BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2009, 04:00 AM   #23
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
This no actual Logic 7 option on the one series. People, including the dealers, still call the Hifi Professional "Logic 7" but it isn't really the same as the full Logic 7 in the 3 series & up.
I'm confused... That being the case, when I select Tone settings off the MY09 new iDrive system, I get a Surround option box to select rather than the words Logic 7 as shown in the manual. I paid for and according to the dealer who looked it up on the BMW system shows my car was built with the so-called Logic 7 option.

Do you other MY09 builds who got the Professional Logic 7 in Ozzie MY09 cars have the same option or does yours say Logic 7?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 04:03 AM   #24
FITZS
Rep
Drives: 135

Sparoz - good call on the upgrade. I personally don't listen to music when I'm driving - prefer the inline 6 symphony. My wife on the other hand always listens to something (usually AM radio) but if I'm in the car she'll turn it off. So we figured that we didn't need the upgraded stereo given the expense (the wife had to have heated seats and a sunroof) so I didn't go for the Professional HiFi package. Now I would normally be happy with this state of affairs, however, the car makes a constant quiet beeping noise (kinda sounds like a busy signal on the telephone) which is really only audible from the passenger seat and this drives my wife absolutely NUTS. So now I need to have the stereo on (we've come to a compromise because I find it extremely hard to tolerate AM radio so we listen to the iPod which is also not without its issues) whenever the wife is in the passenger seat and I have to admit that the standard stereo package is so lacking in bass that songs sound so different (read:much worse) to even my Bose computer speakers that it is driving me up the wall. I had expected better from BMW but as this is my first I guess I'll have to live and learn with that one.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 04:20 AM   #25
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITZS View Post
......the car makes a constant quiet beeping noise (kinda sounds like a busy signal on the telephone) which is really only audible from the passenger seat and this drives my wife absolutely NUTS.
That's interesting... I haven't heard it on my car and I often drive without the stereo on. Is the noise coming from the speakers or the engine?

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 04:41 AM   #26
FITZS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3syd View Post
That's interesting... I haven't heard it on my car and I often drive without the stereo on. Is the noise coming from the speakers or the engine?
I can't identify where it is coming from and when I took it back neither could the dealer. They admit that it is there but their suggestion was to drive with the stereo on which does drown out the noise - as I said it is really quiet.

Thanks for asking the question because I hadn't considered that the noise could be coming from the speakers because it is audible when the stereo is off.

I have a problem with the iPod cable (or at least I thought it was the problem) in that it crackles and the sound drops out at various speakers occasionally. At first I was using on old iPod so I thought that a new iPod was called for but it does the same thing with that and my wife's two other iPods. The reason I thought it was the cable is because if I pinch the cable or move the iPod (or do a multitude of other things) it can cause the crackling. We took it back to the parts people and they said that it couldn't be the $190 (yes, I live in WA) cable and that it was a problem with the stereo. This now makes me think that perhaps the beeping noise could also be from the stereo?? It is booked in tomorrow for the dealer to check it out thoroughly so hopefully there will be a fix for it and I won't have to listen to the average stereo any longer.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 04:50 AM   #27
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Yes although the stereo is off, I don't think it is actually powered off. It could be picking up some interference from somewhere and out putting it thru the speakers. These kind of 'electronic' sounds often have are interference origins. Try putting your ear to the speaker and see if you can hear if that is where it's coming from. Does the frequency or volume of the beeping vary with the engine RPM?

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 05:20 AM   #28
FITZS
Rep

The frequency doesn't seem to increase with engine RPM but it is hard to tell as it is drowned out by the time 1500RPM is achieved. The volume also doesn't seem to increase as it is drowned out pretty early on. Will definitely try to listen through the speakers to see if it can be pinpointed.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 05:57 AM   #29
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

There's no actual logic 7 - there's standard, Hi-Fi and Hi-Fi Professional. The Hi-Fi Professional, have a logic 7 simulation as the 1er hasn't got a central channel.

I have 1 car with standard, and 1 car with hi-fi professional and the hifi professional definitely is a step up from the HK in the E46 - they actually have proper speakers this time, rather than paper cone ones.

Still you can't compare it to a $2000 set of speakers or the Zeppeling at $1000. But hey - it's a car, the music is right in front of you.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 06:03 AM   #30
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITZS View Post
Sparoz - good call on the upgrade. I personally don't listen to music when I'm driving - prefer the inline 6 symphony. My wife on the other hand always listens to something (usually AM radio) but if I'm in the car she'll turn it off. So we figured that we didn't need the upgraded stereo given the expense (the wife had to have heated seats and a sunroof) so I didn't go for the Professional HiFi package. Now I would normally be happy with this state of affairs, however, the car makes a constant quiet beeping noise (kinda sounds like a busy signal on the telephone) which is really only audible from the passenger seat and this drives my wife absolutely NUTS. So now I need to have the stereo on (we've come to a compromise because I find it extremely hard to tolerate AM radio so we listen to the iPod which is also not without its issues) whenever the wife is in the passenger seat and I have to admit that the standard stereo package is so lacking in bass that songs sound so different (read:much worse) to even my Bose computer speakers that it is driving me up the wall. I had expected better from BMW but as this is my first I guess I'll have to live and learn with that one.
Well you should listen to their previous attempts - the standard is decent enough incomparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 06:06 AM   #31
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

I've got HiFi in mine (not the top level one, that would have put me over the stamp duty threshold in Vic, and cost me an extra $2k or so (!!))
My first quick impressions, in the <50k I've driven so far, is that the bass isn't as punchy as the HK in my old MINI, but it's a clean sounding system. Probably needs a bit of running in too.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #32
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep

I have to say the standard stereo in BMW is sh*thouse, comparable to what's in a 20K car, IMO. I will be upgrading mine soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 12:37 AM   #33
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw135fan View Post
I have to say the standard stereo in BMW is sh*thouse, comparable to what's in a 20K car, IMO. I will be upgrading mine soon.

LOL i'm sorry to hear that mate. unfortunately the aussie spec 135i's have a really weak sound system as opposed to the rest of the world. The $1k Hi-fi upgrade is actually standard on the US spec, and most US forum members seem to be pleased with "their" stock sound system. Coming from an e46 with the standard sound system i was determined not to go through that again. Sure aftermarket is cheaper and more powerful but i wasnt keen to go through that hassle and i prefer stock/oem look.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #34
Tj303
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
Probably needs a bit of running in too.
+1, i was quite disappointed in the sound on my Hifi 10 speaker when i first got it.. but within a week or 2 it definitely started sounding nicer and now i'm quite happy with it.
      11-20-2009, 04:55 AM   #35
pech135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

i have the standard 6 speaker system and find that it doesnt quite suffice, the z4 had much better sound... does anyone know if the system can be upgraded to professional hifiafter the car has been delivered?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 05:42 AM   #36
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
If it can, it wouldn't be worth it. For the money you would be much better off just getting some new front speakers, an amp and change the subs to 8" under the seats, or get a 10/12" sub for the boot.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #37
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...ble-08-E82E88/

It is still in development. As Clarkson says all the time... how hard can it be?
      11-20-2009, 06:08 AM   #38
pech135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

its the subs and tweeters which are lacking, i'll need to install the tweets in the section beside the rear mirrors which concerns me.

might buy the kit and have BMW install?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 06:48 AM   #39
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

the tweets and amp make a huge difference. One thing I found that most people do is to have too big a sub - which makes the sound less balanced.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #40
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

sparoz - what did you order?
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #41
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I have the prof hi fi packaged. One of my previous car has a 12" sub, but the car have no mid-low range. The system was untunable. On the contrary I hated the Harmon Kardon on the 318i, but that system was balanced.

The hifi pro is quite good compare to 318i. Just a little bit underpowered and the resolution is not as good for a 2k system - hey, but it's integrated. .

I always like alpine - but that was 10 years ago so things probably have changed a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #42
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

so you're not ordering a new car with new audio?
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #43
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
sparoz - what did you order?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
so you're not ordering a new car with new audio?
Now I am confused.
Appreciate 0