United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

12/02/2011 EPIC 1M x 5 PCD extravaganza

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
HERE WE GO!!

first batch of pics are up!!!

I'm not going to rehash a lot of the amazing information 1M owners have already provided regarding PCD, except to reiterate everything they said. It is an AMAZING experience. From the VIP treatment at the Marriott to the track time with the instructors and the factory tour, the Performance Center Delivery is something that MUST be experienced by every BMW fan.

What made the experience especially unique for me was meeting so many of the forum members (Poppy4, Sabre89, sergeremi, Venator78) and spending the day in their company. It basically felt like a BMW sponsored 1M meet! We are 90% sure that we will form a '12/2 PCD' group and try to meet up as frequently as we can. Yes, we are going to be 'those guys'.

So, without further ramblings from me, here are the pics (with fixed links):

Greenville Marriott, our home for the previous evening is one of the nicer Marriotts I've stayed in. There was some kind of charity event going on that evening so when my brother and I rolled in after fighting construction traffic on I-85, we definitely felt out of place among the tuxedos and evening gowns. Cameras were still packed, so unfortunately I have no pics of all the good looking socialites. But here is a pic of the Marriott the next morning as I was waiting for the Shuttle to PC.

After everyone checks in, you are taken to one of the classrooms in the back where the instructors introduce themselves and Donnie Isley gives his intro to the group. Here's Donnie giving us the pep talk:

We were a bit distracted because we could see out the windows and watch our test cars being prepped. I had never seen so many 1M's in one place (until later that day!) My brother and I lucked out and got the AW 1M with the BMW racing stripes. That's a hot looking piece:

After the groups were broken up, we headed to the track. First up, ABS demonstration and practice; AKA, stomp that pedal to the floor! I was too gentle the first couple of times and Donnie was getting on my case. Sabre89, on the other hand, was driving like he stole that 1M. Teachers pet . Here's Sabre coming back from breaking run as Poppy4 zips off for his next:

1M's everywhere! Taken from the AW with Donnie's E90 335 at the front:

Next up, track time in the 1M. The car is phenomenal. We weren't allowed to turn DSC off and I forgot to press the 'M' button, but honestly, this car is simply amazing as is. It's like a nice Belgian beer: Strong, sweet with an excellent finish! I had the line wrong in this shot, but got better as I got more comfortable with the car. The clutch in our car seemed to be ready for replacement. Donnie told us that they were already on their second clutch on all the 1Ms!

1M draws the Paparazzi like ants to a picnic

Hot laps in M5's!

As we walked out from lunch (thank you PC, it was delicious!), we got to see Ventor's 1M being backed into the PC lobby. This was the lone VO being delivered that day. If a stranger had walked up that day, they would have thought that black 1Ms were as common as Camrys!

After lunch, we got to do some off roading in the X5s. I'm not the biggest fan of SUVs but this made me wonder what a X5M would be like on that course!

Don't try this in your 1M:

Next up, we lined up to drive our cars over to the factory and Zentrum. The factory tour is mind-blowing. Even for someone who has worked in technology for 10+ years and watches a lot of discovery and history channels, seeing those robots in their synchronized ballets is pretty special. Their Just In Time inventory system is extremely impressive as well. Makes you wonder how much more anal the German factories must be. Leipzig, where our 1Ms were born, is the newest BMW factory (I think). I can't imagine how it must be like.

Unfortunately, our camera gear was confiscated by the Zentrum Popo. All I got is this:

We rushed back to PC after the factory tour because we wanted to catch sergeremi before he took off so that we could take the Oreo shot. We were too late to catch the car uncovered, but even covered in painter's tape, that 1M is a looker.

Oreo!

I'm working on the full group shots later today. One more message to follow!

Alright folks. Hope you like 1M's and pictures of people with massive grins plastered on their faces because part 2 of the 12/2 PCD experience is here!

Here's my brother about to get into the AW performance center 1M for his track time. He flew in for 2 days from Cali to join me. Thanks 'little' bro!:

1M's on the track. Ducklings in a row:

Willie from the Performance Center holding my keys. She did a fantastic job going over every single detail of the 1M with me inspite of my ADD tendencies to jump all over the place. Thanks Willie!

4 Miles on delivery and the average speed was 8.6. Pretty sure no one tried to 'break-in' my car for me.

Getting to the good stuff. 4x1Ms in the afternoon sun. From the far side: Venator78's VO, b33g33's BSM, sergeremi's AW, Poppy4's BSM

The view from the VO side:

Trying to cover all possible angles here:

Finally, we managed to herd everyone together and get the 1Ms lined up for the money shot. From left to right: Venator78, b33g33, sergeremi, Poppy4 and Sabre89:

Obligatory VO & BSM shot:

It's a little known fact that BSM and AW owners prefer blue painter's tape while VO owners prefer trakktape. You read it here first folks and I have pictorial evidence to prove it:

The light was just starting to get perfect for pics, but we had to return the rental and get back to Atlanta. Reluctant final shot of my little beast:

Our parting image of the PC was this AW 1M waiting for it's owner to take delivery on Monday (tomorrow!). If you're on the boards, they were taking good care of it.

One last memento from PCD. My brother found a scuffed and worn roundel on the track and very generously gifted it to me. I think I have a new Avatar pic!

Cheers to everyone who participated in PCD with me. Thanks to everyone who commented on the thread. I'm extremely happy to be a part of this amazing community of enthusiasts.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Last edited by b33g33; 12-04-2011 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Updated title to remove placeholder. Spellcheck.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

lol, i was just about to start this thread, b33g33! Great minds Thanks for getting it started!

It’s always a special day when one of us takes delivery of our newly coveted 1M. It’s damn near an orgy when FIVE are had on the same day! I'm sure there will be more to come as we collect our thoughts and are able to steal away some time from driving and admiring our new preciouses.

Venator78, b33g33, sergeremi, Poppy4, Sabre89

12/2 - A day that will live in Awesomeness.
      12-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeremi View Post
Venator78, b33g33, sergeremi, Poppy4, Sabre89

12/2 - A day that will live in Awesomeness.
Love that quote! What blast. I'm still on an adrenaline high from the delivery and the drive back to Atlanta.

I was very careful about not hitting the dreaded 5500 RPM (although I might have tapped it when I grabbed second instead of fourth! ) but this car can get you in serious trouble well below 5500.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Congrats fellas! Happy driving!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I can't wait to see these pics, I was the solo 1M at my PCD, can't even imagine seeing 5!

Congrats on the deliveries!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

Congratulations guys! Enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

nice - 1M p0rn

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Congrats, I was solo on my PCD like Delrin
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Congrats to all five 1addicts members! Get some nice pics and writeup posted and we'll get this featured on the homepage.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Nice! Congrats guys! Welcome to the family!
      12-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
Poppy4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, E36 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Love that quote! What blast. I'm still on an adrenaline high from the delivery and the drive back to Atlanta.

I was very careful about not hitting the dreaded 5500 RPM (although I might have tapped it when I grabbed second instead of fourth! ) but this car can get you in serious trouble well below 5500.
I am one of the five and I couldn't have been more pleased with the PCD experience. It greatly exceeded my very high expectations!
I am still on the ride back and already I've had three gawkers and their remarks on how beautiful a car my BSM 1 M is. I feel very fortunate to being one of the few who were lucky enough to get one. And, to top it off, my wife, who happily participated in the PCD, stated today in her first drive my 1M that it is BETTER than my recently departed 1998 M3. Wow!
So I thank the other four participants in yesterday's "awesomeness". I just wish we could do it again.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

Congrats fellas !
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Sorry about the pics not showing yesterday guys. I was messing about with my flickr permissions and it fubared everything. I've added the pics again with more descriptions.

I'll post the group shots later today.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #14
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

b33g33, really, really great shots! So glad we had a couple of serious photographers to document the day! Can't wait to see more!

Oreos Rock!
      12-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #15
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Congrats to all! Perfect weather as well.
      12-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Congrats to all five 1addicts members! Get some nice pics and writeup posted and we'll get this featured on the homepage.
Thanks Jason. My pics are all up. I've PM'ed the other 4 if they have any more to add.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
Sabre89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM

Great write up! I really want to get an SLR now (been putting it off).

The car has been great so far. I had an outstanding ride back through the Appalachian mtns. I even hit some rain in Ohio. Made me almost want to slam on the breaks and perform the ABS breaking course from the PCD.

I'm still rounding up my pics. I'll post a few here and put an album together. I'll leave one for now.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #18
Sabre89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post

Funny you mentioned that. I did exactly the same thing (hitting 2nd while going for 4th). I quickly hit the clutch. Don't think it hurt too much though.

I also have forgot about the M button. Almost want to take it out right now and try it...

Last edited by Sabre89; 12-04-2011 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #19
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Sounds like a good time. I was the lone 1M on my PCD, but the other ppl were cool.

I must say a little part of me cried on the inside seeing that plate drilled into the front bumper of the black 1M.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #20
Poppy4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, E36 sold

Have not got much to add except I just got home, 700 mile trip, never hit 4500 rpm and no dings. ( did not tape ) The car performed perfectly. I will get some pics up tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #21
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
CONGRATS GUYS !

Great pics OP!

love the stripe

Last edited by Juiced1M; 12-04-2011 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #22
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Congrats enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0