04-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #67
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Wow! Sorry to hear about what happened but I'm glad it turned out OK for you in the end. Can't beat a new motor, haha. Regarding your future mods, I would skip the ESS tune and look into COBB. It's just much more versatile. Pre-loaded onto the device, they have OTS maps specifically made for a cars level of modifications, and you can change them at any time as you add more bolt ons (downpipes in your case). When you start logging engine data, change maps, reading trouble codes, or contacting a protuner to maximize your car's power or to whatever fits your needs, you will be much happier.

Also, just a thought about the FMIC intercooler. I'm not sure if you purchased the Forge unit yet (which is a nice intercooler) but you may want to look into an option that has a bit more efficient IAT supression for the temperatures we see here in S FL. I personally run the Helix FMIC and highly reccomend it. There was no cutting involved, it replaces the lower plastic charge piping which can break (I don't believe Forge does) and it's considered by many to be the best FMIC just based on it's ability to supress IAT's with minimal pressure drop. Good luck man, your car looks amazing! Love the OSS headlights more than anything else, they really make the car stand out. Hope to see you at a meet one day
Thanks a lot man! Honestly I am still torn on the tune and am still debating ESS or GIAC, although COBB is definitely on option. I have been in a GIAC 1M that would be similar to my car and I loved it and always said if I tuned, I would replicate the car in the exact same way. As far as the FORGE FMIC it shipped last Thursday, I did not get the standard Forge FMIC for the N54 but the unit specifically designed for the 1M and N55. I am going to have to over night this software as the time is coming soon! What are the main differences in software? I really drive my car, I do not step on it occasionally and thats what worries me. I want it to be consistent as possible. The only negative I have read on the ESS is that the gains are lower. But also the tune is designed for drive ability and reliability, which is winning me over. Any input is welcomed, I want to understand the differences in softwares so I can make the best choice for me and my vehicle. I never thought it would such a pain to make decisions! Good problems for sure!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009

Last edited by bmw13; 04-22-2013 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #68
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post
Thanks a lot man! Honestly I am still torn on the tune and am still debating ESS or GIAC, although COBB is definitely on option. I have been in a GIAC 1M that would be similar to my car and I loved it and always said if I tuned, I would replicate the car in the exact same way. As far as the FORGE FMIC it shipped last Thursday, I did not get the standard Forge FMIC for the N54 but the unit specifically designed for the 1M and N55. I am going to have to over night this software as the time is coming soon! What are the main differences in software? I really drive my car, I do not step on it occasionally and thats what worries me. I want it to be consistent as possible. The only negative I have read on the ESS is that the gains are lower. But also the tune is designed for drive ability and reliability, which is winning me over. Any input is welcomed, I want to understand the differences in softwares so I can make the best choice for me and my vehicle. I never thought it would such a pain to make decisions! Good problems for sure!
None of those options are bad whatsoever, I'm just a little biased towards COBB myself The great thing about ESS, GIAC, and COBB is that they are all ECU re-flash tunes. This means they target load just as the stock tune does, rather than boost/timing targets the piggyback (JB4 and Procede) tunes do. What this gives you is consistent performance no matter what the conditions are, as boost/timing/vanos etc will be dynamic. For example if it's hot out, the ECU will up boost and raise/cut back timing in order to reach the same load target as it did with cooler air. That being said, I believe the COBB becomes an advantage because you have a handheld device that can change maps, revert completely back to stock, read codes, log, etc, where as with the other options you are somewhat limited in that aspect.

With COBB you can also contact many different pro-tuners that are experts in creating a map specifically designed for your car. Most protuners usually charge around $200 for this, and then about $50 for each additional map you request. For example, if you tell them to create a map where you want linear throttle delivery, consistant performance and a smooth powerband down low/up top etc for a road course environment, they can dial it in to do just that, tailored for your specific car, conditions, and gas quality. Or if you wanted an all out performance map to go along with that, they can do that for you as well. Pretty much anything you want is available to you, and you can always just hook up the COBB to change the map instead of going back to a GIAC dealer for a reflash for example. Just really convienient and accomplishes the same task, a flash tune.

All in all with whatever option you choose, you WILL be happy as they are all quality flash tunes. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, and it's all a personal preference, just make sure you avoid the piggy's (I've been down that road already. Not great ) Also, good choice on doing the intercooler before the tune, especially down here with the heat. It will just allow your car to breath much better and feel more lively and consistent.

Nick
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #69
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Out with the old...

And in with the new! Will be Stage 2 in no time!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #70
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Forge 1M/ N55 Specific FMIC

Even the tech commented on the craftsmanship and fitment of this piece. I had to stop and look at it for awhile upon opening, it is just stunning! Thanks to Harold @ HP Autowerks for helping me get this hard-to-find piece ordered/ delivered so quickly! Harold really goes above and beyond for his customers. I have been able to experience this personally on more than one occasion and it does not go unnoticed or unappreciated!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #71
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

So in love... OMG

I am so in love with this GIAC Stage 2 software! My 1er is a true beast now! From idle to the way she goes in every gear, I could not be ANY happier/ want anything more/ different! I can not believe the idle, it is so strong sounding! She is perfect/ BETTER than I ever could have expected/ or imagined! Words can not express how much I love my car even more now! This new set up is just so right! Thanks to Harold @ HP Autowerks for all of the assistance with parts and educating me! I will try and get to a dyno done over the weekend to report back my gains.

For someone like myself who used to be so anti-tuning, and for me to feel this way now says a whole lot. Burger ruined the idea of tuning for me due to the problems I had with my 135i and JB+. But when you do a flash, and coupled with all the correct hardware/ bolt ons etc, there is such a difference. GIAC you rock/ have made a true believer out of me when all hope was lost!

When the tuning is done properly, it makes all the difference
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740

Last edited by bmw13; 05-02-2013 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #72
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

A testimonial that leaves little doubt about your appreciation ... (Just don't go forgetting about mothers day next week!)

Wondering what all the not so obvious settings are for:
-Kill? (whatever the target of this setting is, this is a not a good name for it)
-Pump? (is it the eco friendliest setting?, what difference in fuel consumption?)
-MTOX? (what basic optimization directions are possible?)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #73
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
A testimonial that leaves little doubt about your appreciation ... (Just don't go forgetting about mothers day next week!)

Wondering what all the not so obvious settings are for:
-Kill? (whatever the target of this setting is, this is a not a good name for it)
-Pump? (is it the eco friendliest setting?, what difference in fuel consumption?)
-MTOX? (what basic optimization directions are possible?)
Kill is not active lol
Pump is Stage 2 but for pump gas
Race is Stage 2 but for race gas
I am not sure what the MT0X are for nor believe they are active

I was told I can set the following:
Stock, Pump, Race and Valet. Everything else is not active for 1M
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #74
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post
Kill is not active lol
Pump is Stage 2 but for pump gas
Race is Stage 2 but for race gas
I am not sure what the MT0X are for nor believe they are active

I was told I can set the following:
Stock, Pump, Race and Valet. Everything else is not active for 1M
from a self confessed button freak: the Giac access to the different tunes is

What kind of difference/restrictions in Valet setting?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #75
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
from a self confessed button freak: the Giac access to the different tunes is

What kind of difference/restrictions in Valet setting?
If I am correct, if turns off the boost all together.
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #76
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

A few more random snapshots!

2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #77
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

KW V3 Installed/ Aligned and Corner Balanced

KW V3 Installed/ aligned and corner balanced. It takes a lot less work now to accomplish that much more behind the wheel. That comfortable cruise speed of 60 is now 90. Until at least 90 you just don't feel like your moving at all fast. Cornering is obviously a butt load more fun. It truly feels the more you are focused the faster you can possibly corner. Here is a pic before corner balance and alignment. More to come after shoot today! Thanks again to member carchrism5, nothing but a true pleasure to work with!

2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0