BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Time for a bath and pics showing off the new shoes...

It's been many months (the horror!) since my baby has gotten a proper bath. With that in mind, and wanting to show off the new shoes, I decided to reward her with a VERY thorough cleaning this weekend. Part 1 took place today.

Before - passenger side: you can see how bad the paint looks. Tar, dirt, and oxidation everywhere. The paint on the passenger's side fender and the side skirt on the same side are really bad. The paint actually looks yellow, which you can sort of see in the pic.

Before - front: bugs galore! P.S. anyone know where to pick up some AW plugs for the license plate bracket holes?

Before - driver's side: no noticeable oxidation on this side, but tons of road tar, dirt, and other grime to be seen.

Sonax in action on one of the front wheels. Love me some CS7s!

Iront cut in action on the driver's side. I guess the paint was worse than it looked...

After wash, Sonax, and Iron Cut...before bug and tar removal...

I was really impressed with the Iron Cut. This is the first time I've used it and it left the paint VERY clean. Clean enough the I briefly considered not even using a clay bar on the car. But, after closer inspection, there are definite areas that need a clay bar still. So, that will happen tomorrow. Another product I used for the first time today is the 1Z einszett Anti-Insekt Bug + Tar Remover. This stuff is another miracle worker! It was super easy to put on and you just wash it off after agitating it with a soft cloth, brush, towel, etc. It made quick work of all the bugs and tar. And, after using it (the last step for today), I truly did feel like maybe I could skip the clay bar. Alas, I know better and will not skip it tomorrow. The car looks so CLEAN now I'm in love with it all over again!

For now, she sits in the garage, awaiting tomorrow, upon which I'll break out the random orbital and try out the NanoSkin Autoscrub for the first time. Looks to be the bee's knees, so we'll see. After that I'll be on to a machine polish and then finish off with Adam's Machine Superwax. Can't wait!!

I leave you with a fun shot for the day. With a license plate like that, who needs a badge...especially when only the diehards will understand it!

05-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Johnny-J5
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i F1 Sauber #106

Amazing results with what seem to be great products. Did you just spray the iron cut and rinse off or did you have to agitate? Looking forward to more progress!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

All done! LOVE the NanoSkin Autoscrub. It was the easiest and most thorough "clay bar" job I've ever experienced. I think it's my new favorite car cleaning product. Unfortunately, I ran out of time due to an unforeseen circumstance, so I wasn't able to polish the car. That's OK, it doesn't need it that bad anyway. Other than the front bumper showing its age with paint chips, you'd never know the car has just about 60,000 miles on it. I'm in love all over again. I detailed the car at my mom's because she has a garage and her neighbor asked me if I got a new car. Nice complement!

05-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Nice work! A clean car is a good car.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

A clean car is a HAPPY car and a happy car has a happy owner
      05-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
.:1of1500:.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Dream is dead.

Nice results.

What headlights are you running?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks! The headlights are Depos.
      05-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
A clean car is a HAPPY car and a happy car has a happy owner
i couldn't say that better myself.... absolutely
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

The brakes on our 1ers throw up so much break dust nice job though!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
The brakes on our 1ers throw up so much break dust nice job though!
But it's the trade-off for brakes that work better, right?? I'm due for new front brakes in a couple thousand miles and I'm thinking of getting low-dust pads. My car only sees the street so I'm not too concerned about high-po brake pads.
      05-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
But it's the trade-off for brakes that work better, right?? I'm due for new front brakes in a couple thousand miles and I'm thinking of getting low-dust pads. My car only sees the street so I'm not too concerned about high-po brake pads.
I switched my 128 to Cool Carbon pads all around and the brake dust is maybe 1/10th of OEM. Of course they will wear out your rotors faster but I am willing to accept that.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684413
Appreciate 0