BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #23
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
You can also leave the fob inside the car when you wash it - the doors won't lock & unlock that way. Just keep the metal key in your pocket in case something goes wrong.
So the system is smart enough to know when the fob is inside the car vs. outside? Impressive.

The reason I ask is because occassionally I'll have to drive through a neighborhood/situation where I would like to keep my doors locked while driving. If the system can't tell, all it would take for a carjacker or some idiot to get to you would be for them to touch the handle, which they would do to try to open the door anyway.

Also what kind of proximity does the fob have to be in relation to the car for CA to work? What would stop somebody from running up and touching your handle to unlock your car as you're walking away from it?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #24
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Good tip on washing with FOB. I will try that next time (leave it in the car) and have another FOB in the house or keep the metal part in my pocket.

Is it possible to get a metal key cut as a backup? (without breaking my yodabank?)

I also want to know if there is a way to decapitate using the close function on the FOB. If I use the key in the door, hold close, everything shuts. Why not with the FOB. I think in Europe you can decapitate using the FOB.

EspressoBoy and Yoda

Note:
decapitate in the 1 I mean close the sunroof. Just trying to keep lawyers in business, as we all know they need us too.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #25
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadburn View Post
I leave the fob in the house when I wash the car. It's fun the f-i-r-s-t time....

Now if I could only get back all the time I've wasted tugging on my wife's door handle waiting for it to unlock. Turns out you have to use this thing called a key. (Let's just say you'll get used to Comfort Access before you know it.)
You can "set" the system to open only the drivers door OR both the drivers and passengers door with the touch.
I know on mine I can open either door with a touch of the handle. Never used the key.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #26
Bozmo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

On my G35 with comfort access, I left my car turned on to run in the house to pick up something from the house quickly. I left my keys in door thinking I'd be out quick to lock the door and then I got the idea of leaving the door unlocked as it's going to be a super short trip back, but forgetting the key was still in the key hole of my door. I get in my car and tried to drive away, but it didn't let me without the key with me.

I hope that's how the BMW's comfort access are.
Appreciate 0