BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #23
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Just want to note BMW didn't develop LT5 for specifically. It is rebranded Pentosin FFL3 that is also used in Porsche PKG. It is more like BMW picked this oil because its spec fits its transmission and Pentosin gave them favorable price.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2014, 01:11 AM   #24
tphss
das Eichhörnchen
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, F32 435xi

After reading this I ordered Redline D4 ATF for my 335i transmission to be changed next service, thanks!
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #25
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Hmm, was just checking the Redline site.

For the 1M they list D6, but for my '13 135i they list D4, even though they have the same transmission. The listing for the 135i must be wrong for that year.

Looking for a synthetic fluid for my trans, the LT-5 is REALLY thick at -30. Even after changing it just 8000 km ago.

Going to call Redline about it.

Edit: Looking at the Redline site some more, looks like they recommend D6 for the N54 and the 1M, and D4 for the N55 cars.

Now I am even more confused. Guess the listing for the 1M is wrong!??!?

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 02-11-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #26
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

For the 1M they list D6, but for my '13 135i they list M4, even though they have the same transmission. The listing for the 135i must be wrong for that year.

Looking for a synthetic fluid for my trans, the LT-5 is REALLY thick at -30. Even after changing it just 8000 km ago.

Edit: Looking at the Redline site some more, looks like they recommend D6 for the N54 and the 1M, and D4 for the N55 cars.

That's weird. N55 135i's should use the same fluid as the 1M seeing as how they are the same exact transmission.

Let us know what you find out.
      08-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #27
S4Sprint
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M

Updates Please

Any update on the fluid recommendation? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #28
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I tried Redline in place of LT-2 in my E46 and it made a great difference in late August. Once October and November rolled around, I did not like it's cold properties. The shifter felt gummy until the car warmed up which was usually when i was pulling into my parking space at work. Too little, too late. I think the bigger concern is that LT-5 was especially formulated for the 1M and they were very specific about it. I believe there was some new coating in the gears that they were concerned about and the previous MT fluid was not compatible with it....You just put some of the older stuff in your gearbox. Yes it's synthetic but not sure how wise it is especially under warranty. Also, Redline has a red color which is a tell-tale sign if you experience transmission problems and they see the stuff. I hope it works out.

I recently replaced my fluid with LT-5 and while picking it up, the parts guy told me there was an LT-6 that supersceded LT-5. I didn't confirm, just asked him for the LT-5 but it might be worth looking at that instead of potentially ruining your gearbox and getting caught in a warranty debacle. At this point it will take more than one gear oil change for the fluid not to have a red tinge to it. Cars that were accidentally filled with LT-3 by the dealer, I believe were offered extended warranty on gearbox.

Good luck, truly hope I'm wrong on this one.
I got the wrong oil and replaced twice with the correct ("immediate" and after 1000 miles; did not get offered and extended warranty but certainly will put their feet to the fire if I ever have a problem!.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 03:17 AM   #29
cosmick
Rep
Drives: 1M, M5 E39, 535i E34

Hello.

I'm used to put Castrol transmax Z oil in my M5 e39 manual gearbox, it really changed it and make it perfect !

I put the same in my 1M yesterday, the shifts are better.
I hope that I will not have problem in some kms...
      08-04-2015, 06:11 AM   #30
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmick View Post
Hello.

I'm used to put Castrol transmax Z oil in my M5 e39 manual gearbox, it really changed it and make it perfect !

I put the same in my 1M yesterday, the shifts are better.
I hope that I will not have problem in some kms...

I don't know if that oil would work well. It does not seem to be an approved oil for BMW gearboxes. ?

http://www.castrol.com/en_au/austral...ransmax-z.html
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #31
cosmick
Rep
Drives: 1M, M5 E39, 535i E34

Yes but the result is very good on my M5 e39 (I use it only on track) and lot of persons try it on M3 E46 (smg or manual) without any issue.
      08-04-2015, 04:35 PM   #32
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

I had notchy gear shifts, especially into 3rd, sometimes it wouldn't even go in. So, i went to bmw after around 2000miles of this and had the oil changed, I asked for lt 5 but got lt 2, they promised me it was the correct oil so I said to the manager; ok on your head be it, or words to that effect. I drove for about 1000miles with lt 2 and then had to get the clutch changed, separate issue. I asked what oil the car was topped up with, they told me lt5 so I cornered them with bmw bulletin stating it should be lt 5, they argued that it wasn't so I drove away and done another 500 miles with same notchy Ness then out of nowhere bmw admitted they were wrong and changed it to lt5...I can tell you know, what a difference, it's like I have a new gearbox, every gear change is super slick I've done 2500miles and it's perfect.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #33
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider
Quote:

For the 1M they list D6, but for my '13 135i they list M4, even though they have the same transmission. The listing for the 135i must be wrong for that year.

That's weird. N55 135i's should use the same fluid as the 1M seeing as how they are the same exact transmission.

Let us know what you find out.
Went with Redline MTL and avoided the whole issue.

Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #34
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae
I had notchy gear shifts, especially into 3rd, sometimes it wouldn't even go in. So, i went to bmw after around 2000miles of this and had the oil changed, I asked for lt 5 but got lt 2, they promised me it was the correct oil so I said to the manager; ok on your head be it, or words to that effect. I drove for about 1000miles with lt 2 and then had to get the clutch changed, separate issue. I asked what oil the car was topped up with, they told me lt5 so I cornered them with bmw bulletin stating it should be lt 5, they argued that it wasn't so I drove away and done another 500 miles with same notchy Ness then out of nowhere bmw admitted they were wrong and changed it to lt5...I can tell you know, what a difference, it's like I have a new gearbox, every gear change is super slick I've done 2500miles and it's perfect.
Interesting.

I thought each time a new version came out LT2, then 3, then 4 etc it replaced the earlier version. Why would they even still have LT2?

Are they not using LT6 now?
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2015, 12:01 AM   #35
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:
Interesting.

I thought each time a new version came out LT2, then 3, then 4 etc it replaced the earlier version. Why would they even still have LT2?

Are they not using LT6 now?
I'm not sure what they are on now but I'm sticking with whatever is in, even if it's no frills supermarket oil it's getting left alone.

I do have info that says the lt5 was specifically made, or upgraded from another lt, for the 1m due to the car having a new type of carbon friction linings on the synchros
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2015, 02:13 AM   #36
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
I'm not sure what they are on now but I'm sticking with whatever is in, even if it's no frills supermarket oil it's getting left alone.

I do have info that says the lt5 was specifically made, or upgraded from another lt, for the 1m due to the car having a new type of carbon friction linings on the synchros

That is my info too. LT2 replaced LT1 which my 2003 ZHP uses now. Again, BMW put LT5 for a reason and people were putting other stuff in the gearboxes that they couldn't have been tested or engineered for the 1M gearbox at the time. I'm sure now they might have something but people were putting Redline and other fluids in their gearboxes that predated whatever new coating BMW put in the gearboxes. I would stay with LT5 or another oil that says it is compatible or meets the same requirements as LT5.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #37
OneM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Well its been 3 years now, still no problems with gearbox. Did another service change with the same Redline D6.. good as ever, smooth & buttery

Separate note, changed diff fluid as well, this time to Motul's competition gear 75w-140, boy.. short term results as compared to SAF-XJ is amazing!. Less drag and car feels more responsive. Trials from GTR owners (standard fluid also SAF-XJ) is just as positive. Also, noisy diff is gone, but that's probably coz I was on SAF-XJ w/o friction modifier before
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 04:10 AM   #38
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

I'll just add this here from Redline's manual trans lubes PDF found here http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...%2010-13-1.pdf

Quote:
D4 ATF and High-Temp ATF provides the gear protection of a GL-4 gear oil in an automatic transmission fluid, which is far superior to a conventional ATF. This gear protection makes it perfect for lubricating automatic transaxles and high-performance automatic transmissions. The D4 ATF provides the best low-temperature shiftability. MTL® provides better wear protection in most manual transmissions which call for an ATF which can be very important in racing applications. MTL ® provides the low-temperature properties equivalent to a petroleum ATF. All Red Line transmission lubricants provide excellent synchronizer compatibility.
Seems they're saying MTL provides better wear protection than their ATF oils. Given the power/torque of the 1M vs a 135i/335i it could be a better choice. A super thin ATF just doesn't sit well with me in a manual trans. There's more to oil choice than "smooth cold shifting" which seems to be almost exclusively what BMW owners focus on rather than taking into account mechanical/physical properties of an oil/gearbox that may explain this.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #39
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Mike Miller said in a previous version of his Maintenance Guide that he uses MTL in BMW manual transmissions exclusively, unless he can't trust the driver to shift properly when the gearbox is cold -- in those cases he'll use an ATF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einserM View Post
I'll just add this here from Redline's manual trans lubes PDF found here http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...%2010-13-1.pdf

Seems they're saying MTL provides better wear protection than their ATF oils. Given the power/torque of the 1M vs a 135i/335i it could be a better choice. A super thin ATF just doesn't sit well with me in a manual trans. There's more to oil choice than "smooth cold shifting" which seems to be almost exclusively what BMW owners focus on rather than taking into account mechanical/physical properties of an oil/gearbox that may explain this.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #40
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep

The weird thing is the 1M box requires FFL-3 from pentosin. ZF state this is their recommended fluid. BMW MTF-LT-5 was brought out specifically for the 1M, it is relabelled FFL-3. FFL-3 is also used in the porsche pdk box. For that application redline state their DCTF is the replacement. Why then do redline state that D6 ATF is the replacement for FFL-3 in the 1M trans? Seems like they've stuffed up there!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 11:43 PM   #41
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by einserM View Post
The weird thing is the 1M box requires FFL-3 from pentosin. ZF state this is their recommended fluid. BMW MTF-LT-5 was brought out specifically for the 1M, it is relabelled FFL-3. FFL-3 is also used in the porsche pdk box. For that application redline state their DCTF is the replacement. Why then do redline state that D6 ATF is the replacement for FFL-3 in the 1M trans? Seems like they've stuffed up there!
Yeah apparently FFL-3 and MTF-LT-5 are identical - early on there were problems sourcing LT5 and so some used FFL3.

I've always run into consistency problems on redline's website with regards to recommended fluids (MTL? ATF? D4? D6?) and so just end up using OEM stuff.

Another trivia point - the 1M gearbox is the same as the N55 manual gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #42
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Another trivia point - the 1M gearbox is the same as the N55 manual gearbox.
It is AFTER the 1M gearbox with some sort of new coating on some parts. This piece of trivia has been used to say that there was no difference in the 1M gearbox. At the time it came out it was in fact different hence LT-5 required. Then they used it on all manual transmissions after that. Even 335i after that used LT-5. The whole point of the thread was that BMW came up with LT-5 because there was something different in the 1M gearbox then and people were putting Redline fluid that had been around for years. So it's safe to assume that they would not have been tested for the new coatings. Because of that, it seems like the safe thing was to stay with BMW LT-5. Perhaps now Redline has tested or adjusted their formulation to be safe with the coatings but back in 2011 it seemed risky.

Maybe now they meet all the BMW requirements but I doubt they did back in June 2011.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #43
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep

I posted this in the 1M oil sticky but will post here too.

The official word from redline, DCTF is a more suitable substitute for MTF-LT-5 aka Pentosin FFL-3 than either D4 or D6.

Attachment 1319866

specs...
https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=146&pcid=9
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #44
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Confusing -- I'm a simple country mouse. Are we perhaps gilding the lily here?

Interesting research though. In the final analysis, since BMW recommends LT-5 and it's been working fine for me, I'm unlikely to stray far from the party line.
Appreciate 1