BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #45
derekL
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMDUBS

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 128i  [6.96]
just wondering, does the "clicking" noise happen to sound like the manual seat adjustments, when they click? I know its not the seats but i just want to know if you guys are hearing the same clicking as i am hearing.

|Shadowline Grills|Hotchkis Front Sway Bar|DIY CF Black Fabric Trim|Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler|Black O.Z Ultraleggeras|BMW Performance Exhaust|M-Sport Bumpers w/ Fogs|Shadowline Diffuser|CSR Eyelids|BMW Performance Shifter/Boot and Handbrake|AFE stage 2 intake|Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit|///M mirrors|Blackline LCI|
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #46
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

There is one click with each wheel rotation that sounds like a playing car in the spokes of a bicycles wheel.
      07-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #47
gyrfalcon
Ninja
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have a similar problem, but the noise sounds more like metal rubbing metal than a click and it comes from my left rear wheel when turning at about half to full left lock. It seems to be pretty intermittent too so I'll see if I'm able to time it right with a service interval.
      07-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #48
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict...Nah Im A Junkie! View Post
There is one click with each wheel rotation that sounds like a playing car in the spokes of a bicycles wheel.
You and I have the same issue. The dealer has seen the car twice now, checked the lugs, brake dust shield, etc. and claims things are fine, but the clicking is still there. It seems easier to engage the noise now, maybe because I'm obsessed with it. I can drive in a straight line and start a mock slalom and get the clicking during each right turn of the steering wheel. It's also proportional to the front left wheel's rotational speed - slow clicks when turning slowly, fast clicks as the speed increases. I'm just concerned that something will break or fail under load during my daily canyon drive.

I'll be taking the car into a local independent shop for my first oil change (5K miles - not covered by BMW) and have the shop owner see what he finds. The dealer techs are missing something.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #49
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisthetes View Post
You and I have the same issue. The dealer has seen the car twice now, checked the lugs, brake dust shield, etc. and claims things are fine, but the clicking is still there. It seems easier to engage the noise now, maybe because I'm obsessed with it. I can drive in a straight line and start a mock slalom and get the clicking during each right turn of the steering wheel. It's also proportional to the front left wheel's rotational speed - slow clicks when turning slowly, fast clicks as the speed increases. I'm just concerned that something will break or fail under load during my daily canyon drive.

I'll be taking the car into a local independent shop for my first oil change (5K miles - not covered by BMW) and have the shop owner see what he finds. The dealer techs are missing something.
You have hit the nail on the head with the problem. If you find anything out please let me know. Im debating going in, but might wait for my first free oil change. I keep checking torque on the bolts and it seems fine 88ft/lbs.
      07-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #50
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

I thought this would be the working of our dsc dtc and ediff. The brake chomps at the inside rear wheel on a turn.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #51
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrutled View Post
I thought this would be the working of our dsc dtc and ediff. The brake chomps at the inside rear wheel on a turn.
even at 5mph???
      07-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #52
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

I dunno. video tape it.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #53
Captain
Rep

And sound comes from the front wheel......
      07-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #54
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

^my only experience comes from autocrossing. Our group had a discussion about why all our cars clicked under load and luckily we had Larryn to fill us in on why. Are you positive its the front?

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #55
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisthetes View Post

took my car in for the third time (the first time fixed the problem - the dust brake shield - although, they did not do the other side while they were at it, hence the second time), and they ordered new dust brake shields and hardware/bolts for the backing plates. they did both sides. sound is gone again. we'll see how long it lasts.
the first two times, all they did was re-torque the bolts for the dust shields. this time, they ordered all new parts and used lock-tight (?) on the hardware for the new backing plates.

tell them exactly what you want done when you take your car in.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #56
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Does this clicking noise sound like a "Sparker", you know like a gas stove, when you start it, it fires the sparks. I'm hearing the same thing on mine car from a few weeks back. it's almost like I've a nail in the tire and it's hitting the ground on every rotation. The click frequency is relative to the speed. Only happens when I'm turning.
I've re-torqed my wheels haven't have time to check the endlinks or brake dust shield yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #57
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akak1997 View Post
Does this clicking noise sound like a "Sparker", you know like a gas stove, when you start it, it fires the sparks. I'm hearing the same thing on mine car from a few weeks back. it's almost like I've a nail in the tire and it's hitting the ground on every rotation. The click frequency is relative to the speed. Only happens when I'm turning.
I've re-torqed my wheels haven't have time to check the endlinks or brake dust shield yet.
Exactly what mind sounds like. Taking it in on tuesday.
      07-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #58
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict...Nah Im A Junkie! View Post
Exactly what mind sounds like. Taking it in on tuesday.
Mine, too. What the heck did BMW do wrong in designing this car?

I'm still waiting to do my first oil change to have an independent shop diagnose. Should be in the next few weeks, since I want to have it done before my road trip up to the Historics next month!

Let us know how yours turns out.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #59
gyrfalcon
Ninja
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just tagging along again. I have this same problem but on my car it sounds like it's coming from the left rear. I've retorqued the wheel as well so my official guess is that it's the brake dust shield rubbing somewhere on the back side of the brakes or suspension.
      07-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #60
techS54
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i

Look at your 2 piece factory front rotors, steel disc with aluminum hat riveted/pinned together for a slight amount of float. Under high cornering loads deflection in the front end causes the disc to put pressure on the hat and the pins holding them together. no cause for concern. Brembos have been known to do the same thing. Get used to it, its inherent in the the design ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #61
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techS54 View Post
Look at your 2 piece factory front rotors, steel disc with aluminum hat riveted/pinned together for a slight amount of float. Under high cornering loads deflection in the front end causes the disc to put pressure on the hat and the pins holding them together. no cause for concern. Brembos have been known to do the same thing. Get used to it, its inherent in the the design ;-)
So you are saying the click will be a permanent thing due to the design of the breaks if the car is driven hard???
      07-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #62
Captain
Rep

Just got a call from the dealership. They can't figure out what it is and have put their head mechanic on the job. Let's see how this turns out......
      07-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #63
rodi
. . .
Rep

what am i, a mirage?

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #64
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
what am i, a mirage?
I informed the dealership of the dust cover too. Don't worry. Now that doesn't mean they will actually do anything with it either.
      07-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #65
rodi
. . .
Rep

i'm going to scan my work order so you guys can show your service advisors.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #66
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
i'm going to scan my work order so you guys can show your service advisors.
The funny thing is. I told them exactly what you said about the cover. Called them yesterday and they said they couldn't figure it out (even though I told them what to look at). So they put the lead technician on it.

So I get a call today, and guess what the problem was????

The brake dust cover. DUH.