BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #89
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

BMW...head...ass...same spot not good!
Well 90% of this i want. I guess I can't talk to BMW about it so i have to do it myself!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #90
nnguyen04
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

found a few d-can cable for 30 bucks. would that also work? it say it will work on 08 below tho? does that matter? most say 08 - below.

excited to get some coding done
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #91
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I went the "other route" for a cable and ordered the $100 one that others report success with. Lower prices are always tempting but I was concerned that it might not work and then I would be out $30. On the other hand, it might and then you will have saved $70. It seems like we should be able to buy a couple connectors and a bit of cable and solder something up for much less than $100 but I don't know where to get the diagram of what pins to connect to which pins in the two connectors. And I further understand it is different for different BMW models. The $100 cable is apparently set up for the later models but with a converter plug so you can use it for the earlier models.

Jim
      06-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #92
peepsdayz
driver
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 135i

2012 135i... no success

I cant get it to work... THIS is the cable im using, once i plug it in the OBD port the amber light comes on (not green as i thought is should)

INPA 5.0.2 shows the 2 black dots but once i try to pull some info it gives me a communication error and NCS Expert 3.0.8 cant communicate with my car (vin faulty error)

can you guys please check of your OBD port looks like mine? i only see 6 female pins. thanks

06-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #93
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 manual

Has anyone used this cable and softwere
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_11128wt_922
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #94
DSCPLN
BMW 1M
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren 600LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCPLN View Post
Just ordered one as the community cable for the New England area. How long did shipment take? The site said delivery is direct from their warehouses in China.
Received these today. 10 days from order date.
(via http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16)

Can't wait to get some coding done over the weekend!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #95
DSCPLN
BMW 1M
United_States
Rep

A bit excited about coding my 1M this weekend..

Can any of you coding veterans give me any tips or a step-by-step for coding the following:
Quote:
MODULE Function Value - Function Description

KOMBI BC_DIGITAL_V - Enable Digital Speed Display on Dashboard
KOMBI C08_TANK_SCHWELLE_RESERVE - Fuel Reserve Warning at 1/8th Tank instead of 1/4th
CAPPL LEGAL_DISCL - Disable iDrive (Navigation) Disclaimer
CAPPL VA_FB_NAVIGATION - Default Screen to Navigation after Startup
[N]FRM SIDEMARKER_US_NFRM - Disable Amber Corner Lights when Headlights are ON
CAS ER_KEYOUT_AUTOVR - Unlock Doors when Engine is Turned OFF
CAS KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB - Enable Open/Close Windows with Key
[N]FRM ASP_KOMFORT_EINKLAPP (or SPIEGEL_KOMFORT_EINKLAPP) - Enable Fold/Unfold Side Mirrors with Key
I downloaded the "updated" software files from: http://www.christopherkriens.com/share/CODINGAPPS.zip

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #96
jerra-roo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i and X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCPLN View Post
A bit excited about coding my 1M this weekend..

Can any of you coding veterans give me any tips or a step-by-step for coding the following:

I downloaded the "updated" software files from: http://www.christopherkriens.com/share/CODINGAPPS.zip

Thanks in advance!
How did you go with the cable and the updated software from: http://www.christopherkriens.com/share/CODINGAPPS.zip?

I'm interested because this cable I bought for my 2008/11 135i coupe from http://www.ebay.com/itm/INPA-Ediabas...e24b20&vxp=mtr didn't work. IMPA and NCS Expert both came up with error code when trying to read codes. I suspect it is a cable compatibility issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #97
DSCPLN
BMW 1M
United_States
Rep

So.. the cable I got worked fine.
But the problem isn't just the cables..
Coding BMW's in general take A WHILE to learn.

Ran into a bunch of issues with software compatibility since the software is meant to run on 32bit Windows XP machines.. Ended up using a Virtual Machine on my Windows 7 laptop and still had to downgrade the version of some of the software included in "Christopher Kriens"'s files to get it to read the car..

I ended up evaluating my time and instead had a local guy who codes BMW's on the US East Coast named "OK" code everything for me (his phone number is 585-4nine6-464eight). Feel free to say that "Will" or DSCPLN referred ya. It took less than 30mins.

Although I bought the cable, downloaded the software, read all the amass of tutorials... I came to the conclusion that I rather have someone who's mastered it do it for me.

I'm pretty satisfied of my decision

You can take a look at the functions I loaded on my 1M here:
- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...tNVFCUEE#gid=1
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #98
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

I bought the same cable as DSCPLN and tried it for the first time last night. It comes with no instructions or software so I just plugged it up and tried the DIY 80+ step exercise. I got no "black circles" in INPA, the first opportunity to see the car and computer connect. I am pretty sure, after reviewing files at the onestopelectronics website that I should have installed a "VSP" driver for the cable. I plan to try that tonight.

My observation is that while people are being generous and providing us useful information they are not describing ALL the things they did to make this work. The cable has a digital to serial converter in it and the driver tells the computer what sort of signals are going to come in over it. I've spent hours looking at the "beginners lounge" at the other website and saw nothing on any of this. I suspect this will be first of several frustrations in this process but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

I can afford to pay people to do this but prefer to do things myself. I'm not trying to be critical, just saying what my plans are.

Jim
      06-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #99
tawheed
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Kind of OT but does the software allow you to view what software version is currently installed on the car?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #100
christopherkriens
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Coupé

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [8.62]
Quote:
I am pretty sure, after reviewing files at the onestopelectronics website that I should have installed a "VSP" driver for the cable.
This was a necessary step for me too. The driver that worked for my cable was here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
      06-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #101
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks Christopher. I got the black circles in INPA now. I installed the driver, switched an existing port off Com 1 so I could put this one on Com 1 and switched a bunch of settings as recommended in page 4 of the 6 page INPA errors posting on the other website. The driver by itself didn't work. Getting the COM to 1 might have but I did the other stuff before testing.

But now when I try the next step in the DIY of pushing F9 INPA does nothing. F1 gives me half a page of information but lots of ????????? at the bottom. F2 gives me an error talking about not finding "script.eng" in subdirectory "cfgdat" to INPA\BIN. I don't have that subdirectory and I can't find that file either.

I'm using the software you posted a link to at post 81 of this thread (thanks). My computer doesn't want to go to the "Rapidshare" website. When I forced it to anyway I got a sales pitch and nothing to download unless I accepted the software. But your software link worked fine for me. But the software doesn't seem to.

Did you do anything else? Other ideas? I may skip the INPA steps and try NCSEXPERT tonight but I'd like INPA to work too.

Jim
      06-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #102
christopherkriens
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Coupé

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [8.62]
Quote:
Thanks Christopher. I got the black circles in INPA now.
I was told that this is all you need to move on; once you have the filled circles everything should be set up correctly. (The next few DIY steps didn't really do anything for me either)
      06-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #103
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

I skipped over the steps in the DIY that wouldn't work and went to NCSExpert last night and successfully coded a few things!!!! I still have not achieved the biggest thing I want to - MikeinAlexandrias top down with the key fob trick. But my other biggie was to get rid of the silly "speed correction". I also added the digital speed indication option to the instrument area (you can toggle between average mpg, instantaneous mpg, miles remaining on this tank, other things I can't remember, and now digital speed). These are all in Kombi (BC_v_korrektur is analog speed correction, BC_digital_v_Korrektur is digital speed "correction" and bc_digital_v is the digital speed indication).

I am finding coding time consuming and a bit frustrating at times but also interesting. It's nice to be able to "fix" things that I think should have been done differently by BMW. What I've accomplished so far doesn't really justify the cable purchase but it is also key to being able to reset for a new battery which will more than justify the cable. And I still have more coding to do before then.

I think nearly anybody can do this but you have to be willing to check and double check everything when it doesn't go right. And you have to be willing to poke around to get information. There isn't anybody putting it all together for you - although the diy is a BIG step in that direction. After you get the car and computer connected, steps 50 to 84 of the diy are a very clear explanation of coding. You need to substitute the area you want to work on for "CAS" in the DIY (like Kombi for the speed stuff above) and the specific things you want to tweak for "BC_DIGITAL_V" in the diy but that is very simple to me. The nice thing is to have a complete step by step for which buttons to push and which commands to give. There are screen shots at several steps which really added confidence for me that I was on the right path.

Jim
      06-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #104
peepsdayz
driver
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepsdayz
I cant get it to work... THIS is the cable im using, once i plug it in the OBD port the amber light comes on (not green as i thought is should)

INPA 5.0.2 shows the 2 black dots but once i try to pull some info it gives me a communication error and NCS Expert 3.0.8 cant communicate with my car (vin faulty error)

can you guys please check of your OBD port looks like mine? i only see 6 female pins. thanks

Anyone please?
      06-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #105
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepsdayz View Post
Anyone please?
peepsdayz,

I can only make a few comments, I am unfamilar with your cable. The things I would double check are:

1) do you have the driver installed (it appears you do). It should have come with or be available through your cable provider. If you have no driver, you could try the one from the onestopelectronics website.

2) you need to set your cable up as COM1 (appears you have probably done) and go into device manager (you get there different ways depending on your operating system) and make sure "use fifo buffers" is marked and receive and transmit buffers are both set to 8. YOu will see these under the advanced tab for the com port for your cable. You will not see the cable in device manager unless it is plugged into the computer (doesn't matter if its plugged into the car). You can figure out which port it is by just plugging and unplugging it and looking to see a port appear and disappear. If a port doesn't appear and disappear then the driver isn't working or the cable isn't. There is also a setting I forget at the bottom of the advanced dialogue page where the buffers are that has to be set to "1", it started as 16 if I remember right.

3) If that doesn't work, I would look at a long post on the b m w c o d i n g website in the beginners section for INPA errors. On page 4 there is a long post with a bunch of setting to check and potentially change. I did those things and mine worked.

If none of that fixes this my guess is you just wasted money trying to save money - your cable doesn't work. I hope that is not the case. The cable from onestopelectronics is expensive but the price didn't seem as bad once I understood it has a serial to digital converter built in. Good Luck.

Jim
      07-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #106
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

I got the top to open with the key fob today. Mike in Alexandria posted the key thing, changing CVM criteria KOMFORT_BEDIENUNG_E88_C05 to wert_02. I don't know how he found that but it by itself didn't allow mine to open with the fob. Today I was messing around with NCSdummy and found KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB in CAS which I set to activ and it works!!!!!! Mike found the key change, the one I found was much more obvious.

So now I have the top going down and the windows opening with the key fob, the windows going up with the close the top console button, the digital speed indication, and the corrections for the speedometer, digital and analog, turned off. Pretty good for me in less than a week.

Jim
      07-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #107
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

I added the doors unlock when you pull out the key Monday. I thought I could get the doors locking with a coding change but that didn't work. The unlock coding also doesn't work unless you autolock. So I used the turn signal stalk to set the car to lock itself when I get to about 10mph and now the auto-unlock works. I did not want the car locking itself until I could also get it to auto unlock. It works now.

Now if I could just get the analog speedometer to read the ture speed (I removed the correction but it still reads fast) and the top to go back up with the keyfob, my current list would be done (but then I'll hear of something else I like). I have things to try for both - just need the time to try it.

Jim
      07-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #108
solihul
Rep
Drives: 330d

Hi, I have read through this thread and am interested in coding out the Adaptive Headlight Failure warning on my 1 series, I have a lead but am not sure where to start or whether it is even possible, does anyone know if this is possible,
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #109
phrenetiK
Banned
Rep

has anyone succeeded in upping stock angel eye voltage or disabling the adaptive warnings?

i can get to the part where i see $524 but i have no idea how to save the delete on it after i press the delete key.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #110
phrenetiK
Banned
Rep

I figured them both out!

also after 3 hours i figured out how to code the CIC idrive video in motion on a 2011 M3 tonight. pm me if you need help with any of these i'll respond within a day!
Appreciate 0