BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
n54oner
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Need Help! Oceanside (North County SD)

My OEM charge pipe blew last week, and finally got an aftermarket one (http://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-chargep...i-n54-n55.html) in after being car-less this time. I've spent hours trying to get the darn thing installed and am getting nowhere. It uses silicone couplers on both ends, and I can get it in one end but not the other. It's not complicated work and I feel pretty stupid for not being able to get it. I don't know if I need another pair of hands, or someone who just knows how to work this stuff.

It would be great if you had a BT scan tool also, as I'm running JB+ and with the blowout and stuff, I'd imagine there are some codes.

I don't have a lot of money after having to unexpectedly buy this charge pipe and a BOV, but I will pay for your time.

Anyone around this Saturday or Sunday that could help a fellow 1er owner out, and make a little money? I'm in Oceanside.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
bmw0bsession
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I would help you but I am in LA =\
BMW Performance Kidney Grille, CF Lip Spoiler, CF Diffusser, Blackline LCI Tailights, Magnaflow Full Exhaust, BMS Intake, Jb4 w/ E85, Meth Injection, BMS DP, VRSF 5" Intercooler, CP-E Charge Pipe, KW CS Coilover, M3 Subframe Bushings, VMR VB3 Wheels, Stage 2 Fuel Pump, M3 Control Arms, Dinan Camber Plates, Pure Stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
n54oner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0bsession View Post
I would help you but I am in LA =\
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Can you take a picture? I may be able to help tomorrow but if you take a pic maybe we can help you figure out what the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
n54oner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Can you take a picture? I may be able to help tomorrow but if you take a pic maybe we can help you figure out what the issue is.
Sure, here you go. Need the metal pipe in the rubber pipe below it. Pretty simple, but you should see my arms, they're all covered in bruises trying to get this thing in. I've tried every which-way.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Its clear the charge pipe and coupler are long enough. It looks like the coupler in the pic has a slight bend as well. Did you test fit the pipe? If not, I would remove the silicone couplers from both the throttle body and cold side pipe, then hold the charge pipe where it would sit when installed. This will Show you the orientation and gaps between the charge pipe and the throttle body and cold side pipe. If the cold side coupler has a bend, you can see which way the bend should be as well. I would also mark where you approximately expect the end of the couplers should be when installed on the charge pipe by holding the coupler over the pipe when you are test fitting. Then put the couplers onto the charge pipe stopping at your approximate marks from the test fit. Put on hose clamps and tighten lightly so they hold the couplers in place. Slide the second hose clamp onto each side. Slide the cold side pipe on and as you are sliding the cold side on try to slide the throttle body side as well once it starts to line up. Does that make sense?

Last edited by houtan; 01-25-2014 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: clarifications
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
n54oner
Rep

Yep, makes total sense. Thank you very much for the thorough advice. I have lined everything up and it looks like it'll fit just fine. Just can't get it together. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow morning when it's light out again, and take it step by step and see if that and a new day helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
n54oner
Rep

Finally got that bugger on today. What a pain! Then to top it all off, when test-driving it popped off! Go figure, haha. I'm guessing I didn't tighten it enough (it was at the IC pipe which is plastic and I'm afraid of over-tightening and cracking the pipe). So, wrestled with it for a few more hours and got it back on, tightened everything, and then waited an hour. Then tightened everything again, ran the car for 10 mins or so, tightened again. Then waited another hour, then tightened again. LOL. Each time the nut would go a little further.

Then finally I test drove it. I didn't go under heavy boost, but got enough to hear the turbos spooling, and it held together. I'm afraid to go WOT with it, lol. I'll probably keep tightening it until it seems 100% firm. I'm guessing the silicone pipe compresses some under the clamp, and maybe the clamp itself stretches a little over time, and that's why I can get just a little more out of it each time? I don't want to go too far and break something, but I also don't want it popping off. How do you find the right balance??
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Glad you got it on. Definitely good decision to be cautious tightening the hose clamps because they can be over tightened and break / bend pipes.

Getting a feel for how much to tighten them can probably be best understood through trial and error.

As for me, I try to put hose clamps next to the bead of the pipe. Then as I tighten the hose clamp, I can start seeing the bead of the pipe slightly bulge the silicone coupler next to the edge of the hose clamp. When I see the slight bulge and the hose clamp nut feels snug, I stop.

For the stock plastic pioe you may not get a bulge, so when you think it's tight enough try and feel for the bead with the your fingers by squeezing the coupler. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
n54oner
Rep

It's holding together! Thanks for all your help. I just kept tightening it little by little a few times a day, and driving it carefully. I'd tighten it to where it didn't want to go any further without a lot of resistance, then 12 hours later it could go a little more. Yesterday there was no more "give" and hasn't been since. I haven't gone WOT yet, but I've gone maybe 70% with decent boost and all's good so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

Glad you figured it out! There are a few tricks to getting everything togeteher for next time. A little dish soap and water in a spray bottle help everything slide together easier, so does a little bit of lube/wd-40/whatever. For intercooler pipes that keep popping off under boost, try a little bit of hairspray on the pipe and coupler. after everything heats up and expands, it is a good idea to go back and retighten everything, like you did. With T-bolt clamps you should be fine. Make sure the clamp is behind the bead on the piping.
Appreciate 0