BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

er chargepipe with tial bov

ever since i installed the charepipe with the bov, there is a whistling sound when you start the car that goes away eventually. also under acceleration the car tends to make that same whistling sound. my question is, is this normal having the chargepipe and tial bov?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Yes.
      05-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Mine is more of rushing/roaring sound, but it occurs at the same time yours does. Same sound happens under partial throttle conditions sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Would you say that this is a good sounding sound?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Not sure I'd go that far, but the improved responsive is nice. Definitely a deviation from OE refinement. Whether that's a pro or a con is personal preference. I'm keeping it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I have the ER with factory dv kit and it makes the same noise of stock car with clearly better throttle response, I like it like this.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

what is the difference between the diverter valve kit and bov? still concerned about this sound. only started since i installed the chargepipe with bov.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayzay View Post
what is the difference between the diverter valve kit and bov? still concerned about this sound. only started since i installed the chargepipe with bov.
You could install the charge pipe using the stock diverter valves instead of a bov attached to it if that noise is bothering you since it definitely comes from bov, not from the pipe itself. Anything other than stock dv have their pros and cons, some like them some don't so it comes down to personal preference, especially so if you don't have engine tuning and you run stock boost levels. In short the charge pipe itself makes no difference in noise, not to my ears.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
///1M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
I have the ER with factory dv kit and it makes the same noise of stock car with clearly better throttle response, I like it like this.
Oz- am I reading correctly that you only installed the ER charge pipe?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

normal, i believe, mine is on shipment with stock blowoff,.. excited.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Yes, just the charge pipe and noise seems exactly same to me, I used the factory dv with ER, works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
///1M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Quote:
Yes, just the charge pipe and noise seems exactly same to me, I used the factory dv with ER, works just fine.

Cool. Given the improved throttle response and no apparent downsides, this seems to be a virtually no-risk upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Given the improved throttle response and no apparent downsides, this seems to be a virtually no-risk upgrade.
Exactly, unless you have an issue in the engine compartment and your car is still under warranty, dealers won't like the presence of an aftermarket charge pipe, but you can take it out for those dealer visits.

The only issue is this ER piece needs to be installed good, which is a real PITA. Better some natural handy man makes it, I monitored the installation closely and it doesn't fit good easily, it needs a lot of effort. If you make it just 80 or 90 % good install then it will pop as easy as the stock if not easier, which is counterproductive.

By the way, ZAYZAY, interestingly I've just met a guy earlier today at a car meet in Santiago who happens to have another VO 1M along with a S2000 and a new GT-R. He was the second owner of his 1M and told me that he has an issue so we went to his house in my 1M where his 1M was parked, and it was the tial bov making the notorious sound, plus his car was idling weirdly and the Akra exhaust was repeating the same arrhytmia, and we noticed that typical ticking sound was much more audible in his car so I thought there may be every other kind of issues with that car and better read the fault codes first. He said that first owner installed a tune then took it back when he bought the car, he didn't know what tune was it. We listened two 1Ms side by side one with ER but stock dv and other with another brand (don't remember which and it was not familiar to me), made of cheap looking plastic like stock but with a bov kit on it. He said that now he knows that the bothering sound and arrhytmia has nothing to do with stock car or a car with different mods like mine. Also, I showed him that his car was idling visibly lower than mine ever did (max at 600 with cold engine, where mine would be around 800 both stock and after some relatively modest mods I did).

EDIT: Forgot to write yesterday, this other 1M had HPFP issue too. The new owner could not enjoy warranty because the dealer detected engine mods.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 05-26-2013 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0