BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #23
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post
They are now working on a Meth kit and specific map :w00t:
Yep, they're planning on using the washer tank as a reservoir for the spray. Sounds like you'll be able to flip a switch to turn the map on and off, and the map will automatically switch when the fluid level gets low. Apparently 50/50 meth/water can be used as wiper fluid too.

Also, they're in the process of devolping a turbo upgrade. Sounds like the biggest hurdle ATM is finding someone to produce high flowing fuel pumps for the DI setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 02:35 AM   #24
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Performance: Great
Value: Great
Reliability: Pending

As soon as more data arrives for reliability I think this product is a winner.
      03-07-2008, 05:45 AM   #25
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Kinda off topic question... is there a practical use for meth injection for us 135ers who won't be 1/4 mile people or street racers? I wasn't too familiar with it, and have researched what the process is. The only conclusion I could come up with was that it was for dragstrip people, which is fine, and I know that there's a fairly decent number of people at e90post who go to the strip.

My kinda funny observation is that it almost seemed like it was because of tuner wars that e90post people started going to the strip though, after "just dynos" didn't cut it any longer.

^^Not meant as a flame... just as an observation.

So is there a more practical use for meth injection?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:01 AM   #26
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I ran a meth kit in the late '70s on a Mustang. My only question with doing that on this engine is the direct fuel injection. The intake is 'dry' all the way to the cylinder head.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #27
YYZATC
Private
Rep
Drives:

I have tried meth before but it was not really for me.....it might make me go faster but I didnt think it would work on a car.....then again I dont think we are talking about the same thing.....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #28
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Kinda off topic question... is there a practical use for meth injection for us 135ers who won't be 1/4 mile people or street racers? I wasn't too familiar with it, and have researched what the process is. The only conclusion I could come up with was that it was for dragstrip people, which is fine, and I know that there's a fairly decent number of people at e90post who go to the strip.

My kinda funny observation is that it almost seemed like it was because of tuner wars that e90post people started going to the strip though, after "just dynos" didn't cut it any longer.

^^Not meant as a flame... just as an observation.

So is there a more practical use for meth injection?
Basically, it makes you faster. That's about it, hehe.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #29
Madjack
Private
Rep
Drives:

Someone posted about this and the introduction of a flamable liquid into an area that is not expecting it could lead to issues. Unless you are running crazy boost and really lean, I don't see it as necessary. There are better ways to achieve safe results.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #30
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

I had a water/meth kit on my Mopar Stage 3 Neon. Yes it was a Neon:smile: Anyway, it allowed me to hold HOM(High Octane Mode) with a mix of 91 ocatane and 100 octane gas. It was kind of scary at first (Injection water into an engine), but it does work.

However, it requires a lot of attention and proper mixing. This is one route I will not take on my new BMW. I will go with an aftemarket ecu upgrade(Flash or piggyback) and possibly a new intercooler. But I want to keep the car very user friendly and enjoy the luxury and speed of my new BMW:biggrin:.... I'm done with super tunning...

Lastly, my Neon did manage a 12.4 at 116mph at an elevation of 3000ft with drag radials up front.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #31
Impulse
BMW ONE
Rep
Drives: 93 RX-7 R1, 135i

Garage List
Meth/water mix is a very cool thing. The water acts as a anti-knock since it can absorb crazy amounts of heat. Meth is super high octane.
The misconception about this is that your spraying a straight liquid into the intake stream. The nozzles do a really good job of atomizing the liquid. Its like putting a humidifier in your house. The car just sees a really dense air. Any one that has lived on the east coast in the summer knows exactly what i'm talking about. Meth/water can give benefits to someone thats even running race gas. Plus the water keeps the engine really clean due to a steam cleaning affect. I have seen pics of motors that have used it and they look brand new when taken apart.

Even on a daily driver. its a pretty inexpensive way to know your car will not be affected by any external temperature/humidity changes. The water/meth will even you out. $.99-$1.29 you can get 50/50 mix at most local walmarts...its washer fluid. Just get the pure mix with no additives.

And that is all without a specific map. If you tune for it on a FI motor you can pick up some nice horsepower and torque
      03-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #32
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Meth/water mix is a very cool thing. The water acts as a anti-knock since it can absorb crazy amounts of heat. Meth is super high octane.
The misconception about this is that your spraying a straight liquid into the intake stream. The nozzles do a really good job of atomizing the liquid. Its like putting a humidifier in your house. The car just sees a really dense air. Any one that has lived on the east coast in the summer knows exactly what i'm talking about. Meth/water can give benefits to someone thats even running race gas. Plus the water keeps the engine really clean due to a steam cleaning affect. I have seen pics of motors that have used it and they look brand new when taken apart.

Even on a daily driver. its a pretty inexpensive way to know your car will not be affected by any external temperature/humidity changes. The water/meth will even you out. $.99-$1.29 you can get 50/50 mix at most local walmarts...its washer fluid. Just get the pure mix with no additives.

And that is all without a specific map. If you tune for it on a FI motor you can pick up some nice horsepower and torque
Additonally, Helix will be using an actual fuel injector for the setup, which should help with things. Given the relative complexity of the Piggyback system, and the integration of it with the Attache maps, it should make for a fun and user friendly setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 05:39 AM   #33
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

The fundamental question that many are overlooking is what Hugo has been inquiring about; Does methane injection even work on direct injected engines?

I am sure it has some effect, but does it work well enough to warrant even installing it, or would it just hinder the ECU?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #34
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post

The fundamental question that many are overlooking is what Hugo has been inquiring about; Does methane injection even work on direct injected engines?

I am sure it has some effect, but does it work well enough to warrant even installing it, or would it just hinder the ECU?
I don't see why it wouldn't... Though I suppose there's only one way to find out.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #35
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't... Though I suppose there's only one way to find out.
I see it more beneficial to the hardcore racing types or those who are going to push the cars very hard. Just my .02

For me the Attaché, IC, DPs, intake, cat-back, and a tune should do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #36
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
When i first started doing research I was leaning towards the V2. More and more I'm now leaning towards the Helix. For multiply reasons.
1. The cost. $795 vs. 1295
2. Limp codes ( I do agree that some are caused by installations issues but the V2 is still having issues.
3. Shiv has been less and less active with the BMW forums and tunes since the release of the Evo X and STI, Helix has a great rep with the mini crowd and so far a very good one with anyone that has dealt with them for a bmw.
4. I like having 2 maps on the fly without my laptop. Flip a switch and I can go back to stock if the girlfriend should ever drive the car( unlikely, HAHA)
We tried to warn you guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #37
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
We tried to warn you guys.
No kidding. The way Evo and STi guys got flamed when they warned people about Vishnu was crazy. Time to say "I told you so!"
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #38
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
No kidding. The way Evo and STi guys got flamed when they warned people about Vishnu was crazy. Time to say "I told you so!"
Yeah, if I was going to go the non-dinan route, I would stick with a tuner that has a long history with BMW. The whole vishnu operation seems unprofessional.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #39
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

When's the Helix suppose to be available? Seems like it's been forever since people started posting about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #40
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
When's the Helix suppose to be available? Seems like it's been forever since people started posting about it.
As of last week...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #41
ramair311
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

My 1er comes in next Friday supposedly - yay!

Has anyone made the decision to purchase the Helix yet? More importantly - can anyone who has share their experiences?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #42
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I'm planning to go with it but haven't bought one yet since I haven't taken delivery. Check e90post for other owner's opinions.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #43
Metallic135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

on a daily driver that's so expensive to begin with, i wouldn't run a meth kit in case of failure and yes i know there's a lot of failsafes out there, but to be the gains just wouldn't be worth it. either run race gas, or be happy with an exhaust, ic and a tune!

There are a bunch of evo guys that run meth kits to good results, but a decent amount of failures, and I wouldn't want to post about how my kit failed to spray and i threw a piston/rod through the side of the block!
Appreciate 0