BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

01-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #45
worries
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Jet Black

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
LUX is sending me a set of their newest lights for a comparo
Back on topic, OP how is that comparison going?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #46
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
What I dont get is why anyone would waste their time doing a product review for a company that they did not receive good customer service from.
Why do you care? Its my time, obviously I have the time to spend and dont mind it. Their service is a separate issue from their product. Im comparing products and im letting you know what the service was like. Its your choice where to spend your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worries View Post
Back on topic, OP how is that comparison going?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds82 View Post
Hi All, this is Marc from Lux Angel Eyes, just using my personal account here. A sample set of the LUX H8 V4 was mailed to Papethova and arrived just before new years. I'm sure everyone is waiting for a new comparison with this set.

Lights are in hand but I am 200+ miles from where the car is. Also, I have reached out to Dtec to see what product of theirs they want in the comparison. I dont want to hear I used an older version again. Both competitors have the opportunity to provide the product they want tested.

Hopefully this coming weekend I can have something up
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #47
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Quote:
Why do you care? Its my time, obviously I have the time to spend and dont mind it. Their service is a separate issue from their product. Im comparing products and im letting you know what the service was like. Its your choice where to spend your money.
Why do I care? For the same reason you wrote your post. Posting on this open forum effects the decision making of it's members. That is why you are now having your issues addressed by the manufacturer and why another vendor is trying to sway our decision making and the rest of the readers towards their product. Service IS NOT a separate issue from a companies product. Service is part of the product in both the way a company treats their customers and how they stand behind their product.

When I see a post like your original one I reposted below I can't believe you would waste your time doing a review. My thoughts are that if you truly received such a bad product and poor customer service that their is no way you would waste your time to do a review for that company or that you were overreacting.

I would like to know what qualifies you to do this review? Have you reviewed lights before? What equipment will you be using to test the luminance and the color accuracy of the bulbs? What are the criteria to test the build quality of the bulbs? Do you know the difference between the chips each manufacturer uses in their bulbs? Do you have the manufacturers spec sheet, bulb lifespan and warranty information?

There is more to a quality review than taking a couple of side by side pictures.
You are being played with this little fools errand for your silence.

Quote:
Plus none of that changes the fact that I received terrible service from them. Does it change that they offered me something and refused to deliver when they were supposed to? Does it change that they expected me to sell my old lights to purchase the new V4s? Does it change that they basically blew me off until they realized this was going to happen? How is it that after their competitor contacted me they started contacting me to correct the situation? Didnt seem to care when they thought I was just some customer that was gonna go away. The arrogant attitude didnt disappear until the shadow of this thread began to loom.
      01-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #48
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Why do I care? ...
It's a little harsh, but there's a lot of truth to all of what was written here. Thanks for having the balls to say it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #49
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Why do I care? For the same reason you wrote your post. Posting on this open forum effects the decision making of it's members. That is why you are now having your issues addressed by the manufacturer and why another vendor is trying to sway our decision making and the rest of the readers towards their product. Service IS NOT a separate issue from a companies product. Service is part of the product in both the way a company treats their customers and how they stand behind their product.

When I see a post like your original one I reposted below I can't believe you would waste your time doing a review. My thoughts are that if you truly received such a bad product and poor customer service that their is no way you would waste your time to do a review for that company or that you were overreacting.

I would like to know what qualifies you to do this review? Have you reviewed lights before? What equipment will you be using to test the luminance and the color accuracy of the bulbs? What are the criteria to test the build quality of the bulbs? Do you know the difference between the chips each manufacturer uses in their bulbs? Do you have the manufacturers spec sheet, bulb lifespan and warranty information?

There is more to a quality review than taking a couple of side by side pictures.
You are being played with this little fools errand for your silence.
How I spend my time is not your concern. Nor will I EVER be silenced. Obviously I have the $$ and time to spend on this. SO again... why do you care? If you want luminosity numbers theres a little box in the top right that you can type "luminosity" in and hit SEARCH. You dont have to read what I wrote. I did this for the masses that just want a product that works and along the way can save $30-40.

I was not overreacting. The product is separate from the service which is separate from the price. They all are part of the brand as a whole, but they are all separate issues. YOU weigh the three together and decide what you want to purchase in all aspects of your life. Some people only care about quality and will buy from anyone at any price, others care about price and will sacrifice the other two to some degree. Some people are loyal to someone due to service and dont question price. These are just 3 of the variables that go into the equation that has to make sense to you as a purchaser.

My issue with the service from LUX doesnt change and my comments here on that aspect of this experience will not waver. Can they have the shittiest service on the planet and still provide the best product? Obviously they can. Me doing this comparison is in fact to show that I am not biased against their product solely due to the arrogant attitude they have. Doesnt mean Id give them my $$. Furthermore, once I did this people wanted to point out I used an older version so I am willing to do it with their newest version. Maybe they have a better product, or maybe they have an equal or lesser product. Either way their product costs more and their service sucks.

Search these forums and see how many posts you see asking "which is the best angeleyes/fmic/exhaust/intake/etc/etc". No one is asking about luminosity, because most people here couldnt even define luminosity. Even more people dont care!!! They just want something that functions and lights up both halos.

My goal here wasnt to provide objective facts about the products. Anyone who wants to know those facts can access the manufacturers website or shoot them an email and get the specifications for the product. My goal was, as a user of both products, to provide feedback to the masses that ask which light is better. Most users/posters post I have xyz and this is my experience. Very few people can post I have abc and xyz and this is what I think. Do you want to purchase abc because you read a post from an abc user or do you want to purchase abc bc you read a post from someone who used abc and xyz?

I have 3 college degrees, one being a doctorate. I am not an electrical engineer, my BS is in Biochemistry. If youre so qualified to do electrical testing and luminosity tests feel free to contribute, but if youre not going to be doing it then STFU. This is what I can do and this is what I am willing to do. If it doesnt help you then I apologize but it will help the average "which is better" seeker.

Again, I have no horse in this race. I dont make a penny if a single pair of either lights are sold. I am not paid for an endorsement. I held both in my hands, I installed both on my car, I looked at them with my eyes. I can tell you which one flickers. I can tell you which one is brighter. I can tell you which one burnt out on me.

Tomorrow or next week if the Dtecs fail Ill be on here to post that they blew out and how quickly they were or were not replaced and my experiences with customer service at that point. Once I install the new version of the LUX I will be here to tell you if they are brighter or if they flicker. I already told you LUX was all talk and no action when I contacted them. They never kept their word with me so you decide who you want to give your dollars to. That doesnt mean I should or will trash their product. Ill repeat.... their service was the worst and their attitude was beyond arrogant. Only when I mentioned their competitor publicly did they start contacting me to remedy the situation and stop the bleeding. Im just adding to the information pool and frankly I think Ive added more than the generic one sided "I bought xyz here are pics I love these xyzs".

Anyone who wants to purchase lights may find this helpful in their decision making. The rest of you who want luminosity figures can contact the vendors or buy your own lights and post your findings.
Appreciate 1
519.E82245.00
      01-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #50
J-Rod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Quote:
How I spend my time is not your concern. Nor will I EVER be silenced. Obviously I have the $$ and time to spend on this. SO again... why do you care? If you want luminosity numbers theres a little box in the top right that you can type "luminosity" in and hit SEARCH. You dont have to read what I wrote. I did this for the masses that just want a product that works and along the way can save $30-40.

I was not overreacting. The product is separate from the service which is separate from the price. They all are part of the brand as a whole, but they are all separate issues. YOU weigh the three together and decide what you want to purchase in all aspects of your life. Some people only care about quality and will buy from anyone at any price, others care about price and will sacrifice the other two to some degree. Some people are loyal to someone due to service and dont question price. These are just 3 of the variables that go into the equation that has to make sense to you as a purchaser.

My issue with the service from LUX doesnt change and my comments here on that aspect of this experience will not waver. Can they have the shittiest service on the planet and still provide the best product? Obviously they can. Me doing this comparison is in fact to show that I am not biased against their product solely due to the arrogant attitude they have. Doesnt mean Id give them my $$. Furthermore, once I did this people wanted to point out I used an older version so I am willing to do it with their newest version. Maybe they have a better product, or maybe they have an equal or lesser product. Either way their product costs more and their service sucks.

Search these forums and see how many posts you see asking "which is the best angeleyes/fmic/exhaust/intake/etc/etc". No one is asking about luminosity, because most people here couldnt even define luminosity. Even more people dont care!!! They just want something that functions and lights up both halos.

My goal here wasnt to provide objective facts about the products. Anyone who wants to know those facts can access the manufacturers website or shoot them an email and get the specifications for the product. My goal was, as a user of both products, to provide feedback to the masses that ask which light is better. Most users/posters post I have xyz and this is my experience. Very few people can post I have abc and xyz and this is what I think. Do you want to purchase abc because you read a post from an abc user or do you want to purchase abc bc you read a post from someone who used abc and xyz?

I have 3 college degrees, one being a doctorate. I am not an electrical engineer, my BS is in Biochemistry. If youre so qualified to do electrical testing and luminosity tests feel free to contribute, but if youre not going to be doing it then STFU. This is what I can do and this is what I am willing to do. If it doesnt help you then I apologize but it will help the average "which is better" seeker.

Again, I have no horse in this race. I dont make a penny if a single pair of either lights are sold. I am not paid for an endorsement. I held both in my hands, I installed both on my car, I looked at them with my eyes. I can tell you which one flickers. I can tell you which one is brighter. I can tell you which one burnt out on me.

Tomorrow or next week if the Dtecs fail Ill be on here to post that they blew out and how quickly they were or were not replaced and my experiences with customer service at that point. Once I install the new version of the LUX I will be here to tell you if they are brighter or if they flicker. I already told you LUX was all talk and no action when I contacted them. They never kept their word with me so you decide who you want to give your dollars to. That doesnt mean I should or will trash their product. Ill repeat.... their service was the worst and their attitude was beyond arrogant. Only when I mentioned their competitor publicly did they start contacting me to remedy the situation and stop the bleeding. Im just adding to the information pool and frankly I think Ive added more than the generic one sided "I bought xyz here are pics I love these xyzs".

Anyone who wants to purchase lights may find this helpful in their decision making. The rest of you who want luminosity figures can contact the vendors or buy your own lights and post your findings.
except for the STFU part...but I guess you couldnt help it.
      01-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #51
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:

... and the lesson is: OEM FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #52
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
except for the STFU part...but I guess you couldnt help it.
STFU or GTFO you go @papethova
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #53
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
... and the lesson is: OEM FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ya we saw how OEM your lights were.

I did love those Alpines but that wouldnt be an apples to apples comparison in this case.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #54
SuperCNJ
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135i (N55)

Not sure why people are giving the OP such a hard time over this. The way I read the original post was that of good intentions to help/educate others. Agree that it’s not a fair comparison to compare new with old products, as the new product would inherently be better. However, some may want to know how much of an improvement a newer product is over an older one – particularly if a lot of people already have the old one. We do this all the time, we compare past generations of cars with the current model, past generations of phones with current ones, just to see the improvements. I don’t see any problem with that?

I don’t know the OP or anyone else on here but I would imagine the OP probably doesn’t have a huge range of H8 LED bulbs to compare against and is just simply using what he/she has available for comparison. I personally find these posts quite useful and appreciate the effort people put in to share info – which I guess is the whole point of a forum.

Back to topic though, I’m interested in these new bulbs but I’m not convinced the heatsink is sufficient for the LEDs to run continuously for long periods – especially in warmer climates. I’ve seen the ones with a fan but to be honest, it’ll probably have limited benefit given the light housing is sealed and the hot air has no where to escape plus the motor would generate heat itself.

There is a limit on how much light you can throw down the fibre optics as used in the angel eyes. Although I don’t think this limit has quite been reached with LEDs, I think to achieve incremental increases in light output with the current design, you’d have to put a lot more light into it first as a lot of the light will be lost in the system. But to do that with the current crop of LEDs, you would probably need to drive them higher than you’d want and thereby increasing the heat. I think what needs to be considered is introducing some optics or a reflector as part of the H8 bulb to harness and redirect the spill light from the emitters.

Having said that, the newer H8 LED bulbs as shown earlier seems to be using the more recent XBD emitters which has better thermal resistance and a tighter splay angle so should be noticeably better than the older XML emitters but not sure whether the alignment of two LEDs clustered together would be more efficient than one in feeding light to the fibre optic?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #55
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Since people complained so much I did this again with the newest version of the LUX (H8 V4) and the newest Dtecs (V9).

The new LUX lights are a vast improvement over the previous version in almost every way imaginable. The quality of materials and construction is at another level. They use a much heavier gauge wire and everything is shrink wrapped. You really cant compare the two or even believe they come from the same manufacturer. Although the rubber O-ring is still just glued/siliconed on and the one on my previous set was coming apart.

In comparison to the old Dtec V7s the quality of construction is better on the new LUX but the level of brightness from the lights once installed is pretty much identical. The only real difference visually is that since the LUX is adjustable in temperature it has blue patches of light that are evident from certain angles. The blue patchiness increases in size/intensity up the temperature scale as the light goes more blue versus white. If I wanted a certain temperature I would just purchase lights of that temperature. This adjustable thing doesnt seem to emit a uniform color of one temperature. Had I done the initial comparison with these LUX V4 lights I still would have chosen the V7s because they cost less and have a more uniform color. The flickering issue that plagued the earlier LUX has finally been resolved. There was no flickering even on video.

The Dtec V9s are similar to the older Dtecs in terms of wire gauge and quality of construction. The LUX has really stepped it up here and theyre ahead of even the V9s in terms of materials now. Again, the Dtecs have figured out a better way to design the heat sink to actually hold the rubber seal instead of just gluing it on. The most obvious thing you notice though is the size of the LEDs on the V9s are huge. You can see in the pictures its a drastic difference between the V9s and the LUX V4s. These V9s are noticeably brighter than the older V7, and the LUX are now comparable to the old V7.

In the end I chose to install and keep the V9s on my car because they simply looked the best. I think the LUX are $225 plus shipping on their site and the Dtec V9s on this forum I am told are $185 shipped. If you swapped the price tags I actually would pay more to have the V9s.

There were 2 other people there when I installed and compared the LUX with the Dtec V7 and V9s. They dont know these brands, they didnt know the prices, they didnt know which set was which, they simply walked over and looked at each set lit up on my car and in the end held them in their hands. Both of these people agreed with me on all points and they too said they would choose to install the V9s over the other two options. In fact one of the guys asked if he could have my old V7s for one of his BMWs. He chose these over the LUX V4s on his own accord. I didnt offer either to him. He asked me what I was going to do with the sets I wasnt installing and if he could have the V7s. Theyre now on his wife's E93 M3.

I dont want to hear again about apples to apples... I would choose the V7s over the LUX, and I did choose the V9s over the LUX. Factor in the higher cost and to me its a no brainer.

I left the customer service or lack thereof from LUX out of this and I didnt mention it to the 2 individuals who were present when I was doing this. Again, I am not affiliated with the manufacturers or vendors of these products. I dont get any incentive over which you choose to buy. I installed all 3 (4 if you count the old LUX), I turned them on, looked at my car and picked the ones I liked best for the reasons stated. Ive been more than fair to LUX and if they hadnt been such assholes it never even would have come to this.

FYI none of these pictures were edited in any way other than being cropped for size, adding the text, and sticking the two side by side. Id also like to state that the pics dont accurately capture what you see in person with the naked eye. Of the dozens of pictures we took I tried to choose pictures that were best representative of what we were seeing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #56
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Thanks for the pics. One comment on the post itself, the format is all messed up and the text runs across the screen seemingly indefinitely. Makes it hard to read.

Do you have any side by side pictures of the ballasts? The heat sink shape on the DTEC V9 is interesting.

Also interesting that the DTEC V9 appears to match the color of the eyebrow LEDs better and also appears to be brighter than the comparable LUX option. Are the DTECs color adjustable?

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 02-02-2014 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: weird typo
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #57
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Thanks for getting around to post up the review. But I don't understand one thing.

The V8 DTEC is the latest one out there, which is color adjustable. As an aside, a member who has them PM'd me a month ago saying they flicker.

I didn't think V9's existed. Can you post a link to it?

These are the V8's:

http://www.e92-lighting.com/bmw-ange...angel-eye-64w/

Last edited by Glowin; 02-03-2014 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Added V8 pic
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #58
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

I'm also curious
      02-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #59
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

thanks for the awesome shots and unbiased review!, in regards to the DTEC V9's it will be posted online in a couple of business days, we are fine tuning one last bit before its officially released, and none of our DTEC angel eyes flicker at all
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #60
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Am I the only one who finds it funny / odd that he has done a review on a product that's not even in the market yet, which he got his hands on a month before their expected release?

You should have asked Lux if they had their V5 prototype to send you then.

LOL...

Last edited by Glowin; 02-04-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #61
SuperCNJ
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135i (N55)

Thanks for the review... the dtecs look great. Any idea what LEDs the V9s are using? I've not seen them before?
      02-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #62
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Am I the only one who finds it funny / odd that he has done a review on a product that's not even in the market yet, which he got his hands on a month before their expected release?
You should have asked Lux if they had their V5 prototype to send you then.
LOL...
If you had bothered to read through the thread, you'd see that Marc from Lux sent him their newest build for the comparison.

Quote:
Hi All, this is Marc from Lux Angel Eyes, just using my personal account here. A sample set of the LUX H8 V4 was mailed to Papethova and arrived just before new years. I'm sure everyone is waiting for a new comparison with this set.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #63
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
If you had bothered to read through the thread, you'd see that Marc from Lux sent him their newest build for the comparison.
Actually, not only have I read the whole thing, I've been following it all the way.

If you had, on the other hand, put some effort into reading my post, you'd have followed my logic:

He got V9 DTEC's - which are not still available for sale publicly - and he's comparing them to the current version of Lux lights that have been available for sale for 9 months - the V4's.

If you can't see how that's not an apples to apples comparison, I can't help you.
The other big thing missing from his latest review - and he may have checked it, but didn't document it - is whether the DTEC's dim when you turn on the lights.

The Lux lights don't, as everyone knows.

Since he's not taken any comparison pics of the AE's with the lights on, it's not possible to figure that out either, so when he returns, he can tell us I guess and edit his review to add that.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #64
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

DTEC V9's posted online now

none of our DTEC angel eyes dim when the headlights are on, they stay at 100% brightness in all setting/modes. angel eyes dimming is a case of "voltage drop", which we fixed many years ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 03:28 AM   #65
Acheron83
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
If you had, on the other hand, put some effort into reading my post, you'd have followed my logic:

He got V9 DTEC's - which are not still available for sale publicly - and he's comparing them to the current version of Lux lights that have been available for sale for 9 months - the V4's.

If you can't see how that's not an apples to apples comparison, I can't help you.
What are you bitching about? It was made clear a while back that the V9s were facing an imminent release pending some final testing. The post above has just confirmed their release.

If LUX had a product in the same phase of development, i.e. about to hit the market, then yes that would be a slightly more "fair" comparison. That was not the case here.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #66
Papethova
Banned
Rep

I asked both camps to send me what they wanted me to test. Their most current product. I used what was sent to me from the respective companies.

There is no green or yellow on my screen and in person they look even better than the pics show. That goes for both the LUX and the Dtecs, the pics arent representative of what you see in person.

Im sick of the bitching and continual questioning. There was no ulterior motive. Nothing was staged, altered, or edited. I plugged the things in looked at them and took some pics. Anyone who has doubts can purchase both sets and try them for themselves. Your taste and/or opinions may vary, but this is what the 3 people present thought/felt/saw. I did this to help those on the fence to go one way or the other.
Appreciate 2
Closed Thread