this sound before though. I turned the engine off
9: I drove the car down the block because my dad told me to get gas, but I stopped prematurely to scan for codes (they're very confusing, stuff about torque 3 data 170 and stuff like that. I can post the pdf if anyone wants to try to make sense of it) and after that, i drove to 10 seconds back to my house.
!!!NOTE!!! the car was still making the noise through the rpm range and got faster as the rpm went up. only took it to 2000 RPM though.
10: I disconnected the negative on the battery and unhooked the valvetronic actuator wiring harness and spun the hex all the way CW again, but went
CCW back a little bit until i felt a little bit of tension. I reconnected the harness and the battery and did steps 4 and 5 again and I still have that ticking sound.

does anyone know what this may be and how I can fix it? I've read about the ista and my dad has an obd2 to enet cable, but I'm confused about what program I would need to buy and if I should even relearn the stops with a computer. any input would be appreciated and thank you for reading this very long post.
Appreciate 0