BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Katera
Rep
Drives: Nadda

1M Officially gone in Houston. Can't even pre-order...

Hi guys been a while Sadly I was told by my local BMW dealers that the 1m is totally sold out, and no one in the entire region is taking pre-orders. The chickens have flown the coup. It's very sad BMW would make this car and make it next to impossible to get.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I call BS on the dealers. BMW HQ has already said there will be new allocations for the US given out every month or so. In other words, the ~600 cars for the US haven't even been allocated by BMW yet, so it's impossible for it to be "sold out".
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Katera
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I call BS on the dealers. BMW HQ has already said there will be new allocations for the US given out every month or so. In other words, the ~600 cars for the US haven't even been allocated by BMW yet, so it's impossible for it to be "sold out".

I wish you were right, I wrote this right after leaving the dealer. He told me they were not accepting anymore on the wish list and neither were the other Houston dealers. Flat refused a deposit lol.

I just don't get it. You spend millions on R&D + marketing, and then only make 600 cars for the US??? Bizarre. I guess I will look at the M3 again, but what a gas hog lol. Yes I know you don't get an M3 for the mpg, but still. The n54 still rocks for power : mpg

Ah well, I just don't get car companies....
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
I wish you were right, I wrote this right after leaving the dealer. He told me they were not accepting anymore on the wish list and neither were the other Houston dealers. Flat refused a deposit lol.

I just don't get it. You spend millions on R&D + marketing, and then only make 600 cars for the US??? Bizarre. I guess I will look at the M3 again, but what a gas hog lol. Yes I know you don't get an M3 for the mpg, but still. The n54 still rocks for power : mpg

Ah well, I just don't get car companies....
Yeah I'm guessing they simply didn't anticipate the demand for it. And plus, the Leipzig plant is already overstressed anyways with the new X1 and now the 1M + all the other 1s.
      03-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
looks like we need some worker camps again..uh oh
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

You could talk to a dealer outside of Houston.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

heck... he can talk to another dealer IN houston. I don't trust what one dealer rep says ... and I certainly wouldn't trust what one rep says about their competitors. Do your due diligience and make the calls....
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

I don't believe it either, but if it is true...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 M5, 23 X5 45e

Quote:
Hi guys been a while Sadly I was told by my local BMW dealers that the 1m is totally sold out, and no one in the entire region is taking pre-orders. The chickens have flown the coup. It's very sad BMW would make this car and make it next to impossible to get.
Try BMW of Houston North, #2 on their list just dropped off last week. They may have his spot available. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes...call each and every dealer in town. Also try BMW of Beaumont (rep. Sebastian). All it takes is a phone call.

I'll assume what the dealer means by sold out is they have many people on the list (more than est. allocation), now how many of them are on multiple dealers, i dont know.
Last i checked, Momentum South, BMW North and Advantage Midtown had 5-7 people on the list. (this was a few weeks back). They didnt take my deposit but took down my number if people backed out.

Good Luck on your search.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
dmanges
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe

I have a similar situation in Indianapolis, I'm #4 on the list and they only anticipate getting 2 cars. I've been told that #3 and #2 are going to drop, and that there are already 5 people behind me. Anticipated delivery is in the Sept/Oct timeframe.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
Katera
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21450 View Post
Try BMW of Houston North, #2 on their list just dropped off last week. They may have his spot available. Good luck.
BMW Houston north was where I went

7 on the list lol
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:22 AM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

[QUOTE=formula M;9138075]This is silly.

Anyone who wants one, will get one... plain
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #14
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
This is silly.
Anyone who wants one, will get one... plain & simple.
Respectfully ... what is the basis for this (pretty comprehensive) statement?

I don't recall reading or hearing anything that supports it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
A few quick change-over's can easily be scheduled into some production overtime runs.
It's really not that simple.
And even if it were ... the line availability just isn't there.

If the car is in the high demand that even members on this forum are claiming, why would BMW just turn its back on such easy and readily available money? To give the robots and computers some vacation downtime??
No.

Katera -

Check PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
Katera
Rep

Well guys I'm not crying wolf I'm just posting my experience. Take it or leave it, but if you are not way up on the list.....good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #16
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Well guys I'm not crying wolf I'm just posting my experience. Take it or leave it, but if you are not way up on the list.....good luck.
I hear what you are saying and understand a little bit of your frustration but in a way, it seems like you are saying, "The sky is falling," here. By posting your experience with one dealership (one sales rep)online. I think if you go to another dealership or call around, you will have no problems getting your hands on one. I think the internet dramatizes situations at times.
Also, the "official" release of this car isn't supposed to be until May (in the USA). So, many sales reps dont know what they are talking about or have all the information.

Here in Colorado, one dealership had no clue of the existance of the 1M, until I told them about it. Another one, has 4 deposits but have no clue of how many allocations etc etc etc... I think that given a little bit of time, you wont have problems obtaining one. Once the dust settles.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #17
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post
Respectfully ... what is the basis for this (pretty comprehensive) statement?

I don't recall reading or hearing anything that supports it.

I havent read any information that does not support it either. All we see and read is speculation at this point. Some people look at the glass half full (positive) and others half empty (negative) when it comes to the availability of this new 1M.... Some (not all) would prefer to panic, and jump on one of these right away and others would rather be patient and see if you can get one down the road. Simple
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #18
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
I think that given a little bit of time, you wont have problems obtaining one. Once the dust settles.
Unfortunately, I don't agree with that. As was pointed out in a different thread, Chapman BMW in Phoenix had 3 allocations and now has one left. They are now asking for $5000 for that slot and the car is still available across the US. As other dealerships learn of any new allocations I would expect this practice to continue. The cars may continue to be available, but it won't be easy and it won't be inexpensive to obtain.

That being said, if you really wanted a 1M, you probably shouldn't have waited so long to order.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #19
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't agree with that. As was pointed out in a different thread, Chapman BMW in Phoenix had 3 allocations and now has one left. They are now asking for $5000 for that slot and the car is still available across the US. As other dealerships learn of any new allocations I would expect this practice to continue. The cars may continue to be available, but it won't be easy and it won't be inexpensive to obtain.

That being said, if you really wanted a 1M, you probably shouldn't have waited so long to order.
I see what you're saying, but the flip side to that coin is that this is only the first run. Also, the official release of the 1M for the USA isnt until May. So, BMW can only build and allocate so many at a time (and incorporate other models in the production line as well).
Also,Many of us have seen this type of anticipation and hysteria with other makes and models in the past. This may or may not be the same? As i stated in another thread, the Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition was literally a limited edition car. only 300 built and there was a plaque on the console which told you which number in the series yours was (mine was 180/300). There was a frenzy going on before this thing hit showrooms. I managed to get my hands on one by simply waiting. To each their own on how they pursue this car....
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #20
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

That is one area that I think the most confusion resides: I believe that the dealerships do know how many 1M's there are going to get. In the case I used previously Chapman knows that it gets 3. Total. The information that seems to change monthly is which dealerships are given a spot in the order bank for their allocaton. Again, this is just my opinion based upon info from my CA and the hodge-podge of mostly incorrect info on this forum.

It seems that a negative opinion of the 1M is effecting how you expect it to fair on the open market. There is only going to be 600 in the US, 450 in the UK, but that isn't a limited release? Is it because it isn't numbered?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #21
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I bet my bottom dollar that there will be FAR more than 600 of these coming to the US.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #22
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

Based on what?
Appreciate 0