BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Comp xDrive

Swap hard vacuum line to soft line?

I'm pretty sure everyone knows what one I'm talking about. It's the one that drapes over our intake / charge pipe with the T fitting on it with a soft line coming off it.

Anyone swap this out for a soft line? I feel it's just kind of in the way and ruining the view of my nice Injen Intake. I'd like to swap it out to a soft line and run it under my intake out of the way.

If anyone has done this, do you have pictures of it?
      04-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

huh....soft vacuum line....huh?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Do you mean the line coming off of the intake manifold?

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Do you mean the line coming off of the intake manifold?
Yes. If you go to my build thread and look at the pics of my intake, you will see it.
      04-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

IF I am not mistaken that "hard line" goes to the brake booster. There is a reason why its made out of hard rubber so the inner(pipe/hose) doesn't collapse. IF it were to pinch off... you would have no power assist for your brakes.

"hard line" #9 in the picture belllow...
Name:  brake vacuum line mast cylinder 312.png
Views: 14692
Size:  38.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF I am not mistaken that "hard line" goes to the brake booster. There is a reason why its made out of hard rubber so the inner(pipe/hose) doesn't collapse. IF it were to pinch off... you would have no power assist for your brakes.

"hard line" #9 in the picture belllow...
Attachment 848045
Interesting. I've always used softlines on my brake boosters on every car / truck I've built. You sure BMW didn't use a hard line just to keep it nice and neat and off of the intake / other parts? I've never heard of a brake booster vacuum line collapsing?
      04-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
I see what you mean, that would bug me too. (but so would the injen sticker)

I'd talk to a friendly BMW mechanic about it.
      04-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Hm, depends on the pressure and construction of the line. Just because it is flexible does not mean that it will collapse. I would definitely consult a pro to find the right hosing though.
      04-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Time to trade my car in... OP just mentioned moving a line that he does not know the function of to show off a intake... The one series are getting too cheap.
;-P
      04-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
BruceWarne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 011100001 View Post
Time to trade my car in... OP just mentioned moving a line that he does not know the function of to show off a intake... The one series are getting too cheap.
;-P
Unfortunately I think you're right. I'm starting to get that same feeling I got when the STi/WRX started becoming affordable to teenagers.

Well, it's either the crowd changing, or me getting too old for the crowd. Either way, I think I'll be jumping out of my lease when it expires.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
As others have mentioned, using a soft line for the brake booster is not an issue for most cars. My previous car's brake booster line used a mix of hard and soft hose for the line from the factory. I ended up replacing the whole line with a soft line I picked up at the local auto store and it ran fine for 4 years like that. YMMV with the 1 series however.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 011100001 View Post
;-P
I'm fully aware as to what a brake booster line is. I've personally never seen a hard one, and they generally attach to the back end of the manifold. Since they generally are soft and attach in the back, I asked what it was and if anyone has moved it. I personally like my car for show and having fun, and if moving a silly vacuum line dresses up the engine bay, then cool.

I'm far from a "teenager", and I have rebuilt a few engines from the ground up. If you don't have anything constructive to say to my thread, you can get out.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWarne View Post
Unfortunately I think you're right. I'm starting to get that same feeling I got when the STi/WRX started becoming affordable to teenagers.
Well, it's either the crowd changing, or me getting too old for the crowd. Either way, I think I'll be jumping out of my lease when it expires.
Yes, I also hate it when these youths clog my message boards with their silly questions with solutions that work on Cars That Aren't Mine.

Better move to a different vehicle since it bothers me so much. I hear that new Lincoln has a nice soft ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 01:21 AM   #14
BruceWarne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
Yes, I also hate it when these youths clog my message boards with their silly questions with solutions that work on Cars That Aren't Mine.

Better move to a different vehicle since it bothers me so much. I hear that new Lincoln has a nice soft ride.
Lincoln, now there's a car to appreciate. I heard you can now get it with a performance suspender package.

No, seriously, I couldn't give a flying copulation what other people did with their own property. But the same personality disorder that made me buy one of these rabid beasts - and use it to it's full extend - also forces me to exploit prime opportunities, like the one presented by the OP and subsequent posters, to take the pish.

My apologies if I hurt anyone's feelings - although personally I cannot believe that anyone who drives a 135i can really be sensitive about little stuff like that. You ride a freaking pit-bull (bareback) and then you go get all offended and teary eyed when someone makes fun of you for putting a pink collar on it...

To me this car is a massive engine, turbo, an awesome transmission, missing (for now) LSD, and a very capable chassis (once you get rid of the standard suspension). I don't care what it looks like or what the engine bay looks like (all you see is plastic anyway).

Because this car isn't wife, or even girlfriend material. This car is that night. That night that you will remember for the rest of your life. Not because of the looks. Because of the passion.

It's a fluke - BMW doesn't build stuff like this.

And, when my lease expires, I'm keeping it...My residual is $23k...15k miles on the clock...Bargain of the century. I'm not selling it so some teenager can reroute the brake-booster line.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #15
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
I see that there is a lot of new members on here, people please do not turn this forum into E90 post or [Admin Notified]. com (I guess they censor ***********). Where a majority of the members just argue and belittle each other.

The op asked a legitimate question and just wants to clean up the look of his engine bay with the Injen intake. To the op I say buy a soft brake booster line and try it out. I don't think it should be a problem, but be in a safe area before going for a test drive to see if it affects the performance of the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

McMaster-Carr is a good source for stuff like this, just make sure to get the right ID tubing and any clamps as needed, and make doubly sure that the line is rated for vacuum and heat both. There there are plenty of flexible tubes rated for vacuum and plenty rated for high temps, I've purchased both for various uses home and work. I would expect there are some rated for both, I'd suggest having a look.
Appreciate 0