BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

Adding Sway Bars

My understanding is that the stock 128i has no front or rear sway bar.

The M sport package adds an 11 mm front sway bar and no rear sway bar. (Not 100% sure about this)

I have an appointment next week to upgrade my M Sport front sway bar to the M3 28mm front sway bar.

I may also add the H&R rear 20mm sway bar.

Let's be honest though, i'm not completely sure what the overall impact on the car will be. It has the M sport stiffer suspension. I have no plans to add coilovers/shocks/suspension. The ride is fairly rough as it is.

What will the overall impact on the car be if I go with both front and rear bars?

I'm looking to just tighten the car up a bit overall without sacrificing too much ride quality.
      06-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
TJ710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I would start with just a front sway bar. This is what I did with my e46 and I loved it. When I added the rear sway bar I noticed less of a difference and ride became way more rough.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

The stock car has a front sway bar. The M Sport package adds 1mm to the front diameter. I think that puts it at a 26.5mm on the outside at 24mm in the middle?

The stock car has no rear bar. The M Sport package has an 11mm rear bar, IIRC

Adding bars will help increase turn-in. I found that the front bar increases understeer regardless of camber...and you really need a rear bar to maintain overall balance. IMO.

Ride quality will not be effected UNLESS you hit an uneven bump...then you will see an increase in harshness because you have a bigger bar which is effecting your roll rigidity.

Makes sense?
Appreciate 0