BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Cleaning fabric on inside A pillar

I did a stupid thing this morning. A mosquito was inside my car while I was driving and I was swatting at it. Normally I'd roll my windows down to just shoo him outside but it was raining. Anyway I wasn't thinking straight and in a frenzy to get rid of this menace I ended up swatting him into the cloth/fabric trim on the driver side A pillar and now it has made a disgusting mess (see pictures).

When I parked I quickly tried using Windex auto glass and interior cleaner on the spot and rubbed at it with glass cleaner paper towel but no luck. Any suggestions on how to get this out without ruining the material on this piece? Some small wet vac attachment of some kind and soapy water maybe? Have I totally ruined the fabric here?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

It'll come out fine with most any upholstery/carpet cleaner. Spray it on there, let it sit for a minute or two and dab it off. Try not to rub back and forth- it should come off with simple dabbing motions.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
It'll come out fine with most any upholstery/carpet cleaner. Spray it on there, let it sit for a minute or two and dab it off. Try not to rub back and forth- it should come off with simple dabbing motions.
Thank you, do you have any cleaner product that you recommend? I do have the Turtle Wax carpet cleaner but its pretty foamy.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I did a stupid thing this morning. A mosquito was inside my car while I was driving and I was swatting at it. Normally I'd roll my windows down to just shoo him outside but it was raining. Anyway I wasn't thinking straight and in a frenzy to get rid of this menace I ended up swatting him into the cloth/fabric trim on the driver side A pillar and now it has made a disgusting mess (see pictures).

When I parked I quickly tried using Windex auto glass and interior cleaner on the spot and rubbed at it with glass cleaner paper towel but no luck. Any suggestions on how to get this out without ruining the material on this piece? Some small wet vac attachment of some kind and soapy water maybe? Have I totally ruined the fabric here?
Looks like you've already tried to clean it based on the water mark so it might take some additional soaking to get it removed. I would use a product like Wolfgang spot eliminator http://www.autogeek.net/wg5000.html

The fabric upholstery on the pillars is quite resistant to stains but blood is not so forgiving.

That mosquito looks like he took a liter of blood out of you based on that stain...lol

I say try the stuff you have (soak it and let it sit for a about 10 minutes) and blot with a microfiber to see if that pulls the stain up.

Good luck my friend.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82MSport View Post
Looks like you've already tried to clean it based on the water mark so it might take some additional soaking to get it removed. I would use a product like Wolfgang spot eliminator http://www.autogeek.net/wg5000.html

The fabric upholstery on the pillars is quite resistant to stains but blood is not so forgiving.

That mosquito looks like he took a liter of blood out of you based on that stain...lol

I say try the stuff you have (soak it and let it sit for a about 10 minutes) and blot with a microfiber to see if that pulls the stain up.

Good luck my friend.

Thanks, I did exactly what you said and it looks like it was worked out. The area looks very clean with no stains at all from either the mosquito or the auto glass cleaner + Turtle Wax carpet cleaner I used! At first I kept looking and thinking I still saw traces of the stain but I've put my iPhone "flashlight" to the area and it looks totally clean. Thank you both for your very good advice. Dodged a bullet here whew.

Name:  clean.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  346.9 KB
Appreciate 0