BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Walter_Sobchak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 135I

So is it me or...

...is the 135I not so capable of handling extra boost? Santa Claus brought me an AFE intake and a Cobb Accessport and after installing it I've been playing with the 93 octane map. AMAZING power, however it seems the stock boost management and plumbing doesn't seem up to snuff. Difficult to achieve consistent/smooth pulls and almost seems like it's surging. Is it me or is it the DTC, funky limited slip, RWD, or inadequate plumbing that makes it seem so rough in 2nd/3rd gear pulls? My only other boosted car was an STI and it seemed much more capable of handling added psi and put down power much smoother even factoring in the AWD.

Looking to see if my experience is typical, and your opinions.

By the way, my '07 STI with meth, down pipe, axle back, CAI, bigger intercooler, pro tune, under driven accessories and Cobb couldn't hold a candle to the 135 with the meager mods listed above. Very impressive from someone new to the 135. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Take a log using your AP and check to see how the boost curve is fluctuating.

Edit: coming from an STI myself, I found the EJ series motors much less confidence inspiring. Sure, forged pistons and a solid hone helps but for that sort of $$ you're up past 400/425 in one of these.

I think part of what you're feeling is the crazy long torque curve. The STI hits mid 3k and starts to taper at 5ish. The 135 hits on command and holds a little further, so there's more time to feel fluctuation.
      12-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
You're completely modifying the stock ECU maps. The car will never feel as smooth as a stock tune or PPK tune because that was done by BMW. All aftermarket tunes will make the car feel alot more aggressive. Has nothing to do with plumbing, of course fully turning off DTC would help and getting a proper LSD would allow the power to be put down better.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Are you sure you can run Aggressive maps?
ACN only goes up to 91 octane

You could just be losing traction, try launching at lower RPMs, my car's sweet spot was a bit above 2k revs(assuming you are driving a manual).

Give it a month of driving, you will be used to it after that. With all the extra power it is a little hard to dial down and you have to be a little more precise with your right foot.

As Cooler above me stated, it isn't nearly as smooth as a stock map because it's not what the car was built for, but play around with it for a bit and you will understand how to use the added boost.

Hope that helps,
Venom
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

mine's been fine, but i'm running dinan.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Only having access to 91 pump will make it difficult to run the sport or aggressive mapping, though I don't know if you are mixing in e85 or race gas...Generally speaking, the N54 has shown to be extremely flexible and willing when it comes to tuning. It's a pretty sensitive engine and will misfire if it's at all unhappy, but in the big picture I feel it handles tuning very well. The power does get a bit more unrefined, but that's to be expected, and I don't find it unmanageable at all.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Do some logs with your AP. I am certain if you are running a 93 octane map and all you have is 91 octane (since you are in California), the car will NOT be happy unless you add in some race gas as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

My flash tune is smooth as silk. No ECL and no hick ups or surging. But I have a German tune from MS Tuning.de ~380 PS and 520 Nm. ~14psi boost level with 98 SuperPlus German fuel (like 93 octane in the states).
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Edogg218
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Mine is stock-smooth, but I have GIAC...
      12-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Walter_Sobchak
Private
Rep

Thanks for the responses. I am running a ton of octane boost and will eventually go back to a 91 map (race gas is tough to find anymore outta the pump). I did do some logging with the Accessport and it didn't seem to be pulling any timing giving me the impression that it was happy with it's fuel quality (Chevron 91 and a whole bottle of 104+). Really what I think I'm feeling is my well balanced, very capable little (stock) car being turned into a hairy chested beast! It may be pushing the limits of some of it's stock components. Unreal what the Cobb does for the power (thanks again Venom...).

Upon further reflection I think the car could use a proper tune and that perhaps it could benefit from some further freeing up of the intake/exhaust in order to smooth out the power. I also need some more time with the thing in it's current state of tune (have only driven to San Diego and back). Next mod on the list is an intercooler (on order) and then an axle back. Then a proper tune at Cobb. Loved my STI but this car is so much more enjoyable; I am amazed what a difference 500 cc's, an extra turbo, and two more cylinders will make!

Edit: BTW B1aze, you are right, I was always worried applying big throttle input to the EJ motor, it seemed more fragile and less consistent in it's power delivery and prone to change it's tune or pull timing. I was always on pins and needles with that thing...

Last edited by Walter_Sobchak; 12-29-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Intercooler is a must on this car so you are definitely heading in the right direction. If you decide to step it up further and get downpipes, I'm sure you'll be pretty happy with its performance in conjunction with the appropriate Cobb map.

Check out what I did with a few bolt on mods and pump gas here while still on the Cobb OTS maps: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644020
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak View Post
I think you've made a number of incorrect conclusions based on poor causal analysis.

You need to describe your problems in more detail, but I am doubting they have anything to do with what you are claiming as far as "boost management" or "plumbing".

If the car isn't running "smoothly" more power mods are not going to help.

The one conclusion that you have hinted at that does seem plausible is lack of traction and possible interference from the traction control system. It certainly makes the car less smooth if you mash the gas. It's a far cry from an AWD car that has no traction control (07 STI does not!)

There's no reason that while using a particular map from Cobb with all the outlined requirements in their documentation that the car would not be "smooth" in a way that any new power mod will make it smooth. That's just absurd.

You are thick on claims and conclusions but thin on truly describing your problems. I would start there, listen to feedback, THEN start to make conclusions. This thread is already terribly misleading to anyone who may not know better.

Back to step 1, list your symptoms and solicit feedback. You have not provided enough information for anyone to be making conclusions about specific issues you are having with your car.

Last edited by Freon; 12-29-2012 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #13
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Only having access to 91 pump will make it difficult to run the sport or aggressive mapping
Sport is fine on 91.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I am running a ton of octane boost and will eventually go back to a 91 map (race gas is tough to find anymore outta the pump). I did do some logging with the Accessport and it didn't seem to be pulling any timing giving me the impression that it was happy with it's fuel quality (Chevron 91 and a whole bottle of 104+). Really what I think I'm feeling is my well balanced, very capable little (stock) car being turned into a hairy chested beast! It may be pushing the limits of some of it's stock components. Unreal what the Cobb does for the power (thanks again Venom...).

Upon further reflection I think the car could use a proper tune and that perhaps it could benefit from some further freeing up of the intake/exhaust in order to smooth out the power. I also need some more time with the thing in it's current state of tune (have only driven to San Diego and back). Next mod on the list is an intercooler (on order) and then an axle back. Then a proper tune at Cobb. Loved my STI but this car is so much more enjoyable; I am amazed what a difference 500 cc's, an extra turbo, and two more cylinders will make!

Edit: BTW B1aze, you are right, I was always worried applying big throttle input to the EJ motor, it seemed more fragile and less consistent in it's power delivery and prone to change it's tune or pull timing. I was always on pins and needles with that thing...
I will second what RnmEVO stated, better cooling is going to be your friend with this car. I have had quite a few issues caused by heat. So FMIC is what I would do next, then follow up with downpipes (That is assuming you are feeling hiccups of any kind when driving.) Pay attention to oil temps, I limped back to the dealership when it hit 280. Other than that, the full torque comes on low which is why I advise modulating your throttle input because from the getgo the boost will hit and not at 5-8 psi like the stock tune.
No problem at all. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Or if you are have any issues with the AP the cobb support team is pretty useful!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1 MSport

I also came from heavily modded Suby, I had a stage 3 externally gated 2011 WRX. I had it putting down 375AWHP/380TQ before returning to stock and selling for a 135i.
Anyway, if you think you're car is feeling boosty, like not linear at all, you should think about getting rid of stock charge pipe and intercooler as well as all the crappy fittings/couplings in between. if you look at the stuff, it is cheap plastic/thin rubber not capable of holding high boost levels.
Sounds like you're off to a fine start though. You should take your Cobb somewhere where you can get it pro-tuned, I have found the custom map to be far superior to the OTS Cobb stuff, way less throttle sensitive and not boosty feeling.

Good luck

Quote:
...is the 135I not so capable of handling extra boost? Santa Claus brought me an AFE intake and a Cobb Accessport and after installing it I've been playing with the 93 octane map. AMAZING power, however it seems the stock boost management and plumbing doesn't seem up to snuff. Difficult to achieve consistent/smooth pulls and almost seems like it's surging. Is it me or is it the DTC, funky limited slip, RWD, or inadequate plumbing that makes it seem so rough in 2nd/3rd gear pulls? My only other boosted car was an STI and it seemed much more capable of handling added psi and put down power much smoother even factoring in the AWD.

Looking to see if my experience is typical, and your opinions.

By the way, my '07 STI with meth, down pipe, axle back, CAI, bigger intercooler, pro tune, under driven accessories and Cobb couldn't hold a candle to the 135 with the meager mods listed above. Very impressive from someone new to the 135. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosturbos View Post
I also came from heavily modded Suby, I had a stage 3 externally gated 2011 WRX. I had it putting down 375AWHP/380TQ before returning to stock and selling for a 135i.
Anyway, if you think you're car is feeling boosty, like not linear at all, you should think about getting rid of stock charge pipe and intercooler as well as all the crappy fittings/couplings in between.
I have no idea how you are connecting the charge pipe with "feeling boosty". This makes no sense whatsoever and is horrible advice.
      12-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Why map are you running on your accessport? I know a while ago there were issues with boost oscillations in the stage 1 maps but I am pretty sure they have been updated since then and fixed. Make sure the map you are using is up to date.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #18
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Try Linear throttle and do at least few pulls to let the car adapt and it will feel more smooth than OEM SW. At least I had this feeling. Though I don't have any intake maybe this can play some role.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
Walter_Sobchak
Private
Rep

Okay, Freon: Midol.

For the rest of you, I put some more miles on the new tune and it seems my car is having trouble managing boost when it's at it's highest level. It seems the BOV is overcompensating at certain moments causing the condition I explained above. It'll be fun to tune it out with more capable parts. LOVE the car and it's capabilities, and I'm still amazed at the torque. I keep threatening to tune back to a 91 map but it is easier/more fun to just keep adding octane! Thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

I don't think you can properly add octane booster from the autoparts store to get from 91 octane to the required 93. All the factory parts are more than adequate to run the Stage 1 OTS maps. I would first start with running a 91 map to see if this fixes any drive-ability or smoothness complains and try both linear and stock maps. If there's still concerns or parts you don't like make sure your on the latest version of the map and post up some logs and I'm sure somebody here can comment on anything they are seeing assuming you can properly describe what it is your feeling that your not liking.
      01-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Pretty sure most "octane boost" sold at autoparts stores is crap. I'd run the 91 map too. I'm bummed since in my area we only have 92 octane. Not sure if I dare try running the aggressive map or if I should keep it at 91. I don't have a COBB yet, but am going to order one tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #22
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Here in Germany, unless you want to pay a ton of money out of pocket, you are stuck running the AAFES (Military Sales) gas, which is basically watered down. I run the 93 octane that they sell which turns out to really be 91 octane, and it runs fine on the JB4 on Map 1, 2(14.5 psi), and 4 (stock boost).

The intake you have won't play too much into the fact of boost slippage, or anything crazy going on with the engine.

When I run the local 102 Octane, or mix E85, I run Map 5, or Map 7. Not sure how the COBB runs it for you though.

Like previously stated, unless you are FBO, or have more supposrting Mods, your car won't really feel like a beast, even I am still waiting for an FMIC. After that, it's game on =D
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
Appreciate 0