BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
135i mod pathway - "inspired by" 1M (how to get close to ///M performance)?

As we all know, the ///M team is really good at making great cars. So, I've been thinking that I might as well let them guide my own mod plan.

The nice thing about this particular pair of models (135i and 1M) is the fact that they use the same engine, so the two models aren't as different as a 335i and an M3.

I know that we can't build a functional 1M clone without changing out the entire suspension, but what 1M-type parts would be most useful to have?

So far, I've been thinking that it can be divided into four main categories: engine, suspension, drivetrain, and body/wheels/tires.

Engine mods are simple - the main things that the 1M has is just a more aggresively-tuned N54 with the appropriate supporting mods (exhaust, FMIC, air scoops, etc.). So we can easily outperform a stock 1M in that aspect.

For drivetrain, I think the main thing is an LSD. You're still not as good as an original M, but it should be close. Is there anything else?

For suspension, aside from shocks/springs (and possibly camber plates) and sway/strut bars, I think the main things are front lower control arms/wishbones and rear subframe bushings. My understanding is that the other suspension parts provide less noticeable benefit. Meanwhile, better shocks could actually make you a bit more aggressive than an M car. Is that wrong?

For body/wheels/tires, I'm thinking a front-end widebody should be good enough... either the Evo Racewerks kit or an OEM 1M frontend conversion. And rolled fenders in the back. With wheels that are lighter than OEM 1M wheels (Apex Arc8, Breyton GTSR), we could be sitting a bit better than a stock 1M in that regard.

Just to pre-empt a potential flame session, I want to clarify that I'm not trying to copy a 1M. There are plenty of things on my car that are distinct from a 1M. And even if I did do the frontend body conversion, I'd make sure to do something to make sure that nobody confuses it for a 1M.

So in summary, I'm thinking that the best initial mod pathway is:
Engine: Tune, FMIC, exhaust, other supporting mods
Suspension: Shocks/springs (or coilovers), sway bars, strut bar, M3 control arms/wishbones, M3 subframe bushings
Drivetrain: LSD
Body/wheels: Widebody front end, rolled fenders in the back, lightweight wheels

Did I miss anything?
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think the best bang for the buck would be to install all the 1M's alloy control arms and links and rear subframe bushings into a 135i. That will give you a nice handling car. There is even that interesting TRW thread that found out TRW makes all the ///M control arms for dirt cheap prices.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think the best bang for the buck would be to install all the 1M's alloy control arms and links and rear subframe bushings into a 135i. That will give you a nice handling car. There is even that interesting TRW thread that found out TRW makes all the ///M control arms for dirt cheap prices.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to when I said "M3" control arms. Might as well save a couple hundred bucks. It might also be worth trying the Powerflex inserts instead of the real M3 rear subframe bushings, since that'll mean that I can probably do the job in my garage instead of going to a real shop... but I haven't seen any real reviews of that, so we'll see.

I don't have any experience, but from reading, it seems like that combination of mods might get us a car that feels pretty close to a "proper" ///M car, except with more power and a tunable suspension. I already have most of it, except for M3 suspension bits and the widebody kit, which are probably my next two steps (already have rolled fenders, so I'm on the wider side as it is)... but I wonder how many other people might want to consider going down the same pathway.
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
It might also be worth trying the Powerflex inserts instead of the real M3 rear subframe bushings, since that'll mean that I can probably do the job in my garage instead of going to a real shop... but I haven't seen any real reviews of that, so we'll see.

One of our Euro 1Addict members Nick (Elsabor67) tried those Powerflex insterts. He said the rear axle still moved around with them. He then bought the 1M/M3 rear bushings and is happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Hm... good to know. I guess that answers that. Dackelone for the win again.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

lsd, control arms, subframe bushings, sway bars, coils, catless dps, tune, fmic, upgraded chargepipe, catback, wider tires, meth, whatever aesthetic goodies you care for. Thatll make a sweet 135i, youll walk away from 1m's.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Quote:
That will give you a nice handling car. There is even that interesting TRW thread that found out TRW makes all the ///M control arms for dirt cheap prices.
Searched for that TRW thread. Is it here on 1addicts, or one of the e90 forums? Mind posting a link?

EDIT: Is this it?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736789
      11-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimental View Post
Searched for that TRW thread. Is it here on 1addicts, or one of the e90 forums? Mind posting a link?

EDIT: Is this it?

Yes, that is the thread I was referring too.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Milton
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is the thread I was referring too.

Enjoy TRW stuff and the rest of rear suspension parts.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ade/ES2586480/

Regards

Milton
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So do you guys agree that the verdict is that, with the mods that I listed in the original post, we'd be pretty comparable to an M car?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

You haven't mentioned brakes. The 135i already has good brakes but aren't the M3 competition package brakes on the 1M better? I would check rotor size.

Jim
      11-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #12
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Yeah, I forgot about that. I'm happy with my brakes as it is, but I guess that's one area where the 1M would be clearly better until I upgrade it...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #13
EuroTunerz5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW BMW 135i M-Sport PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond
Yeah, I forgot about that. I'm happy with my brakes as it is, but I guess that's one area where the 1M would be clearly better until I upgrade it...
I agree you COULD upgrade the brakes but to be honest.... BMW over engineered the brakes on the 135i and went insane when they did the 1M. I would argue its highly unnecessary to upgrade our brakes other than minor tweaks for those track guys meaning pads or slotted/cross-drilled rotors to your liking. As far as size of brakes and capacity of our disc set up we are in more than good shape!

Thank you BMW
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #14
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTunerz5 View Post
I agree you COULD upgrade the brakes but to be honest.... BMW over engineered the brakes on the 135i and went insane when they did the 1M. I would argue its highly unnecessary to upgrade our brakes other than minor tweaks for those track guys meaning pads or slotted/cross-drilled rotors to your liking. As far as size of brakes and capacity of our disc set up we are in more than good shape!

Thank you BMW
Agreed.

http://www.evotechschweiz.ch/files/p...1_M3vs135i.pdf
According to this random report, a couple of tuned 135i's had braking performance that was quite similar to the E92 M3. I think I'm happy with M3-level performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #15
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Thanks for bringing my attention to TRW. I've used their brake pads before on high performance cars and honestly, for an OE-like pad I was very impressed.

What's the labaour involved in fitting these?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #16
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Thanks for bringing my attention to TRW. I've used their brake pads before on high performance cars and honestly, for an OE-like pad I was very impressed.

What's the labaour involved in fitting these?
3-4 hours for a pro.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #17
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
3-4 hours for a pro.
Why so long? Appears as only nuts/bolts + alignment.

But more easily done while swapping out the shocks & springs right? Seems like a logical thing to do at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #18
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
My understanding is that the other suspension parts provide less noticeable benefit.
I hated my car until I added the rear M3 arms and aftermarket toe arms. M3 subframe bushings fix about 75% of the rear end slop and the arms fix another 20%.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #19
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

OP, the suspension and tires are definitely the weak links in the 135i's performance. The engine can be upgraded fairly easily with a tune and bolt ons. I've spent most of my time (and money) so far on the suspension and wheels and tires.

I highly recommend the M3 suspension upgrades along with aftermarket springs/dampers/coilovers. In the front I've added an M3 (E93) FSB, M3 control arms and tension rods and Koni Sport dampers. In the rear I've added Koni Sport shocks, 2011 M Sport linear springs and M3 guide rods. Next I'm planning on adding the M3 subframe bushings.

The suspension mods coupled with the non runflat tires really transforms the way the car handles.
      11-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
So do you guys agree that the verdict is that, with the mods that I listed in the original post, we'd be pretty comparable to an M car?
Agreed.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #21
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Something that you will need to consider when doing the M3 suspension conversion is the rear camber link upgrade. You may find M3 rear camber link upgrade kits from various sites, but they won't bolt right up, unless you actually have rear M3 dampers. This can be quite frustrating, as many vendors will sell a coilover kit that is specific for your model, but you will need to enquire for a custom kit (front E82, and rear M3 dampers) if you want the M3 rear camber link upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #22
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Good to know. It'll probably be a while before I get to the rear camber links (if ever), but if I do, I'll keep that in mind.

Also, this is a bit of a separate topic, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread: how does the BMW Performance suspension compare to other options in terms of general performance? The previous owner installed it on my car, but I'm debating if I could get better handling with Koni FSDs or some other non-OEM shocks. I don't need adjustability, but I'm wondering if there might be a better option for maximum possible performance with ride quality that's comparable to what I have with the BMW-P suspension.
Appreciate 0