BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #45
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Yep i have seen your ROLEX it is a big clock
What can I say? I'm well sprung.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 03:21 AM   #46
kmli5
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRX View Post
I noticed that. I'm looking second hand. And red! Although the white dead sexy.
Mine is actually white with the red frame.
      11-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #47
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Had heaps of bikes and eventually got a Harley to find out what all the fuss is about. Sold it still wondering. No brakes, no suspension, no go, everything made of rustanium and a chassis as loose as a Kings Cross hooker.

It had foot boards, or whatever they're called; that's like buying a new car with an external lever handbrake and flip up blinkers. You leave your signature on every roundabout with them.

Like Kenny, no more riding for me as I reckon I've used up my luck as well, though I won't let my Honda RC30 go. It's in the museum.

Last edited by gazz; 11-08-2012 at 04:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #48
Ninjaoz
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E39 540i, E90 320d,F15 30d

Garage List
2011 BMW 320d  [10.00]
Quote:
And Vinn the little Kawasaki is a gem you will love it,
you reckon? how does the new 300 ninja compared with the old GPX? i dont think power is that important for a beginner rider...they most important thing your techniques, riding positions, throttle control, look ahead and think everyone is trying to kill you on the road. etc etc
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #49
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Had heaps of bikes and eventually got a Harley to find out what all the fuss is about. Sold it still wondering. No brakes, no suspension, no go, everything made of rustanium and a chassis as loose as a Kings Cross hooker.

It had foot boards, or whatever they're called; that's like buying a new car with an external lever handbrake and flip up blinkers. You leave your signature on every roundabout with them.

Like Kenny, no more riding for me as I reckon I've used up my luck as well, though I won't let my Honda RC30 go. It's in the museum.
Yep thats what they are like, each to there own.
I to have a rumpus room with a collector bike its a Suzuki RE5 i have owned since 1976 done 3000km they were such a shit box but interesting.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #50
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
I never say never ... :-)

I reckon I survived my motocycle days, I kinda feel like I used up all my luck. Not sure I'll get another bike. But if I did I'd get another litre Ducati and really REALLY tight leathers and just ride to my local cafe once a week and swagger around like I've got a really big cock. Then ride home.
You'll be one of many weekend worriers, strutting around in a power-ranger suit. Just enjoying the shit out of doing what you want, 'cause you want. A growing collection of birthdays has it's advantages

Quote:

You'll both be back - it's an adiction that can't be treated. I stayed away for 30 years, but it eventually got me -- and loving it all over again, even if I am a bit more "sensible"
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #51
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I to have a rumpus room with a collector bike its a Suzuki RE5 i have owned since 1976 done 3000km they were such a shit box but interesting.
Love it! Bikes in the 70's were so bad campared to todays bikes. I had a Kawasaki Z1B 900. Stupidest piece of machinery ever built - a genuine point and shoot weapon. Went like stink, didn't stop and didn't handle - you could feel the frame flexing under you.

But I wish I still had it, just for sentimental reasons. I also wish i still had my Norton 850 Commando, just for financial reasons (and sentimental)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #52
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Mines a bit more than a rumpus room.

Interesting indeed. Collect all three - yours, the DKW and the Norton.

[QUOTE=bfi2906;12964306 You'll both be back - it's an adiction that can't be treated. I stayed away for 30 years, but it eventually got me -- and loving it all over again, even if I am a bit more "sensible"[/QUOTE]

Nah mate. Had several comebacks and the last one was it. I'd be on a bike right now if there weren't any cars on the road. The fear eventually got to me. The constant dread that one day I'd be taken out by some punk with his cap on backwards in his WRX sideways around a blind corner on my side of the road. Or some old blind biddy simply pulls out in front of me at an intersection. Or a hundred other similar scenarios. It like Russian roulette except there are more bullets in the gun.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #53
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Interesting indeed. Collect all three - yours, the DKW and the Norton.

Nah mate. Had several comebacks and the last one was it. I'd be on a bike right now if there weren't any cars on the road. The fear eventually got to me. The constant dread that one day some punk with his cap on backwards sideways around a blind corner on my side of the road would take me out. Or some old blind biddy simply pulls out in front of me at an intersection. Or a hundred other similar scenarios. It like Russian roulette except there are more bullets in the gun.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #54
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

I know you are all correct touch wood i have been OK so far, well its at least 30 years since i dropped my Kawasaki H2. Now its slow and steady and full sunshine only.
Once every couple of weeks or so off i go with a few mates great fun but still dangerous. Your always 100 meters up the road watching out for L or P platers or even worse My mum or dad.

But its all worth it, i have had bikes since 1970 sometimes five or seex { i am a Kiwi } at the same time i will never give it up so long as i can still cock my leg over the seat i will continue to ride bikes
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #55
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
You guys aren't painting a positive picture regarding riding motorbikes. I've been flip-flopping regarding my license, as "staying alive" in generally a prerequisite is most things I get involved with. I notice quite a lot of ignorance on the roads when on my pushie but I'd imagine it's magnified when you're out in the middle of the road with the cars.
      11-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #56
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You guys aren't painting a positive picture regarding riding motorbikes. I've been flip-flopping regarding my license, as "staying alive" in generally a prerequisite is most things I get involved with. I notice quite a lot of ignorance on the roads when on my pushie but I'd imagine it's magnified when you're out in the middle of the road with the cars.
Smart.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #57
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Pushies are worse! Had more dangerous moments during training on a pushbike than I ever did on a motorcycle. Only a mountain bike these days.

Still, I wouldn't take any of it back because I learnt so much. Sure the statistics for motorcyclists are atrocious, and I know it's a der comment, but the subset of motorcyclists who are reckless and untrained would contribute overwhelmingly to the stats for injury and fatality.

So Vinnie, don't be put off, get some training and use your loaf while you're on the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #58
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Hey guys, thanks for the advice and I really appreciate it but it sounds like some people think I may having doubts or undecided about riding which is not true at all. If anything, I'm stoked with my decision and hope some of the enthusiasts that don't ride will experience this too, even if it only means doing the riding course.

I made the decision to start riding a couple months ago, hence why I did my Q Ride, got my licence and bought a bike. I've got my helmet and the rest of my leathers will be here soon. There's no going back for me and I'm glad I made the jump to 2 wheels because they really are lot of fun.

Before I embark on anything new I do a ton of research, most of this stuff I've heard before from others, at Q ride and on various bike forums but it's always good to hear it again. I didn't throw myself in the deep end without having a good idea of what I was getting into. The one thing I don't have which will come with time is experience.

Craig - the best advice I can give is ATGATT (ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME). Buy the best gear you can afford. If you can afford a $400 helmet that's fine. But if you can afford a $600 helmet and you buy a $400 helmet, I think that's the wrong attitude considering the risks involved with riding. At the end of the day, it's protecting your head. Same goes for leathers. Most of the high end leather jackets comes with built in shoulder and elbow protection which is CE rated. Most come with built in back protectors but they are not always CE rated, so you can buy replacement back protectors which will protect your back. I recommend helmet, jacket, back protector, gloves, pants and boots. Buy gear that fits you will and gear that you like, I think I did more research on the gear than the bike itself! If you don't like it, you won't wear it. It's not IF you fall off but a case of WHEN you fall off, best to be as prepared as possible.

If the bike is your daily, you will increase your chance of having an off as you're exposing yourself more often. If you keep it as a weekend toy or a few days a week, you will minimise the risk straight away. Basically, the more you put yourself out there, I think it's a matter of time. Unfortunately, the sad thing about riding is you could be the most experienced and competent rider but any cager can take you out at any time which is why ATGATT. Having the right gear will minimise injury.

The reality is riding a bike is dangerous, there's no denying it. Just prepare yourself as best you can, do the training courses (they are excellent and I can point you in the right direction if need), get in a lot of practice, buy yourself a decent bike and decent gear and use your common-sense. There's not much else you can do.

The guys have pretty much covered all other bases really well, awareness is a big component and to ride defensively.

Anyways, now thats behind, just go out and have FUN!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #59
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Craig - the best advice I can give is ATGATT (ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME). Buy the best gear you can afford. If you can afford a $400 helmet that's fine. But if you can afford a $600 helmet and you buy a $400 helmet, I think that's the wrong attitude considering the risks involved with riding. At the end of the day, it's protecting your head. Same goes for leathers. Most of the high end leather jackets comes with built in shoulder and elbow protection which is CE rated. Most come with built in back protectors but they are not always CE rated, so you can buy replacement back protectors which will protect your back. I recommend helmet, jacket, back protector, gloves, pants and boots. Buy gear that fits you will and gear that you like, I think I did more research on the gear than the bike itself! If you don't like it, you won't wear it. It's not IF you fall off but a case of WHEN you fall off, best to be as prepared as possible.
There's a saying that's been around longer than I can remember - and that's a VERY long time - "You dress for the crash, not for the ride". That pretty much says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Unfortunately, the sad thing about riding is you could be the most experienced and competent rider but any cager can take you out at any time which is why ATGATT. Having the right gear will minimise injury.
You also need to be very aware of other bikes - especially around popular "weekend worrier" spots.

Recently, I was coming home along the "Old Pacific Highway", just north of Cowan, minding my own business. There were plenty of other bikes out, so I had my "game-face" on. I was heading south - came to a right-hand sweeper - great piece of road, great surface, good camber, good visibility etc, etc - I was on the outside radius of the curve - I'd just tipped it in to my right, and I see this idiot going the other way, knee down, hanging off the seat - waaayyy too quick for the circumstances - I backed off a bit (not good having already committed to a line and angle) - and then, here he comes - spearing straight across my side of the road, and into the weeds on my left. - we missed by about 10ft, and that had nothing to do with his or my abaility - pure luck we didn't hit. All I had time to do was react and tip in harder, so I went inside him - which caused me onto the wrong side of the road - luckily nothing else was coming.

How'd it happen, All I can think is he over-rated his ability, so went in too fast. Something caused him to straighted up, so he went straight ahead, and onto my side of the road.

At the speed we were both doing, it wouldn't have been pretty if we'd come together.

Moral of the story - expect the unexpected. If you do that, you'll, give yourself a margin for safety that may make a difference, and as a result, you'll continue to have fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #60
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

You can't tell them, they have to work it out for themselves (if they live long enough).

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #61
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Was going for a drive on a twisty road over the weekend and had a biker overtaking his mate on the wrong side of the road coming out of a hairpin! Luckily I had looked across the hairpin before entering and pretty much came to a stop otherwise it could have been messy.
Some people seem to be in a rush to die.
Appreciate 0