07-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #178
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Sorry to hear someone broke into your car. Lucky nothing was taken or damaged that much.

I think its time for everyone to put a switch on their OBDII port (power supply - pin #7 ???) or install a switch on fuse #74(but then you will loose your clock/date).

This is not just a 1M problem but a BMW problem - since it effects all 1er's and 3er's as far as I know.

Dack
Hey Dack, what about getting an auto electrician to split the OBD port wire off fuse #74 and have it wired to a separate/new fuse and then install a switch to that fuse so as to allow the OBD to be switched off without impacting anything else?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #179
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Hey Dack, what about getting an auto electrician to split the OBD port wire off fuse #74 and have it wired to a separate/new fuse and then install a switch to that fuse so as to allow the OBD to be switched off without impacting anything else?
sure - anything is possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #180
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
For the OBD only fuses #2 and 74 are eligible. Apparently the fuse slot for fuse #2 is not used, so only fuse #74 matters. Fuse #74 also services the dashboard lighting (but nothing else). Absence of dashboard lighting could induce a suspicious thief to abort his action, as he realizes that something is clearly abnormal (except if he read this thread ).

So what would be your main reason for rewiring fuse #74 ?

Name:  Fusebox2.jpg
Views: 24524
Size:  127.8 KB
Name:  Fusebox1.jpg
Views: 8413
Size:  156.1 KB
Name:  Fuse_74.jpg
Views: 8226
Size:  79.4 KB
      07-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #181
Artemis
Rep

Another idea: removal of fuse #36 (START/STOP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
sure - anything is possible.
Hi Dackel,

In our quest for creative solutions, here's another idea: removal of fuse #36:
  • it only services the START/STOP (fuse #36 is nowhere else indicated in the fuse box diagram) (so probably no other side effects);
  • easy to spot in the fuse box: the only fat orange one (40 Ampère) in the second row inside the fuse box;
  • more easy to remove than tiny #74 (you can use your fingers instead of the red plier) + probably no need to unbuckle the glove box because not as low positioned as fuse #74 + bigger fuse size;
  • unlikely to make a mistake: non of the remaining five fuse slots in that block are used.
Fuse #36 is the most powerful fuse of all fuses servicing the START/STOP, thus essential: fuses #6 (5 Amp), #28 (5 Amp), #36 (40 Amp), #55 (5 Amp) and #85 (30 Amp - slot not used).

So thieves might be able to push the car off the driveway (eventually after reprogramming the key via the OBD port), hop inside the car and have a good laugh about the easy theft ...but then the thief at the steering wheel will realize that the START/STOP button is brain dead.

Fuse box 1M:
Name:  Fuse_36_1M.jpg
Views: 67979
Size:  75.1 KB

Fuse box of your 135i:
Name:  Fuse_36_135i.jpg
Views: 56891
Size:  141.4 KB
      07-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #182
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

For starters make a metal plate and fix it before the OBD port with anti theft screws. That will complicate things enough if their out for a quick steal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #183
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
For starters make a metal plate and fix it before the OBD port with anti theft screws. That will complicate things enough if their out for a quick steal.
Variation:

Name:  OBD_Lock.jpg
Views: 6651
Size:  60.7 KB
      07-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #184
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

^ much more refined
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #185
geoffwhite
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda Magna

Key cloning thefts

Hi A_i_L - am researching this for a news programme - any chance we could talk? geoff.white@itn.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
latest on pistonheads

The crux of the problem is this:
I have at my disposal a huge database containing all this information. I am not able to link to it (it is not pulic domain) and I cannot refer directly to it any more than a doctor could refer to medical notes. For example I would never dream of posting information as sepcific as Band0 seemed to be willing to.
I also do not have access to this database when I'm posting. I am forced to refer to it from memory - it's not easy to recall perfect details when I'm talking about literally hundreds of reports.
I'm also not in a position to have a 'strategic overview' like many claim to in this thread. My information is from a relatively limited geographical area but a large sample size if that makes sense.

Believe me or choose not to, but I am fairly uniquely positioned in the centre of this issue in that: I am dealing with muliple instances first hand (so not a lone victim telling of their particular theft) I am not affiliated to BMW in any way but I just so happen to know a guy who actually works on their CAS systems as a design engineer so speaking to him about what BMW know has been very interesting to say the least. They are not as blind to the problem as they may seem and while some of their public responses are indeed laughable they are though necessity trying to keep a lid on the situation.

Some facts for you to ponder from my experience. Sorry, no links to corroborate this as none of it is in the public domain and I could obviously have made it all up.
Roughly 2/3 rds of thefts involve broken glass at scene or on recovery of car (sample size ~300 vehicles) It appears that high tech methods are NOT routinely employed to gain access to these cars. Accurate lock drilling/pulling is also happening but less frequently. Also in a minority of cases, often involving cars with comfort entry, there is no clear indication how access was gained. There is credible evidence that radio jammers may be used to block a key fob from remotely locking a car, or to disruupt the 'comfort entry' proximity system. This causes victims to walk away leaving their vehicles unlocked unwittingly and they will swear blind they locked their car as they always do.
BMW's are the only premium cars being stolen without keys in any significant number. Thefts outnumber the next most stolen premium marque about 3:1 (audis - key burglaries largely). Obviously this is meaningless without relative 'population sizes'. Audis and Mercs seem immune to "high tech" keyless theft. There are handfuls of other "keyless" thefts across all marques but these generally shake down to being the victim being mistaken (or on occasion lying to cover up the fact they left their keys in the ignition and thus invalidating their insurance) or to cars being lifted for parking infractions and then the reports not being properly resolved. Some very old cars are obviously still hotwireable. It's safe to say that in my experience NO criminal gang routinely lifts these cars on recovery trucks. Sheds towed by tinkers for scrap - yes. BMW's lifted off the street onto recovery trucks? No.
Recovery rates are very low at under 20% for BMW's vs over 50% across the board for all makes/models. Believe it or not if you get your car stolen you have a good chance of getting it back if it's not a BMW.
The device mentioned earlier in this thread doesn't code the key to the car, it codes the car to the key - it adds the key to the CAS as an accepted key which then opens and starts the car as normal. You can code one key to multiple cars in this manner. The key is in effect "solid state" and can't be re-coded or given a new identity, and doesn't need to be.
It is almost exclusively M-sport trim vehicles being taken. Diesels are very commonly stolen, along with all points of the model ranges. Premium specs are seemingly targeted like 335i's, 335d's but again without knowing the relative sales numbers its hard to know what's significant. 120d's, 5 series of all engine variants are going just as regularly so it's by no means only big engined or the most powerful cars being sought by thieves (but nice trim and spec ones and left hand drives do certainly seem to be more nickable)
Vehicles 2006 to present are affected, so long as it's an 'electronic' key without a physical ignition barrel. 2006-2009 seem worst hit. Again one assumes becuase it's parts demand driving theft and there's less parts demand for brand new cars.
What we AREN'T seeing is M-cars being targeted. Very few M5/M6/M3's are going. One assumes that this is because there isn't parts demand for them abroad, where smaller engines and diesels are far more common. This is of course conjecture. Being petrol heads I guess we assume that if you could stroll off with any BMW you'd pick the most potent. These are organised gangs and they steal for profit, not joyriding or fun.
X5's and X6's are being stolen - they're more likely to be recovered and they appear to be staying in one piece and going for export to Africa, whereas the bulk of "saloon" cars nicked appear to be broken for panels and parts very quickly and so recovery chances are lower.
It is also a big problem in Germany and the rest of the continent, the UK is not alone.
There is no suggestion BMW dealers/garages are involved - they don't need to be. You don't need loads of spare keys because one can be used over and over again. Remember, they're driving these cars off to be broken, not re-selling them whole. Finding a BMW to steal appears as simple as trawling streets/ carparks with high density of BMW's i.e. affluent areas and taking your pick of one on the desired list. Why try harder? On occasion there's indication specific cars may have been targeted for some reason -perhaps they're on that weeks shopping list - but overwhelmingly they are being taken from streets, drives and open spaces rather than within garages/secure or hidden areas.
So, take it or leave it..... I've seen the data first hand, I've spoken directly to people who've had their cars stolen, I've spoken to people with a strategic nationwide overview of the problems from a number of angles. No one is in any doubt it's a big issue but with corporate reputations at stake no one should be surprised that companies aren't shouting failings from the rooftop. They need to solve the problem before it blows up and this becomes even more common knowledge - although I'd suggest the stable door is wide open and the horse fast disappearing over the horizon now.

Sorry, I nearly forgot the important bit, which is of course the Crime Prevention advice:
1) Park somewhere overlooked and garage the car if you can.
2) Disable the OBD port in some cunning way.
3) Use additional physical security such as a steering wheel lock.
4) Consider additional and aftermarket immobilisers/trackers. Something perhaps that cuts fuel and is independant of the keyed ignition. Sadly I think this kind of security may become an necessity from an insurance point of view as time wears on.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #186
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwhite View Post
Hi A_i_L - am researching this for a news programme - any chance we could talk? geoff.white@itn.co.uk
G'day Geoff,

I luckily enough have not had a theft on my 1M but I can point you in the right direction for a number of stolen BMW owners in the UK

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...blank+BMW+keys

Take your pick, many will be willing (if not all) to chat with you.

S
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #187
geoffwhite
Registered
Rep

Thanks

Cheers - have spoken to a number of victims - I'm actually interested the data you've seen - we're trying to get a handle on the scale of the problem, beyond the individual cases....

Quote:
G'day Geoff,

I luckily enough have not had a theft on my 1M but I can point you in the right direction for a number of stolen BMW owners in the UK

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...blank+BMW+keys

Take your pick, many will be willing (if not all) to chat with you.

S
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #188
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Sorry that info I posted was taken from the pistonheads thread but appears a number of people who had posted stats have removed their postings.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #189
geoffwhite
Registered
Rep

Ah...

... I see - will keep chasing elsewhere then....

Quote:
Sorry that info I posted was taken from the pistonheads thread but appears a number of people who had posted stats have removed their postings.
Appreciate 0