BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Slider128
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2009

Cool Performance Suspension and axle alignment

This may be a dumb question but in looking at the description of the BMW Performance Suspension, it states 'Two front and rear suspension springs are required and the axle must be aligned at installation'. My brain is curious about the part: 'the axle must be aligned at installation'. Is this about the four wheel alignment that one would normally get after the installation, or is there a separate alignment of the axle? I do not know of a different axle alignment. Or maybe this is German speak?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
old1
yield to pedestrians
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

It's just the normal alignment. But be advised that BMW has different alignment specs for cars with the PS. Make sure your shop has them.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

They do? What are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1 View Post
It's just the normal alignment. But be advised that BMW has different alignment specs for cars with the PS. Make sure your shop has them.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
old1
yield to pedestrians
United_States
Rep

I knew as soon a I mentioned this that someone would want them. I'll try to remember to scan the readout at work and post it tomorrow when I get home. Blogs are blocked on my office computer.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alow View Post
They do? What are they?
the PS lowers the car. lowered cars will have greater negative camber.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

A small negative camber is good for handling. So, sometime a small drop may not need a 4-wheels alignment. Based on my personal experience, I had installed lowering springs in my other car and did not do any wheel alignment and had good handling improvement with no side effect and the tire wear were normal. I know the manufacturers always recommend a 4-wheel alignment after an suspension upgrade and I am just provided another reference point based on my own experience.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

I would be really grateful if you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1 View Post
I knew as soon a I mentioned this that someone would want them. I'll try to remember to scan the readout at work and post it tomorrow when I get home. Blogs are blocked on my office computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14
the PS lowers the car. lowered cars will have greater negative camber
I see what you are saying, but not if they adjust the camber back to its original value.. It would just be nice to know what specs they are supposed to do so that I can make sure it was done on my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
old1
yield to pedestrians
United_States
Rep

If I did this right there should be an attachment to this post. It is the printout of the alignment the dealer gave me when I picked up my car after the PS was installed. The BMW dealer uses the same machine as my tire dealer and I noticed that the specs were different from an alignment I had prior to changing to the PS. Also note that the header specifically mentions the BMW Performance Suspension.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Scan001-1.PDF (64.8 KB, 350 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alow View Post
I see what you are saying, but not if they adjust the camber back to its original value.. It would just be nice to know what specs they are supposed to do so that I can make sure it was done on my car.
front camber is not adjustable on BMWs (aside for the small amount from moving the strut tower a tiny bit if you remove the alignment pin). So you get what you get. You lower the car, you get more negative camber. Note that rear camber is adjustable.

You should always get an alignment after changing springs/shocks. The camber change is not going to affect the handling of the car (except for the better) but the toe will likely be thrown off and that can really screw with handling and tire wear.
Appreciate 0