BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Traveling to Munich

Hey guys, I need some help planning a German vacation stop. I am going to have a layover in Munich for 3-4 days in June and there are some things I would like to really see while there.I want to do the Welt/BMW tours, any tips on the best to take. Do they offer a shuttle or service to take a trip/ride on The Ring? What else do you guys reccomend while there. I would rather not rent a car, so keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Hi Derek - will you be renting a car while staying in Munich? Nurburgring is some five hours away by car from Munich. Unless you will have a car - I would skip it.

Be sure to visit the BMW Welt and Museum. Be aware that the Museum is closed on Mondays. I would suggest to visit the Welt during the week, that way you can see people taking delivery of their BMW's on the viewing platform inside the Welt. Every day at 11am and 2pm they have a motorcycle show INSIDE the Welt. You can also tour the Factory across the street for eight euros. Just see the Welt staff for more info or call the Welt to reserve a spot.

Dackel's European Delivery Museum Guide
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494657

Here are some things to do while in Muncih:

Viktualienmarkt is Munich's famous food market.
Deutsches Museum Verkehrszentrum
Deutsches Museum - Flugwerft Schleissheim
Deutsches Museum - Technik Museumsinsel 1, 80538 Munich www.deutsches-museum.de/en/information/
Circus Krone - www.circus-krone.com/de/
English Gartens or Englischer Garten - there are some nice beer gardens and its a very nice place to take an afternoons walk to get away from city life.

I would also HIGHLY recommend you to visit THE factory bmw dealer just up the street from the Welt. This is where all those Individual cars are. There is also a small restaurant inside the dealer as well as a gift shop. Be sure to also go downstairs to see ALL the cars they have on display.

BMW Niederlassung München Hauptbetrieb
Frankfurter Ring 35
80807 Munich

Dack
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Dack, I somehow knew you'd be the one to answer first. I would rather not rent a car, but I did not realize it was that far away. How many days would you say it take to take in all of the BMW stuff there? I have a BMW and an Audi, so I am debating seeing both if I have the days.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek8819 View Post
Thanks Dack, I somehow knew you'd be the one to answer first. I would rather not rent a car, but I did not realize it was that far away. How many days would you say it take to take in all of the BMW stuff there? I have a BMW and an Audi, so I am debating seeing both if I have the days.
Munich is such a nice city to walk around in. And the U-bahn and S-Bahn are quite easy to use. Get a day pass or tourist pass... to save money on musuems and riding public transport. See the local tourist office or your hotel for one. Also... you can use the Grey-Line tours to see the city. The grey line bus even stops out in front of the Welt as one of its destinations. You can hop off at anyplace you feel like, and then catch the next bus. http://www.grayline.com/Munich/View_All

I'd say you need about two or three days to see most of the sights of Munchen. But to tell you the truth... everytime I go visit Munchen... I see something new! And I have been over here for thirteen years!

Yes, the Audi Museum in Ingolstadt is very nice. Ingolstadt is also a very nice Bayrische city. Must smaller than Munich but still very nice. Especially in the warm summer months. Take an ICE (Inter City Express) train from Munchen to Ingolstadt - the train drives at 250 kph, everyone MUST experience that!

You could also take a day and go visit Salzburg or Cheimsee or Alps. At that BMW dealership Sixt rents cars there. Also inside the BMW Welt... they have something called "BMW on Demand" you could rent a car for an hour or two. The have EVERY bmw model for rent! It is quite cool.

I rented a M3 for a day Welt…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...rented+M3+Welt

On the very first and last weekend of each month.... BMW Classic has a cool program. They bring out some of their old Classic's in front of the BMW Museum... and you can "rent a seat/ride" around the city in one. I have always wanted to do that. I think it costs about 100 euros for a two hour ride around Munich's sights. What better way to see the city!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep

The Alps sound like a great trip, tours or do you think and American could drive the area?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek8819 View Post
The Alps sound like a great trip, tours or do you think and American could drive the area?
SURE!! Why not. The Alps are a very nice area to drive and visit. Stelvio is only about a 3.5 drive from Munich. About an hour South of Munich near Innsburck is the world famous Swarovski crystal. You can tour the factory there. Then drive further South to Nauder's and Stelvio Pass. Some of us Euro 1Addicts will be touring Stelvio Pass on July 20th and 21st of this year. Maybe you want to join us?

Stelvio v2.0 tour - July 20th and 21st, 2013...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809634

1Addicts at Stelvio Pass...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707757

Dackel's Stelvio Pass photos...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1#post10626201
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
FOACAD
Airborne!
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW/CR 135i Msport

Munich is an amazing city.

Dack has covered quite a bit so there isnt much for me to add.

When you pick out a hotel, just make sure it is near a U-bahn station and you will be able to get anywhere you want to go very quick and easy.

The center of the city is awesome, you can walk around just that area all day and feel like you only saw a small amount of it. Ive been to Munich like 5 different times of 3-4 days each and know there is still way more of the city I havnt seen. I absolutely love Munich and cant wait to hit it up a few more times.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Hit the Alps. Pick a twisty winding road and just drive. You cant go wrong.
      03-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
Hit the Alps. Pick a twisty winding road and just drive. You cant go wrong.
Another excellent suggestion is that you drive the world famous Tatzelwurmstraße. Kind of the German version of the Tail of the Dragon.

Tatzelwurmstraße runs from South of Munich to the Austrian border area, near Kufstein. Kufstein is a really nice medium city at the start of the Alps. They have a cool Alt fortress there too. Many bikers drive this Tatzelwurmstraße.

Some of us will drive this world famous road after our car show at the BMW Welt on May 12th. :thumbs:
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
If you do end up making the trek to the 'Ring, post up well in advance and I'm sure a few of us in the area will meet you there. But if time is limited I'd say stick to the Alpine passes.