E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Aghhh!!! Front bumper scuff!!!

05-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Aghhh!!! Front bumper scuff!!!

I finally managed to scrape my front bumper by hitting that parking barrier!!! I've read other people's posts regarding having done the same thing, and I can now empathize with them...

The parking barrier left minor scrape marks JUST underneath the front bumper- sort of visible if leaning over, but enough to sorta annoy me.

Is there any way to smooth out the scrapes before touching it up with some paint?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Gitta
Kelly's 330i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
If they are superficial, you can try a compound polish. If they are too deep for that you might have to wet sand. Please do research before wet sanding and practice on something other than your car as you could do more harm than good.
'01 325xi | auto | TS-GDL-BW | ZPP | heated seats |........... mods | spoiler | mudguards | blackout grills | clear lights | halo projector headlights |
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #3
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
be careful with your bumper. it is $265 to replace but with paint job it's gonna cost you around $700. i know, mine just got replaced because two a$$holes hit me while my car was parked.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Gitta- the scratches are deep enough that there are actual grooves- paint was scratched off.

Vladinecko- its only $265 to replace the whole front bumper? Linda find it hard to believe...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Gitta
Kelly's 330i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
Then the scratches need to be filled, sanded, then painted. You might want to have a pro repair it for you. However, depending on the labor involved it might be cheaper to have it replaced. Try getting quotes for each?
'01 325xi | auto | TS-GDL-BW | ZPP | heated seats |........... mods | spoiler | mudguards | blackout grills | clear lights | halo projector headlights |
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I actually went to the dealership to buy some of that touch up paint.
$25 for the clearcoat/paint set. I may just pluck off some of that plastic shaving from the bumper, smooth it out and paint the grooves in myself. I'm sure it'll look a lot better than it does now...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 11:10 PM   #7
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330

I just discovered the same problem with my front bumper. A pretty good scuff under it and I can definately feel ridges where the plastic bumper was cut and scratched.

Question: I can't see it unless I am lying under the car, and since this is paint on a plastic bumper, do I need to repaint it? There's no rust to worry about, right? Anything else that can go wrong?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 12:09 AM   #8
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmye90
I just discovered the same problem with my front bumper. A pretty good scuff under it and I can definately feel ridges where the plastic bumper was cut and scratched.

Question: I can't see it unless I am lying under the car, and since this is paint on a plastic bumper, do I need to repaint it? There's no rust to worry about, right? Anything else that can go wrong?

wantmye90: I went out and bought the factory paint stick for my car. Washed the area, cleaned with alcohol, and then filled the superficial grooves with the touch-up paint. Did it a couple of times until the groove disappeared. Now when I look for the scratches, I can't locate them, even close up!!!

Give it a try- it'll only look better...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #9
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDriver
wantmye90: I went out and bought the factory paint stick for my car. Washed the area, cleaned with alcohol, and then filled the superficial grooves with the touch-up paint. Did it a couple of times until the groove disappeared. Now when I look for the scratches, I can't locate them, even close up!!!

Give it a try- it'll only look better...
Hey AWDriver - where'd you get the paint stick? I bought the touchup paint package from my BMW dealer (it comes with two bottles - one paint and one clear coat). The problem is that each bottle comes with a big fat brush like a bottle of nail polish. When I try to touch up with it, it gets paint all over the place! It kinda sucks BMW!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 11:11 PM   #10
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmye90
Hey AWDriver - where'd you get the paint stick? I bought the touchup paint package from my BMW dealer (it comes with two bottles - one paint and one clear coat). The problem is that each bottle comes with a big fat brush like a bottle of nail polish. When I try to touch up with it, it gets paint all over the place! It kinda sucks BMW!

wantmye90, I used this fine sable brush that I had bought from a hobby shop. It works a lot better as it holds just enough paint to fill in scratches. The brush that is attached to the cap of the touch up paints are too broad and get messy.

Hope that helps...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 11:57 PM   #11
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

ok i got the same problem too...exactly what do i need to do? sand the damaged area first? or clean it and just apply the touch up paint? i bought a regular black touch up paint from advanced auto parts since its only for the underneath part of the front bumper so its not visible
perhaps i should get the touch up paint from bmw..
help me out please thanks!
      06-19-2006, 07:05 PM   #12
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep

Garage List
Just got my first one yesterday! I'm sooooo pissed! :mad:

I was coerced into going to look at a new home my neighbor is looking at buying.

It’s right down the street and he and his new date drive up to my house in his Audi TT and call me on the phone.

I told him I didn’t want to go but they wouldn’t leave me alone.

Plus they said you drive. So we all go to look at the house and now I’m riding 3 deep. The driveway to the house is steep and has a divider in the driveway from their neighbors house which was pointed out to me too late.

Backing my car up, my neighbors girlfriend says watch out for the divider!

I hear scraaaaaape and bottom out!!! You know the sound! :mad:

I looked under the car in the back, but didn’t notice the front until later.

To make it worse, I have the clear bra, so I have to replace that too! I took the car to my dealership today and they want $750 to fix it.

Aaaarrrghhh! Stupid house! I knew I didn’t want to go!
Live and learn!

I'll figure it out! Just wanted to vent! Thanks for listening! (Reading...)